“Much Better This Time Around”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Taal Vista Hotel

Taal Vista Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
Makati
“Much Better This Time Around”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family trip to Tagaytay City to escape the Christmas rush in Metro Manila was much better this time. We booked a suite with a view of the Taal Volcano and enjoyed waking up in the morning to the beautiful scenery (and fresh air).

The kids absolutely loved the landscaped garden, and were running the whole morning. We had a nice breakfast while watching them. The next day they took a dip in the cold, clean swimming pool, split into 2 feet and 5 feet portions, under the watchful eye of a life guard.

Service in the restaurant and in the hotel was much improved this time around. The 30% discount from using their sister company BDO Credit Card for lunch and dinner added to our extreme satisfaction.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room with no view. The extra cost of having a room with a view is worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Arvin D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My fiance booked Taal Vista for myself and my parents about 6 months in advance before our wedding date as December is peak season. There were some issues at the start with the booking which we managed to eventually work out through email and a Facebook complaint and that is partially why I have rated it 4 stars and not 5. Taal Vista came through on the day though. Check in was smooth and in lieu of adjoining rooms in the newer East Wing they upgraded mine and my sisters' room to the suite overlooking Taal. Rooms were large, clean and nicely furnished. Bathroom a bit awkward as the frosted glass doesn't provide much privacy so using the toilet with guests in the room feels a bit uncomfy as there's no main door to the bathroom itself. I couldn't avail of the buffet breakfast on the day as I was getting my makeup done and requested for some food from the buffet selection sent to the room - food was good and fresh although they forgot my coffee and gave me fruit juice instead. We had some items from the room which needed to be picked up by our coordinator on the day and it took 40mins for the service staff to collect the items and bring them to the lobby. I'm not sure if it's cause it was busy or because the East Wing rooms really are far from the main area. Bonus was the late checkout granted to us which enabled us to go to our wedding, come back, check out then check into our honeymoon suite. The honeymoon suite was really beautiful, large and well furnished. Loved the bathroom and bathtub. We were so exhausted after our wedding and second pictorial we ordered room service, which took a while to get to us, luckily food was still warm and delicious (loved the Pampanga pizza although carbonara was a bit bland). Buffet brekky the following day was great, good selection of foods but not much fruit left. Overall I still think Taal Vista is the best hotel in Tagaytay but there is room for improvement (though I know in the future I will probably stay here again). I gave a bonus point for service due to the late checkout and room upgrade.

Room Tip: The East Wing is newer and you may request a room overlooking Taal, however it is a long walk to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BVGUARD
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

On the downside, upon arrival the gentlemen urged us to take the hotel's tour of the Taal Volcano as he suggested other operators have hidden charges. Upon accepting the hotel's offer, their driver did his level best to get a bonus built in to the pricing structure by going incredibly slow down to and back up the road leading to the jetty - with the benefit of hindsight, I would risk taking one of the many offers from street vendors. The service by the Maitre D in the restaurant was poor at times seeing as though we were the only guests dining. The rooms are OK, though could do with having the balconies cleaned properly including the windows.

On the upside, the hotel has good facilities, pool, gym, restaurant and so forth. The nightitme entertainment was excellent. The three spanish sounding guitarists in the restaurant were very good, as were the pianist & singer, and flute player in the lobby. My wife & I found this very entertaining, and a delight to sit by with a cocktail and enjoy the music.

The view from the rooms is good, though similar all round Tagaytay. The quality and cost of the meals from the restaurant were as expected.

The choices in Tagaytay seem limited. Overall a nice expensive hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham K
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a friends wedding. Here is what we like about the hotel
-The lobby bar is very nice with volcano view
-the deluxe room we stayed at the new wing is big, bathroom is also decent size, with only average quality of amenities though.
- the restaurant at the ground floor has outdoor seating facing the lake/volcano, the view is just amazing
-very friendly Staff and provides very helpful suggestions-with directions etc. Also I forgot something in the room after check out and was able to locate it very quickly n have the front desk staff helping me give it to other wedding guests that still stayed at hotel to keep it for me.

Okay here is what we think they can do better
- the breakfast.the quality of the breakfast is not matching the hotels standard, it has all the standard items like congee, pastry, hot main etc but the taste is just not good, the two days we stayed there it was packed every morning with mostly local guests, obviously it's popular, they really should do a better job.

- the shower head needs an update, it's one of those fixed on the wall you can't even touch it, I hate those kind....it's just very inconvenient, plus the one in our bathroom, water came out in so many different angles, it's impossible to shower with out getting the hair wet.

-the curtains in the room can't close properly, so it's hard to sleep in. At least for where our room locates, 443- btw it also facing the road, no view at all.

- the location of the hotel is abit off, there is another casino cross the street of it, a McDonald, and a horse ridding course, then there is almost nothing else to walk around with. However, there is a David's salon with walking distance-oddly, so it's perfect for wedding guest to get hair done. 475 for hair do and 153 for wash n blow dry, very reasonable price but u might want to confirm the style n price first, just in case of any confusion. Here is the details

Address : 5950 Gen. E. Aguinaldo Hi-way, Kaybagal, South Tagaytay City, Cavite
Tel. No. : 046-413 0763
Fax No. : 046-860 2822

The 7-11 and a save-more local supermarket is 10 minutes drive away in the busy area, u can get there with the kcal bus by paying 5 pesos each person, or a tricycle bike ride of 50 pesos.

We paid 6800 pesos per night with breakfast- and that's consider the discount price, it's def not cheap. We hope it will do better in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank justjuliet
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent one night at the Taal Vista Hotel - It's a really great hotel with great food and really nice rooms. The view down to the volcano is amazing! The hotel is a bit pricey so I would not recommend booking directly with them (which I did) but to book it via a hotel booking platform (turned out to be much more inexpensive).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

OVERPRICED, as all the other persons who wrote the review said. You could not use the bath tub and the shower is also horrible. The safety deposit box also did not work and the cabinets have loose hinges. To top it all up, the room also smelled of laundry done wrong.

I expect the food to be better, or at least I did. I never had such a bad breakfast in a hotel. My mom even complained that the coffee was bland. She asked for a second cup but it was worse than the first. The Danish I got tasted just like a jam sandwich.

I think all we paid for in that hotel was the scenic view of the Taal Volcano, nothing more, nothing less.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Gino L
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very disorganized service - missed my car booking (to airport) TWICE on same day, housecleaning made my room at 5.15pm, morning calls were basically 3 rings and then hung up, when I passed to staff a set of keys left in safe by previous guest the staff took it without even asking me which room, when I asked concierge to help me call up a spa he asked me to pay for it as an external call (I was like, "seriously? Are you kidding me??!" So he didn't charge me and tried to help...... Food was horrible and overpriced, even my fresh coconut arrived 30 mins after order and was warm and sour.
My bed linen has some blood stains. Shower was really crap (suddenly there was no water halfway), air vent next to aircon was noisy and cold (it wasn't part of aircon, could not turn off). Already I was in new wing.
Only great thing was that outside restaurant there is nice view of volcano.

• Stayed December 2012