“Great view of Taal Lake. Will stay there again”

Days Hotel Tagaytay
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Tagaytay
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We were in standard room on first floor. Excellent view of the lake.
Restaurant mediocre, but there are fast food places close by (Chow King, Mang Inasal).
Free wi fi access on hotel lobby. Hotel arranged for transportation from Manila airport at a cost of 3,400 pesos (about 70 USD).
Large safe in room (big enough for PC and cameras). No refrigerator in standard rooms.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mb-wv2008
There are newer reviews for Days Hotel Tagaytay

Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and I went to Tagaytay to spend the New Year together. Prior to his 2nd visit, he had look on the net places to stay and basically most hotels were fully booked all except for some few, Days hotel included. We took a cab to get there. We were welcomed with crisp cold air with some light showers and few hotel staff in the lounge area. My folks came along with us to see we get there safely. There were 3 front desk officers but only entertaining one customer at a time. A British guy was I think wanting to extend his stay til the 6th of January and maybe after bit of talk, he had gotten what he wanted. Finally it was my husband's turn. He presented the email - reservation and passport and few more minutes, he was given the keys to our room breakfast stub and remote control to the TV. We were excited since they gave us the 'top' floor (E floor) but gotten bit dismayed that our room was located on ground floor instead. Our room was next to the laundry area and staff entrance and exit. We were on the far end of the room. That, at first didn't dampen my spirit. The room was quite (note, quite) spacious enough and the view from where we were was great, except that as my husband later told me, it's cut off simply because our room was at the far end of the floor and there was a wall that determined the hotel's property.

Anyways, here are the following things we absolutely didn't like much about the hotel:

1. Our room location----- they placed us next to the laundry area. Almost every night, we'd hear noise from the staff passing through, them opening and shutting their doors. They didn't have much sense or were considerate enough at least. brr.

2. Door sign. Out of curiosity, my husband placed out the sign (please change the cups) at the door but none came nor anyone bothered what we needed.

3. Number limit per stay in a room. The hotel's policy clearly stated 4 per room. I swear there were more than 6 persons (kids included or probably more) who stayed in the room next to us. Since all rooms were soooo close to each other, we were constantly woken up by some banging of the door, noise they made, programs they watch on the TV sets, and even the noise coming from their bath room!.

4. Complimentary items per day. On our first stay, we were not given complimentary coffee, sugar, etc. but we had 2 bottles of water (mind you, I think customers should get what they pay for, even complimentary things). The rest of our stay, we didn't get any. I had called the operator and she then referred me to their restaurant. I told that lady we'd like to have the complimentary bottled waters and she said she'd see to it. Til the day we checked out, none came!

5. Hot water. Their information book says that customers receive hot water for their bath and jacuzzi but when my husband checked that out on our first stay, it was neither hot nor warm--- it was cold! I brought this up to their customer assistant and she said she would send somebody over. Ten minutes after, nobody came, so I called in again and insisted to attend to this matter. It was so cold in Tagaytay, there was no way we could take a bath or jacuzzi with cold water. The third call, was made by my otherhalf this time. We were tired from the trip (We had stayed quite late to welcome the New Year in Manila then the following day, packed our things to get to Tagaytay) and wanting to feel at least refreshed. As we were about to go to the front desk or talk to someone, maybe a manager several hotel staff (laundry) just passed by and we called their attention. They were kind of nice and they'd ask someone from the maintenance to fix the problem. Few minutes later, the maintenance guy came, tried to fix the problem up, we checked the water but it was only bit warm. That's the best their hotel could do since their water system (however you call it) was centralized. (Note: Their information book says, they have both HOT and cold water for their customers. Cold water yes, but HOT WATER, there's no truth to it.)

6. Shower room and floor. It looked somewhat like a portable shower room, it was so small, and there were molds round the corner. The sink was quite big (fairly okay) but beneath it had holes for their plumbing (I think they forgot to patch it up). Their jacuzzi leaked. The floor on the other hand was so slippery that my husband almost slipped. Thank God nothing happened.

7. Poor lighting system. The hotel didn't have back up power or generator.

7. Entrance or Pathway towards the hotel. Their short cut entrance to the hotel was only for their staff!! I guess that's their way of saying, 'look we've got everything you need here in the hotel so best not to go out unless you'd like to get exhausted from exerting extra effort walking over short a hill (cars' entrance)."

8. PHONE CALL. They have crappy signal, that is, quite often I could hardly hear the person on the other side of the line or that there would be back ground noise. Plus, it took about several tries before I could talk to the operator or their customer assistant lines. And when I tried to make an outside call, I'd have to call them first before they could open the line. They charge P12 per call. I had several tries of calling some fast food for our dinner but only one came through yet as we were about to check out, the front desk handed over to my husband incidental (phone) charge paper. There listed 4 successful calls! I pointed out that to the front desk officer that I had only one successful call. Pfff *bleep*

9. Wake up call ?. It was six o'clock in the morning or sometime around that when my husband was woken up by a noise coming from our door. There were several knocks on our door and few more seconds, that person was trying to get in but couldn't since my husband had used the other lock (secure lock-- I have no idea how you call it). Pfff! We didn't call their front desk to wake us up or anything! When my otherhalf got up, he saw the news papers that's slipped through the door (Just a thought, maybe the staff was wanting to deliver it in person but still!).

10. Hotel's pool. They didn't have heating system for it. And their shower area's floor (most part of it) had grimes and ugh, more.

11. AND THE MEANEST OF THEM ALL, I think, THEIR RESTAURANT! They have TWO Menus of the same food but with different prices. One bit cheap for the locals and EXPENSIVE PRICE for FOREIGNERS! The waiter handed out the menus to us so candidly and at first I didn't notice it until my husband looked over at my menu. I told him, maybe they have updated it and simply handed the cheaper one by mistake. I called the waiter's attention and said we'd be using my menu instead. The food was served and my husband had better luck with the dish he ordered while I had boiled pork with catsup all over instead of grilled pork ribs and barbecue I had ordered. The restaurant itself had also uninvited guests when ate there--- flies.

The following day, after our trip to people's park, we decided to have dinner again in their restaurant. We were greeted by their manager and told us about their special dish for that night but eventually we turned it down . We were not wearing any sweat shirts thinking that the temperature in the restaurant wouldn't be that bad. However, it was the very opposite. Probably, the restaurant staff had let their windows open or that's just the way it is. There was no music, it was NOT cozy. There were only few who ate there, a family (foreigners) and the other, was a family (most likely the girl brought her family with them) and her fiance/husband. The manager handed the SAME MENUS to us- the SAME MENUS we had the first time we dined in there. This time, it was NOT A MISTAKE! Mine was the cheaper menu while his was the expensive one yet the list of their food was the same as mine!. My husband told the manager about this and he said he didn't know (balony) about it (How could he not possibly know about it? He's the manager and handed the menus personally to us). Since it was so cold, we decided to have the food to go. The manager asked if we'd like our food to be delivered but we declined because of their 20% SERVICE CHARGE. The manager took note of this. We were waiting for about 30 minutes, our toes, nose, fingers freezing! The bill was given to my husband and voila another minus points for the restaurant. They charged us additional 20% SERVICE CHARGE when we clearly stated we'd bring the food ourselves to our room. The manager pointed out it was the cashier's mistake but the latter grunted in Filipino that it was the manager's. Pff, never more in that crappy restaurant.

Apart from bad service the hotel gave, what was also annoying was the constant sticking the board sign up, 'boat ride' in my other half's face. Ah, they're relentless!

I like Tagaytay and its view but it's the hotel's staff and their services that basically puts off people. Beware.

Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank aerix35
Reviewed December 31, 2008

This hotel is very easy to find in the centre of Tagaytay, with good views over Taal Lake. We spent two nights there in December - a comfortable 90 minute drive from Manila if not too much traffic.

The hotel is built into the hillside and all the rooms seem to have a lake view and large balcony. Rooms seemed fairly clean but with a few ants (coming in off the balcony probably). Reasonable choice of TV channels (unlike other reviews, we had no problem with the picture).

There is a large swimming pool which I didn't try but was enjoyed by my travelling companions.

The continental breakfast (included in the price) was basic but not unpleasant and you could upgrade to a more substantial option for a small fee.

There is a very small lobby bar but the place was very very quiet in the evening while we were there. You need to venture out 5-10 minutes in your car to find a more lively place (we went to a good bar called GPoint - pool table and band).

Next morning we drove (15 minutes) to the People's Park in the Sky which has great views and opportunity to buy souvenirs. We were also recomended to visit Picnic Grove but didn't have time.

Overall: not luxurious but good for a weekend away .

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Camel1
Reviewed December 14, 2008

The Good:
I was looking for hotel with a good view in the room with a terrace, and I have gotten what I was looking for. Every room has a terrace facing the Taal lake. I had enjoy the view of Taal.

The Bad:
However, I would have to rate this hotel average for the price for P4900. The aura of the hotel appear to be like an old motel when you walked through the corridor. The room carpet is apparently old and looked dirty. What disappointed us most was the absence of usual hospitable and good service we expect from most Filipinos service companies.

After checked in, we found that the TV was blurry (either something was wrong with the connection or the TV itself). i called for the front desk; there were 3 number (0, 1, 11). 0 was busy, and no one was answering 1, I had to try 11. Finally, someone answer my call.

When the technician came, he asked "anong channel?" without much courtesy and as if we are a problem to him. He tried to fix almost 15 minutes with the speaker on as we endured the noise and channel switching constantly. I asked if it is possible to move to another room so that he can take all the time to fix it. He agreed.

Afterwhile, the reception called. She told us the signal is weak and TV can be blurry in all the room. She suggested that is pointless to move. I was very tired and really didn't feel like arguing, so I said ok. We just rest without TV. But deep inside me, I felt that she was trying to pacify us to keep us in the same room. If signal was bad for the whole hotel, the technician would have known and told us in the 1st place, there is no need to tweak it for 15 minutes.

By the way, I noted that there's a review that rates it 5 star for everything. I really decided to stay in that hotel because of that review. And now I learn that I have to be careful with reviews too.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank paolo2006
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We had a nice family weekend stay at the hotel. We stayed there during low season so we practically own the place. We also got a good rate due to low season.

The location is very good... easy 5 minutes walk to restaurants and grocery or take 5 minutes drive to fine dining places. The weather is so cold during our stay - we did not need to turn the A/C on. The rooms are clean but I saw a big cocroach on the proch which made me doubt the clean appearance of the room. The swimming pool is a bit small but clean, it is not heated though (If it is heated as the hotel claims then I did not feel the difference). Oh, they have a jacuzzi. The food is good and reasonably priced. During the day we visited the Tagaytay Picnic Grove which is 15 minutes drive from the hotel. The place is not nice and is full of hagglers offering horse rides or picnic tables. We decided to go back to hotel and just rest.

The best thing about the hotel is its fantastic view of the Taal Lake. I suggest that you order your food and have them delivered to 1 of the huts on the garden and have your bfast/lunch overlooking Taal.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank greenmangojuice
Reviewed November 9, 2008

It's my first time to visit the Philippines. And I must say that Tagaytay is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. The volcano that is located at the center of the lake is simply stunning. Good thing we've checked in at Days Hotel Tagaytay that offers such great view of the lake.

The hotel staff are all friendly and accommodating. We are received warmly as guests. Well, I've heard Filipinos are renowned for being hospitable. The hotel is clean. The rooms are clean and comfortable. With security features like the safe.

The hotel also offers free wifi at the lobby but the connection/signal is not that strong. They also have services at the business center which comes for a minimal fee.

What I really love about the hotel is the buffet spread of Batu-Kan. The mongolian treat was really good. And the restaurant's atmosphere is also great offering another great view of the lake.

I'm giving this hotel 4 stars. Recommended for travelers.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Jonas_Eberhard
Reviewed November 7, 2008

I was attending a wedding of my classmate in Tagaytay and they tried to book me at the Discovery Hotel but it was not available so I booked myself at Days Hotel Tagaytay.

I had seen the reviews about this hotel and was a bit worried since the comments seemed to be either hit or miss. I surely did not want anything untoward on such a short trip.

Well I was surprised when I arrived. The property had an amazing view and impressive lobby where I was immediately greeted and given a welcome drink of watermelon and a refreshing cold towel. I then went to the front desk and told them I had an online reservation. This attractive lady then asked me for my name and upon my answer pulled out a registration card filled with my details. Apparently they print out the online arrivals and just check to see if the info is correct. This was the fastest check-in that I have ever had in Asia.

I was then led by another pretty lady to a scenic elevator that showcased the Taal volcano. Expecting the worst I dreaded the previously described smell in the corridor but was greeted by a lemony apple scent in the corridor. Same with the room.

My room also was a pleasant surprise with a king bed and a jacuzzi in my bathroom! I quickly pulled open the sheets on the bed and looked at the towels. I found high thread count cotton sheets with a nice feather duvet with sheets similar to that found in the Westin. The towels were also white and thick and not short like the ones you find in the Days Inns you see in the US. They also had a lychee scented soap and a grapefruit scented shampoo as well as lotion and cologne. They even had some of the bath towels folded into an elephant just like what you see on the cruise ships. And did I say that the view from the balcony is just breathtaking.

The service is really great and all the staff are always smiling. I had even forgot my cufflinks and the GM of the hotel took his off and lent them to me. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business