“Not fit for royalty (or anyone)”
Review of Royal Taal Inn

Royal Taal Inn
Ranked #75 of 97 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Shizuoka, Japan
“Not fit for royalty (or anyone)”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had such a terrible stay it became comical! Here are some of the problems:
- Steep driveway and stairs to hotel (impossible to drive down, although there are a few parking spots at the top).
- Instead of having 'huge windows' (as the room was described) with a view of the lake it had small windows completely covered by curtains. There was no view on entering the room.
- Room was not very clean. In particular the bed was made so the blanket was below the top sheet. The sheets were not clean and there were some stains.
- Poor service. I emailed ahead about whether there was a hairdryer in the room. I was told there wasn't, but one could be provided. On check in at about 3pm I asked for the hairdryer (and soap, as there was none in the bathroom). I was told they would bring the hairdryer but it never appeared. At about 9pm I asked again as I wanted the hairdryer for the morning. I was told that it was in the manager's room and he was asleep. I asked that it be left outside my door first thing in the morning. When I looked outside my door in the morning there was no hairdryer. I went up to reception with wet hair and asked for it again. They said 'maybe later'! We ate breakfast in our room as the rooftop area was freezing cold. While we were eating they told us they would now go and get the hairdryer! As we were just about to leave the hotel, I told them it was too late and had to let my hair dry in the car!! Terrible service. They should have just said there was no hairdryer and I would have brought my own.
- Few room facilities - no refrigerator or tea and coffee making facilities.
- TV would not turn off.

The positive things:
- The security guard at the entrance was very friendly and helped us park the car

Give it a miss - you can find better.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the superior room. Pull the netting curtains back so you can see out the win...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Inoshishi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Flat Rock, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Beautiful rooms with an absolutely breathtakin view of taal lake and volcanoe, in the morning we ate breakfast on the top viewing deck. I would definately recomend this for anyone. If you want to go to the volcanoe, buy your package here, because its 500 pesos cheaper than the packages you buy at the lake.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Bobby H
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 24, 2013

101% happy with The Royal Taal Inn. The staff was super and went out of the way for us. Decent continental breakfast on the roof top terrace with fantastic views of the volcano both on the roof terrace and from our own private room balcony. Kudos to the Royal Taal Inn.

Mark L.

Room Tip: Book an end room which offers even better views of the volcano with more privacy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mark L
Wauconda, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were met by a very friendly staff who continued to be wonderful throughout our stay. The rooms are adequate but the main reason to stay here is the view. Sitting on the rooftop you look out over Lake Taal and Binintiang Malaki, the "fake" Taal Volcano. We took the standard tour, riding in a jeepney down to the lake. We then took a boat to Volcano Island, where we road small horses up to the top of a crater. You should be somewhat in shape for the horses but what a view! The Inn is also close to the People's Park in the Sky, which is a half-finished mansion from the Marcos era with some wonderful views. Back to Royal Taal Inn, the driveway is really steep, which could be a problem for older visitors. Overall, my family and I found it to be quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank James C
Catalunya
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My worst experience during long time. And the price is not cheap. Very distant (5-7 km) from the city, with no easy comunication (Jeepney). Decadent aspect, with impossible entrance (steepy, steps,...). Reception?... not really. Room? ...all old and spoiled, even the blanket down the sheet...!! (unbelievable...). Just a 10% view over the lake. People eating in the corridors...Poor breakfast. Never again. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank llampec

Travelers are raving about these Tagaytay hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Royal Taal Inn which is perched high up and it overlooks the Taal Volcano and the lake.

It's a slightly steep descent/ascent to and from the main road there, the staris are okay to use, we won't recommend parking there.

Checking in was done very well by the friendly staff there and they gave us a nice and comfortable room with the balcony overlooking the volcano and lake.

You will have to head elsewhere for lunch and dinner as they only serve a light breakfast. The nearest place for meals is about 25 minutes walking distance back in towards Tagaytay town. There's a nice restaurant with very accomodating service there and they serve some very well cooked local food there.

They have wi-fi available on the upper balcony.

The upper balcony is very refreshing especially at night with a steady breeze blowing. The sunset view of the volcano and the lake is well worth seeing.

Sleeping there was pleasant and quiet.

A quiet, comfortable and nice place to stay for the night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank daderic888
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a great place to spend a few days overlooking the Taal volcano, perched way up the mountain. Quiet, relaxing, very nice place. WIFI on the roof, free breakfast served in the morning , very clean and well kept. Staff is very nice!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple