“Great place but Inattentive staff is a 'deal breaker'”

Tagaytay Wingate Manor
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Tagaytay
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Decided to stay here as a birthday treat to my Fiance with another room for my family. The place is located about 2km down from the main road, and first impression is that if you don't have a car, this will be a big problem for anyone staying at this hotel especially if going out at night.

Upon arriving, the place is really nice and quiet, very relaxing which we all like about the hotel. Now here comes the 'deal breaker' for me, which is the inattentive staff at the counter. Took us about 15 mins just to check in and setup our rooms as well arrange the time for our dinner and massage. Initially thought that maybe its the night staff that has problems. Rooms were nice and cozy, maybe small for others but we really don't mind. Massage package is great compare to other spa/massage package from other hotels. We have free dinner as well which is included in the package we have, the staff in the restaurant was better compare to the rest. The dinner was above average as well, but when I saw the prices in the menu it was a bit on the expensive side. Breakfast was OK as well, not great but OK.

The staff in the morning shift was much worse, so bad that its a deal breaker for me. I'm not really the type of guy who is particular with staff, and will not give in specifics about the experience we had during the morning but the attitude of the staff in this hotel (except for the restaurant staff which are friendly and attentive) needs training.

Room Tip: Family pool side room seems nice, but the pool is really cold even in the morning so I don't thi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 12, 2013

It was a nice experience staying at this hotel. We rode the public transpo going to Tagaytay and going to the hotel was quite easy. We were dropped off at the main highway and rode a trike going there. The fare was reasonable. It is quite peaceful, calm, and relaxing where the hotel is located because it is far from the main road. Despite its location, it is very easy to go to the different restaurants like Leslie's, Antonio's, etc and the front desk could call a trike if you don't have a car. Checking- in was a breeze and the room was clean. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was good compared to other hotels that we've been to. Minimal sound could be heard from the outside. We were quite happy with the complimentary massage. Breakfast was mediocre but the service was great. The staff were very friendly, respectful, and accommodating. Thumbs up and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Get rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa Marie S
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our family of 8 stayed in the Family Room Non Poolside, we just had to pay additional 1000 php each for the 2 extra adults because the maximum is just 5 and the child that we have with us stayed for free. Check-in was fast because the people in the front desk are well prepared, we just had to sign a form and they assisted us to our room. We liked our stay here overall, for it was slightly away from the city though commuting is I think quite hard because of the location. I wasn't able to take a picture though of our room in the 1st floor with a veranda for my siblings immediately jumped onto the bed haha. The beds was nice by the way, room is clean with a flat screen tv, refrigerator, closet and a coffee maker. There was a free massage for 2 which is availed by our parents. It was raining when we stayed there but that didn't stop us from swimming in their pool which was wide so we had fun. The pool doesn't have a heater by the way, so the water was so cold back then. The wifi isn't available inside the room, we had to go at the lobby or by the cafe just to access the internet. The next day, we availed the free breakfast, it only had small servings by the way. If ever we'll stay in Tagaytay again, I will still stay here because the place is quiet which is nice for relaxation and family bonding.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

It was a pleasant stay at this hotel. Check in procedure take about 10 mins, and the place is very clean and have quite surroundings. This place is quite far from main road, so the interesting places and outside restaurants are not accessible by walk. Breakfast was average. Have tour desk, but charge bit high premium than outside local tour operators. The room is nice, but nothing special to say that its a honeymoon room. I still wonder why its been called honeymoon room, when all looks just normal as other standard room. We got free 1 hour spa as a complimentary, which is very delightful. Those who do not have own vehicles, must have to ride with taxi or tricycle to get around, as this hotel is little far from all the main attractions.

Room Tip: This place quite far from all the main listed attractions., but good to relax and enjoy your times.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

after a 2 hour trip with a 1500 peso negociated taxiride from naia airport,manila (driver always complaint about the agreed price is to low) we experienced a mediocore saty at wingate. We paid 2600 peso for the double room including breakfast an 1 hour massage for two. The massage was ok, breafast poor, with corn beef from a can for example. 2600 peso is the online' book more than one week in advance rate' but dont worry this rate you can have also when you walk in so no need to pay in advance(no refund!). Standard room had good bedding but was very smal.No free uprgate to a bigger delux evendough there were only 2 other guests. Quality of food is ok but to expensive(80peso for a mango and small banana for example) for the quantity you get.Wanted to charge me for a small burst in the towel.Except from that friendly staff.To me even the 40 percent discounted rate of 2600 peso per night is overpriced.Generally you pay to much for accomodation in the Phills for the comfort you get comparing to other asian countries

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Whenever I go on an out-of-town trip, I don't usually choose a luxurious hotel simply because I know I will be staying out of it most of the time. I just need a simple room just as long as it is clean. I say that again, CLEAN. Tagaytay Wingate Manor perfectly fits my requirement.

The hotel is not along the main road but it is very accessible. You will pass by residential areas before reaching it.

Checking-in was a breeze because the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. We just needed to fill-up a form and they gave us the key after. They even assisted us with our bags on the way to our respective rooms.

Our bed is big and comfortably sturdy. I adore the lovely smell of fresh, crisp linen! We entered the room and a very strong aromatic scent greeted us. I am quite sensitive to such so I ended up sneezing. Thankfully, the incense died out after several minutes.

By the way, our accommodation package includes a one-hour massage. I opted for a foot massage instead of a whole body massage. I just felt that my feet needed more attention. And yes, the massage was rejuvenating!

The bathroom is fairly basic but spotless. Just how I want it. I am more attracted to a simple but sanitary bathroom than a fancy but poorly-maintained one.

I definitely recommend Wingate Manor if you are as OC as I am. It is spotless and well-kept. The reception staff is very attentive and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mariakristela
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Ok, booked this hotel instead of One Tagaytay where I usually check-in because of the reviews here.

Booked for a honeymoon room which at all doesn't have any honeymoon motif to it. The room was super small. Water heater isn't working that well. Sheets are comfortable though. Wifi is weak since there is only one router in the whole hotel which is located in the small restaurant.

Breakfast is set where you get to choose what plated breakfast you prefer upon checking-in.

And yes they do call you up at 12nn to remind you to checkout that very instant.

There is a free massage for 2 per room until 10pm..

The only thing I do not like about this hotel is its location. It is exactly 2kms from the main highway (Magallanes complex with 7-11). If you do not have your own car this will be a disaster since you will be traveling via tricycle from this hotel. No decent view. You're just stuck in the room. Pool was ok didn't use it though.

Staff were friendly. Food was ok even if it is plated and not buffet. :)

Room Tip: look for other hotels near the main highway if you do not have your own private vehicle.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TagaytayWingateManor, Guest Relations Manager at Tagaytay Wingate Manor, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Mr. Valued Guest,

Thank you for your constructive review of our hotel. We have noticed that a lot of guests take the names of our hotel rooms literally so we have decided to change the name of our Honeymoon room to something more generic. Updated room name will be announced on our website sometime this August.

We would like to apologize for the bad experience you had on our water heater. The hotel, however, always ensures all its rooms and essentials in it are functioning properly. In your case, the water heater is functioning properly and the heater was consistent in giving the desired temperature. You could have requested for assistance from our more than willing and happy to serve housekeeping in configuring the heater to your needs.

Please note that our hotel is equipped with 3 WIFI routers which are located at the lobby, 2nd floor balcony, and at the cafe which are all functioning properly. Again, we apologize if you did not have a good WIFI signal inside your room. This is mainly because we prioritized in giving our rooms thick walls that will keep noise from coming in.

We would like to apologize for calling you at exactly 12nn and not minutes before 12nn like other hotels so you can maximize your experience at our hotel. Please note that you also have to give way to the next occupant of your room. And in order for us to please them, we would require ample time to clean your room before we let them in.

As for the location of our hotel, we believe that we are in the best place where we can provide the peace and quiet that our guests are longing for. The hotel is away from the noise and pollution of the main highway where the racket produced by speeding buses and trucks only get worse as the hour gets later. You would then state in your review that you weren’t able to sleep because of the noise coming from the main highway.

Your Guest Relations Manager