“A so-so Boutique”

Joaquin's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 104 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The rooms are located in a separate building, which makes them very homey. In my opinion, too homey that it feels like I'm in my own room. This is perfect if you are constantly traveling and misses the coziness of your home. And if you want quiet and peace. Emphasis on "quiet." But if your idea of "staycation" is escaping your usual routine and lounging in a hotel room, this is not it. The amenities are very simple - an LCD TV, a comfortable four poster bed, a shower (heater is really hard to control), soap, shampoo, and dental kits; which we still need to request. No bathrobes, bathtubs, slippers. The floor near the entrance to the mini-garden was uneven that I can't fully open the door. I also found a few ants on the bed!
The breakfast was just a filler, nothing special. One thing worth noting though is they serve their food on dainty porcelain which is kind of cute.

The only saving grace of this hotel was the mini-garden and the view which is just perfect. Might be a bit awkward to hang around the garden if there are occupants in the adjacent rooms since you only have a low wall as a divider. Good thing we checked in on a weekday.

Location wise, Joaquin's a good place to stay if you want to go on a food trip as it's walking distance to Summit Ridge, Cliffhouse, and Magallanes Square. Easy to get to as well.

Room Tip: Get the room with a mini-garden. The view from the balcony rooms is obstructed by a roof. Make sure...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kay R

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We booked a room for three for my family on the lower ground with garden and arrived at 7 pm so it was dark and have not much to appreciate yet except the fast check-in and the warm smile of the receptionist.. The place has only 8 beautiful suites and we love the beautiful room setting with all the complete amenities. At daytime, we were able to appreciate the perfect scenic view of Taal volcano with all its splendor. yummy filipino breakfast was served hot and so appetizingly delicious. I will definitely go back with my family to stay at this petite hotel!

Room Tip: If you're with kids, the lower floor is absolutely great with the mini-garden!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mikojosh
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay in Tagaytay because a friend from overseas wanted to go to Caleruega and I thought it'll be best for us stay overnight in Tagaytay as we didn't want to be rushed with our itinerary. I came across Joaquin's Bed & Breakfast on Facebook and was sold on the eclectic, quirky, country-feel of the place. I booked a room right away and paid via bank deposit. I mostly coordinated my booking via text/call and was pleased that they are easy to correspond with. We got the yellow room and felt immediately at home. High ceilings, eclectic decor, clean bathroom, and our very own private patio with a awesome view of Taal Volcano/Lake. For breakfast, you have the option to eat in their diner or have it brought to your room. Over-all, we had a good stay at Joaquin's B&B. Staff is welcoming, the place is clean, the food is good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank psl82
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband booked a yellow room for Mother's Day with the family. It was drizzling when we arrived so three of the staff met us at the parking lot with their umbrellas and carried our stuff. We were guided at the frontdesk and were immediately checked in. Room was very nice, clean and peaceful. The bed and linen were so comfortable. Almost everything in it is made of wood- even the faucet, shower head and toilet seat. Just outside was a mini garden with a scenic view of the Taal volcano and is cctv-monitored. While the husband and kids were napping from the trip, I had my coffee and cigarette at the garden and it was relaxing. As the sun sets, mosquitos start to bug, though.

Breakfast was served at 7:30am (which I think was a bit late). Food was average, serving amount of the Filipino bfast (meat/fish, garlic rice, 2 eggs) was better than the American (2 loaves, 2 slices of ham/bacon, an egg and jam).

Room: cable tv (signal can be poor when windy), has an electric fan, mini fridge w/ canned drinks, coffee maker and bathroom has the basic toiletries

AFI: serve breakfast as early as 6am, provide wifi connection for the rooms at the lower area of the hotel

Room Tip: Get the upper rooms with veranda for better view of the lake - no bushes to block the view or insect...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank islandhopperrr
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We were looking for a nice & quiet place to relax and celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I came across with Joaquin's B&B over the internet and was mesmerized by the pictures. We booked a 1-night stay online using a credit card; overnight stay is around 3,500-3,800 with breakfast.

We arrived early Sunday cloudy morning... perfect ambiance for our get-a-way. We were greeted by their warm and friendly staff. Upon signing on their info sheets, we were ushered to our room. Room was located, at least 2 story down the main lobby/dining area. It was peaceful and quiet, with a nice view of the Taal volcano. The steps were quite steep, but we don't mind as we're already captivated with the scenery and the weather. Mind you, we always frequented Tagaytay but this is the first time we ever decided to stay and sleep overnight. Usually, we just had lunch or dinner there and hangout at our fave coffee shop then go back to Manila a little over midnight.

Our room was the purple room at the end of the lowest bank. The staff came in first and made sure the room was okay before handing the key to my boyfriend. After the staff left, that was the only time I entered the room (as I was very busy taking pictures outside). And boy was I ever glad to see our room! It was a purple room with a very high ceiling. The bed and decors that greeted me were really exquisite!!!! I've never liked a 4-poster bed but this one is white with white curtains on the side. the bed's white & yellow colored matresses and pillows are soft and clean. Since it was cold and cloudy, the very soft and comfy bed was really inviting. Cute old fashioned lamps garnished the walls and ceilings. the flat screen tv as well as the cabinets and tables were very nice and they give a touch of homeyness to the place. Outside, at the opposite side of the main door was another door to the mini garden facing the Taal volcano. The side of the room facing the mini garden was composed of glass so you could just open the curtain and you could have a view of the entire volcano even when you're inside the room. The wall has Morrocan style to it but the color was just right and pleasing. The bathroom is clean and the matching towels were also clean and looked new. There was a mini ref and electric kettle and cups available in the room so you can stack up some food and instant coffee/tea for a longer stay. complimentary instant coffee and bottled water were also available.

There's few anticlimax to the room though... there were tall grass and bushes (which could be trimmed) that sightly obstruct the view of the volcano; and the mini garden is sort of public, which you share with the other 2 rooms. There was only waist-high narrow wall which separates the rooms. Good thing though, our room was the only one occupied during our whole stay there so we got all the privacy we want.

We were served a nice breakfast, nothing out of the ordinary when it comes in taste. My boyfriend ordered beef tapa, with rice and egg. I on the other hand has pancakes, eggs and bacon. We were both served with refillable coffees! I was delighted with the dishware they served us with. Dainty teacups, plates, saucers and utensils, which matches the feel of their rooms. Their dining areas have trinkets that are very delightful to the eyes of a snap-happy couple like us. Their serving time was a little longer, but then again, we don't mind as we're busy snapping with our cameras and phones. they also have free wifi in the dining area so it's not really bad when you just want to relax and take time with your food. We ate in their patio, just outside the dining area. Across the patio is a wide terrace with 2 swing seats overlooking (again) the Taal volcano.

My only complain with this bed and breakfast was that their online policy was quite deceiving! When I paid online (full payment thru credit card), the website said breakast was included. Lo and behold, we were charged for our breakast at 190pesos each. They explained that the breakfast included was only for those who made cash payments, via bank deposits. At this point, since it's my boyfriend's birthday and we had an overall relaxing experience the night before, we didn't argue and just paid up. As a matter of fact, we just let that slight misinformation passed thru and booked an extended overnight stay at this b&b!

Room Tip: if you don't mind going down flight of steps, the rooms with mini garden are lot better than the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank misscrammer
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My family and i requested for an ocular inspection of the rooms of Joaquin's shortly before lunch yesterday. From the view-deck of the resto, we were led to a flight of stairs below, to what they refer as the "upper rooms". We were greeted by a musty odor along the corridor. The hotel attendant showed us two of the four rooms on that floor. The inside of the rooms looked like a faded version of the photos on their website. These did not look inviting but rather depressing because of the worn look. The saving grace proved to be the awesome view from the balcony of the world famous Taal Volcano. The attendant then led us to another flight of stairs further down, to what they term as the "lower rooms". The long, narrow and winding stairs was a draw-back as it proved to be cumbersome for me and my companions. Combined with the musty odor, i had a strange feeling of being led to a dungeon rather than a hotel room. The lower rooms looked more pleasing since they were bigger and the sliding doors at the other end, afford one to go out of a mini-garden, where one can breathe a whiff of fresh air, relax and enjoy the magnificent view of the volcano. After the tour, we decided to take our lunch at their resto. I noticed that there weren't much food to choose from their menu. We ordered crispy pata, adobong kangkong and fried tawilis.Food was delicious but... when my husband and i proferred our senior citizens' cards at the end of the meal, we were insulted at the way they handled the seniors' privilege. They only gave a minimal discount on the kangkong, the lowest-priced dish and refused to give any, on the other dishes. My husband muttered that being a retirement home for an owner of the establishment (who is also a senior), it was a dismal disappointment for senior citizens to get that sort of rebuff from Joaquin's!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank sonjie923
Reviewed February 27, 2012

the room (we got the green room, i think) was great: spacious, interestingly decorated, ventillation even without airconditioning was good, clean

the bed: suuuper comfy! and again, seems really clean

the bathroom: space was just right, toiletries available, nice bottles for shampoo too

the location: accessible to private and public transportation, parking lot available

the food: filling though not memorable :p

we got one of the rooms with mini-garden as booked through phone a few weeks before. you can view taal even when you're in bed. we used ensogo voucher so we got discounted rates. even with the published rates, it still is cheaper than most hotels in tagaytay but it's worth it if you're just looking for a quiet and comfy place to relax. what more can i say? everything's good. recommended!

Room Tip: make sure you take note of the room you are booking, as well as the name of the staff you are dealin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple