“Don't stay here unless there is nowhere else to go.”

Tagaytay Haven Hotel - Mendez
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked the hotel through another site. Reviews were good so I thought, why not? Why I stayed in the hotel--I was looking for a hotel that could fit a trip that would have us attend a wedding at Canyon Woods and a reception in a venue that was closer to the Tagaytay roundabout (forgot the venue name) and found this hotel.

We arrived in the hotel less than an hour before the wedding we were supposed to attend starts...so we rushed in and out literally. Checking in was quick and we were able to make it to Canyon Woods on time. We got back to the hotel close to midnight and were one shock after the other.

The hotel lobby appeared clean and gave a good impression.

Now the room. I had to make a last minute upgrading of our room since I saw the hotel had a family room. I paid extra money (just about $20 more for the upgrade) to get us a family room and was assigned to room 220. The room size was okay. It had three beds--one queen and two single beds. The room smelled "old" and moldy, like it was not used for a time. The bathroom was stinky and appeared to have not been thoroughly cleaned. No one in our family took a bath there. Since it was already past midnight, we had to bear our own personal complaints and stayed on through the night.

When morning came, the smell of molds became unbearable. We opened the curtains to try to put fresh air into the room but lo and behold, as the blinds went up, we saw our window covered in green molds! We intended to stay until lunch to go around but at 7am, all we can think about is checking out. We left the hotel at 8am, after taking breakfast in the Jollibee outlet just outside the hotel. My son got sick the next day and I was thinking it was probably because of his exposure to the molds or something. Not sure though.

PROS -- Quick check in and check out; food and grocery just outside the hotel; private hotel parking at basement; good location, easy to find.

CONS -- Dirty room and stinky bath; Hotel staff were few and cannot be located most of the time so service was slow; not functioning room telephone

My advice to anyone who might think of getting a room here: choose another hotel. If all else are booked and you have nowhere else to stay, okay. This hotel is good only for those who will just sleepover and do most of their business, may include taking a bath, outside of the hotel. Worst hotel ever.

Room Tip: Book another hotel...not this one!
1  Thank AileenDLV

Reviewed January 29, 2013

affordable room rates but i really cant stand the smell of the comfort room, smells like cigar and the room was not totally uncleaned when we entered it.. odorous ! . . No rugs in the bathroom, my towel fell when i hung it because the hooks have no screw. The shower not functioning welI , got a hard time twisting the noozle. I wont go back there anymore.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room away from the streets, and you should have it cleaned and inspected by the pers...
1  Thank Kristine B
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked 5 rooms for for overnight and I was asked to pay full cash in advance, no cards allowed. When I asked for the manager, the receptionist was giving me the manager's tel. number to call. When we get into our rooms, they are not clean, smelly, the hot water wasn't working, no toiletries, no sleepers and when I requested they gave us the Spartan style that are dusty. Its not the disposable that we use to see in the hotel. Towels are meant for floors.
In a VIP room where I stayed, phone is not working. The five rooms we got were empty. I will never come back ever in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrna A
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was our 2nd stay, the 1st was same time last yr. Our first stay was ok, the only thing that left a bad impression on me was the receptionist. She was not friendly at all. But since the hotel is relatively new (I think), we gave it another try.

This time, the receptionist was accommodating. The problem that I had was how thin the walls are! We had a connecting room, and I can actually hear what the other room was watching. While on the other side, my neighbor's snoring kept me up all night. We didn't have this problem before, but from reading other reviews I guess it doesn't matter what type of room you got. It also says on their menu that room service is available 24h during weekends. Not! The only thing that came out positive from our stay here was that it was only 5mins. away from Bag of Beans.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the stairs
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kat C
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel close to restaurants, shops and public transportation terminals. It is not too close however to tourist spots.

The room we booked, a de luxe room, is spacious and has a large terrace. Bed was not that big though as we were expecting king size. Wifi signal is not that good in room, sadly. The room does not have a good sound proofing - one can hear footsteps and other noise from outside.

The bad side is that they do not provide breakfast. As expected from other hotels that would charge more than 2k (50USD) per night, basic amenities should be provided - drinking water, toiletries and a tissue paper. These were not given when we checked in. Hotel should forewarn their guests that these will not be provided upon check-in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yogaboyqc
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The place is located at the back of a fast food chain and the parking is also located there. The parking is full and there is a really DISGUSTING so we decided to park instead at the front of the fast food chain (JOLLBEE).

We got the deluxe room with balcony, price is around 2.8k for 3 persons. Room is ok, spacious and has a strong signal of WiFi but the TV signal is not that strong. Bathroom is clean. We checked-in around 8pm coming from a tiring trip so we decided to sleep before 12mn (you can hear noices coming from other rooms but we didn't mind.) Here's what ruined our sleep:

Around 3AM the phone rang with it's really loud and irritating ring, a girl from the reception called and asked us to move our car. I was shocked! I can't believe someone will call us and ruin our sleep just to move our car. Ridiculous!

2  Thank Jep R
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Me and my boyfriend decided to stay in Tagaytay before we go to Enchanted Kingdom the following day. We planned the trip 5 days before the actual date so I went searching for a hotel in Tagaytay in Agoda. I checked prices in Agoda and found Tagaytay Haven so I immediately checked reviews in trip advisor. I decided to book the Superior room, in the website it states that its only 1500/night but when i called in the hotel staff told me that they already increased their price from 1500 to 1900. So i decided to book the room over the phone. The hotel is situated after Mendez crossing. Its near savemore, 7/11 and a stone throw away from Jollibee. When we checked in I didnt like the feel of the Superior room because it doesnt have windows. If we will upgrade the room to Deluxe room which is more spacious and has a balcony, we have to add almost 400php. Since we plan to stay in the hotel and do nothing we decided to take the Deluxe room.

The room is spacious, the a/c is cold, bathroom is clean. As expected, since we're in Tagaytay the water pressure is low. The TV signal is kinda weak but wifi signal is strong. Buffet breakfast is served in the 4th floor inside the conference room, you only have 1 choice of dish,soup and egg and thats it. The balcony at night has a lot of insects (moths, cricket etc..) so the whole time we were drinking in the balcony i kept on checking for any flying or crawling objects near me :p The hotel is okay but I think its a lil pricey esp it doesnt have any amenities.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms with balcony is far better than the Superior Room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple