“Breakfast buffet needs improvement.”
Review of Taal Vista Hotel

Taal Vista Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Tagaytay
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I and my partner stayed overnight at Taal Vista Tagaytay, 1st week of September 2011. We availed the promo of SM advantage card for a cheaper rate.

The room was clean, spacious and very comfy. We stayed at a deluxe room at the east side wing. The bath room was clean also and spacious, also a cool one because it is only a deluxe room yet they have a bath tub, a plus point! ;) they have plenty of clean towels, another plus point!

The hotel lobby, pool and the view was impressive because of its cleanliness and great view! The hotel lobby staff was friendly enough.

The inclusive breakfast buffet though needs improvement, seriously.. The fruits was not that fresh, if I'm not mistaken they have a fruit served at the breakfast buffet table that is already spoiled, they did not notice until I asked them to check it. If the food here at Taal Vista Hotel Tagaytay impressed me, I must say this should have been my fave place to stay in Tagaytay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bers V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Me and my friend stayed here last August 20. We arrived earlier than the Check in time and luckily we were accommodated though. Thanks to the FOM on Duty ;)
From our Suite you can gaze on the Magical, Breathtaking and Picturesque "Taal Volcano". For me this place is a "Home away from Home" I will definitely recommend this to my friends. Travel time more than an hour but all is worth it. Will certainly go back here again. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the east wing as i believe they were newly renovated
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IamJeanSy
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Tagaytay has become a favorite sight in the Philippine due to its cool climate and its proximity to Manila. In the past vfew years, many hotels and resort have sprouted out, including all our favorite restaurant in this favorite getaway. Taal Vista is the oldest resort hotel in this picturesque hill ridge where you can see the beautiful taal volcano, a small volcano within a lake view. Today, this hotel has been fully renovated with a new wing. Checking in was quick, and the room were good, with the amenities. Breakfast and lunch was standard. I particularly loved the local cultural dance which was part of the lunch program. Suggest they add pillowd to the bed, and invest in some lighting for the show to glamorize it. I have often returned to this very memorable hotel which keeps improving.

Room Tip: Insists on the new wing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Location: You can easily spot this hotel as its Swiss like roof is hard to miss along Aguinaldo highway, but compare to any hotels (Days, Summit Ridge and The Lake Hotel) in Tagaytay it is almost at a far-end stretch. Neighbors to PAGCOR’s gaming hub Casino Filipino, you cannot deny the fact that most of the guests here are foreigners.

Ambiance: Built in early 20′s and one of the favorite meeting / getaway spots of the late President Manuel Quezon, the hotel sure had gone a long way of transformation. Spacious lobby, high-ceilings lounge, thick crystal-clear wall-size windows this hotel never stops to bring out a modest classic feel to guests like me. The garden has the most vast view of the Taal lake in every corner, pool is seriously enticing for a swim, just wished though that there was a bit music in the lounge – maybe some jazz band or old piano just enough to take you in a mood of coziness.

Service: When we arrived hospitality embraced us automatically. They open a door for you, greet you in a most sincere way in late hours, and keep reservation attentively even if it was only 2 weeks old. High regard to cleanliness is just one thing I adored in this hotel and they are most even willing to snap a picture too. But one thing I really really loved is the open letter suggestion policy that every guest should sign after check-out, sealed and addressed to the acting general manager. It is a humbling thought that at least in a way the management is more than willing to listen whether for compliments or constructive criticisms from each and every guests.

Rooms: We stayed in their new Premier Room (no. 84) located in east side wing. Must say, the room is way gorgeous than I expected. Initially spacious for 2 persons as it can house a total of 4 pax. Clean, well-groomed and chic. They have flat screen with cignal hd cable, cute head lamps, wooden fixtures, marbled lavatory – all is a mix of modern-baroque feel that will entice you to stay longer. Not to mention the room is so generous with full length mirrors, spacious cabinets with soft bath robes and a free laundry bag which I totally appreciate for our wet clothes. Hubby fell in love with their wall-size window door connected to the veranda facing directly to Taal volcano; the view is definitely something that wakes you up in the morning. Bathroom is spacious and clean too with a big tub, but I think they should have invested to make look more modern-ish to match the whole room’s persona. Room is wifi equipped but generally slow so I normally use the wired connection. Also you need to deposit at least 2,000 PHP for incidental fee upon checking in.

Sleep Quality: What we totally raved about in this hotel is how spotless the bed was. Big, nicely tucked, clean, and fresh smelling sheets. We hardly hear passing vehicles nor whining horses, no wonder we slept more then 10 hrs that day. Truly a perfect relief from stress.

Value for Money: Purchased our accommodation through a voucher site and we snagged a good deal of 4,300 PHP / night for the Premier room. It is cheaper than its published rate which costs around 7,000-8,000 PHP a night and given with all our observations and granting some little improvements in their part I would still not mind paying that amount.

Room Tip: get the east wing room if you plan to sleep all-day.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank akosihetty
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night during the long 4-day vacation. We arrived at the hotel at around 9AM, much earlier than the 2PM designated check-in time. While there's no vacant deluxe room yet when I inquired at the front desk, the FD personnel "Annie" informed me in an apologetic manner. We just roamed around the premises, had pictures taken at the view deck and heard mass at the pavilion.

We always go to Leslie's to get a nice view of the Taal volcano but Taal Vista has the BEST view.

AMENITIES: There's a pool but we were not able to use it because the weather's really cold during our stay. Wished the pool's heated though. Parking's not a problem as the hotel has a big parking lot. Dining area is big and the layout is planned carefully in such a way that it's not too cramped during buffet hours. My daughter enjoyed the Kid's Corner which consists of a mini library and indoor playground. There were ramps leading to various parts of the hotel so patrons in wheelchairs won't have any problems going around. The grounds near the view deck is well-maintained and kids had a blast sliding on the grassy slopes.

ROOM: We stayed in the De Luxe Room but there's no view of the Taal ridge (just that of the vacant lot next to the hotel) and no bathtub as opposed to what I saw in some blogs. Sheets are clean and pillows are fluffy. The bathroom/restroom does not have a door to separate it from the rest of the room. The restroom & bath area has the sink between them and each area has a smoked glass door. You're not that visible when in the john or taking a bath but it's quite cold when you've just come out of the shower.

STAFF: The hotel staff stops on their way to great the guests--this applies to all from the clinic staff to the janitors. Front Desk personnel are efficient, check-in and check-out was such a breeze. Housekeeping was quick to address our requests for extra towels, etc.

DINING: Prices are on the expensive side. To cite an example, a clubhouse sandwich and a hot chocolate costs 500PHP. However, the waiter assured us that the dish is enough as a snack for us (2 adults and 1 kid). Took a long time for our order to arrive so we just opted to have it delivered to our room. The sandwich was delivered to our room piping hot, the bread still crunchy and the fries are more than the usual. Breakfast buffet (comes with the room) is OK, not much choices for an upper class hotel. Their hot chocolate and ensaymada (a bread smothered with rich butter and cheese) is simply divine!

I'd love to stay in Taal Vista again, but will ask for a room with a view next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I am connected with the competitor of SM Group of Companies for more than 15 years now and there was a time in my life when an offer to work for SM Group came my way. I vehemently declined such offer not only because of the “low class” image SM is known for but also because of the common opinion of having the lack of care for their consumers and employees just in order to earn some more. In short, I have always reveled the feeling of cachet being with my current employer.

My perception of SM has changed as we stayed at Taal Vista Hotel two weeks ago with some friends from the US and New Zealand. I know that this hotel is owned and operated by SM. Thanks to Mitch and Nathan for insisting to stay at Taal Vista! It was really a great choice! The rooms are nice and clean and the view is just incredibly relaxing! The staff all smiles and always on the go to assist us! Great service!

But what really caught our attention was the function held near the hotel lobby (sorry, don’t know the name of the function room). We were waiting for some friends and heard so much fun in the area. Saw some people going in and out of the function room beaming with pride. Then we realized that they hotel staff. When asked, one staff told us that the hotel is launching their smile campaign program as also shown in their smiley face pins. They thought we were complaining of their noise, they even extended an apology. Obviously, they enjoyed so much! Overheard the two waiters (I figured) holding toblerone saying, “ibibigay ko na lang ‘to sa mga anak ko para naman makatikim sila ng tsokolate”. That made our hearts melt big time! And this I say, for a company as big and stable as SM, orchestrating this kind of activity for the staff is just simply perfect! The service culture that this hotel is trying to promote is such a brilliant mission because they are not only making their guests happy but more importantly the employees are rewarded. You have proven me wrong and we completely salute you, Mr. Henry Sy for cultivating such a culture of going the extra mile to make your guests and employees happy and satisfied. I will make sure that we will have similar programs also for our staff.

We will definitely come back not only to witness the smiling beauty of all your staff but also for us to be reminded that SM is a company of good credence and commitment! Truly, SM is a competitor to be feared!

Highly recommending this place for such a great and genuine service!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are recommended. It was just a long walk to get to the lobby and their restau...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sandra R
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend and it was actually our second time here. We just walked in that day, no prior reservation, so I was glad to have a room booked instantly. I guess since it was not a peak season, we got a room as early as 11am.

We got a room in their new East Wing that was facing the horse back riding activity on the other side lot. Unfortunately we didn't get to see any horses, because there was some small construction right infront of our view before we can see the horses. Also, we were on the lower floor so we couldn't see any further. Anyway, the room was still good enough as it will just be an overnight stay as we had activities to do that day.

There were some strong rains when we got to Tagaytay so some areas in the hotel gets a little flooded with the rains trickling inside the walkway through some malfunctioning doors. Some maintenance can be seen wiping the floors every now and then and some blowers drying the tiled floors. However the tiles can really get slippery if not immediately wiped. While walking out one of the nomad mats I stepped on was removed from the flooring, so I tripped over and got bruised on one knee and the face. Good thing I fell on my knees and hands so I was able to prevent my abdomen from bumping the floor (I am pregnant!). My baby's help almost slipped as well on the next day while she was carrying my baby. Good thing, too, she had good balance and was able to hold her ground.

There's some safety hazard there that they have to fix before anyone else gets hurt. I am thankful that they have a resident clinic nurse who attended to my bruises.

Other than that, this is still a great place to stay for quick getaways during the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012