“Nice View, NOT PEACEFULL”

Potter's Ridge Hotel
Ranked #11 of 97 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Nice View, NOT PEACEFULL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Disappointing, other options at similar price better value for money. Breakfast was very limited, served incorrectly twice, cold. Coffee was a mix of chocolate and coffee and did not taste good. TV cable, did not function

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank markfaulkner8168

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My fiance and I stayed The Potters Ridge on september 2012 in the superior class room, this room has a balcony with superb views, Air con, en-siute, and tv - dvd player. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, the shower was only just warm and we had plenty of towels and toothbrush packets, Our sleep was undisturbed and indeed our whole stay was very peacefull and relaxing.. The hotel was not at all busy and we would share the very ambient hotel resturant with only one other couple/family. The food was very nice and very good value, I realy liked the southern fried chicken.. The staff are friendly and efficient at their jobs. On our arrival the bus driver stopped us outside the hotel and it is another fifteen minute drive to Tagaytay itself by taxi/bus, this isnt a hotel for walking in to town but is set high up on the hill wich makes it cooler. I/we rate this hotel highly as it was very clean, peacefull and scenic and we have reccomended to friends and family..

Room Tip: They are very happy to show you the room's and its worth paying the extra for the view ..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simon p
Muides sur Loire, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I flew into the Philippines from Dubai with our two year old daughter to visit my family in Manila. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were also flying in from France. It was their first visit to the Philippines. We searched on the internet for hotels and decided that Tagaytay's proximity to Manila, its beautiful scenery and climate would be a good choice for my in laws who were visiting for the first time. Incidentally my parents-in-law own a bed and breakfast in the Loire Valley, France and we thought that they might enjoy staying in a small rustic hotel. One of the hotels that we looked into stood out because of the nice photos featuring beautiful views of the lake, volcano, the  combination of rustic and modern interiors and the good reviews with friendly prices- Potter's Ridge Hotel. We booked two Deluxe rooms with direct views of the lake for ten days. After staying with my family in Manila, we headed to Tagaytay. Upon arrival at Potter's Ridge Hotel,  we were happily greeted by the staff with a relaxing welcome drink of mint tea.  After settling into our rooms for a while, we decided to treat them to a traditional Filipino meal at their beautiful restaurant at the topmost floor. We definitely ordered Filipino cuisine and were served  with crispy Tawilis ( indigenous freshwater sardines) matched by a delicious soup of Bulalo (beef with bone marrow) and piping hot white rice. I was quite relieved that my in laws were very adventurous with their palates. My husband and I took them  around the scenic spots and spent a few times at the beaches nearby ( about 45 minutes away). A few days later, my husband headed back to Manila to attend a friend's birthday and had to leave behind my in laws all on their own. I worried because they barely spoke English. However, they were very insistent on being left behind as they have already befriended the staff at the time so I relented. We we returned again to the hotel,  were informed that my in laws were having a blast  and wanted to stay a few more days so that they could climb Mt. Pico de Loro. Language apparently wasn't  a problem anymore because  the  owner of the hotel spoke fluent French and entertained them. It was comforting to know that they were having such a good time. I even found out that they  convinced the local magbabalot (duck egg vendor) to rent them the bike he uses to hawk his duck eggs so that they could go biking around Alfonso, Cavite. It was so funny. Over all, I was glad that my in laws liked their environment and also kept an open mind.  But I'm also convinced that had it not been for the generosity  and kindness of the hotel staff,  my in laws wouldn't have been so adventurous in the first place.  Potter's Ridge Hotel gave my in laws good memories of our Philippine culture and traditions. For that I am truly grateful.

Room Tip: The hotel has no elevator so be prepared to go up and down several flights. The staircases are not s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mary ann b
Pasay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked a room for two because of a sudden plan to go to Tagaytay. Since it was one of the cheapest rates in the Agoda website, I decided to book a room with very minimal expectations. Before arriving to the hotel, I asked if they charged for corkage since we had friends with us who wanted to stay and drink (we brought our own drinks). They did charge a minimal amount and it was well-worth it. We checked-in late (around 9pm) and we had a few friends with us. Surprisingly, the person who did our registration told me that they reserved the veranda for us until 11pm. The hotel was clean, quiet and gives you a feeling of tranquility (probably, because it was far from the main tagaytay strip). Our friends had good time and enjoyed the weather even if we were drinking in a quiet, private place. Rooms were simple, but clean. Only comment I have is that they should have a bigger TV, cable channels and the we woke up to a bad smell emanating from the toilet in the morning even if we did not use it. Overall, it was a good, short stay in this hidden gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: Arrive early to get a room with a view. The room we had did not have a view. probably because we arr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KingSevens
Quezon City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been reading good reviews of Potter's Ridge that I became curious and decided to check it out when a good friend celebrated her birthday.

First, the place. The hotel is located in Batangas so do not expect that it will have a great view of Taal Lake. It does have a good view of it, but not the really great side. The hotel has a charming, homey atmospehere. It is beautifully and tastefully decorated, with simple clean lines. Judging from the artworks and the decors and books strewn over the place, the owner seems to have a love for travel, reading, and flowers.

Now the room. The rooms we were given was a deluxe room. It had a matrimonial bed and a single bed. To be honest, the bed wasn't that great. It was a bit lumpy. The pillows were comfortable enough. The room was spacious enough for three people. There was a place to hang your clothes, an armchair, and a small table with two stools. Toiletries were provided. Bath and face towels were also provided. If you got a deluxe room, maybe you will get one with a view of the lake. in our room, you would have to crane your neck out of the window to get a glimpse of the lake.

Free Filipino breakfast is provided. The tapa is good, the longganisa, so-so.

The staff were friendly and go out of their way to help you out. We tried to check in here before but since they were already full, they referred us to a nearby hotel. Not every hotel would do that. Now this is why I said before that their service is great: While we were checking out the following day, we were conversing with the front desk staff. During the conversation, it was casually mentioned that my friend had her birthday the day before. They right there and then, baked us a cake. That's what I call great service! So, Potter's Ridge, many thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank biyay2
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We came to this Hotel with great expectations as it had a few good reviews and the price was not too bad for a room with a view of the lake and the volcano.

Finding the place was a nightmare for us, we got lost because the drawing of the map was very confusing. Their sign is not visible so much at night and there is no lighting. The distance between the landmarks they placed in the map were very deceiving. It takes 30 mins from the 711 rotonda to get to this place. It is really batangas instead of tagaytay.

Be careful with parking also. their frontage only accomodates 7 cars and they are very close to the main road. Lowered cars will have a problem as there is a sudden dip from the asphalt to the parking area.

The food during breakfast was not anything special. It was classic silog meals.

The service was decent though and was the redeeming feature for me.

Room Tip: get the lake view rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don Gabriel Oli... C
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

These days most hotels in Tagaytay are pretty much empty because of the rainy season. It's usually in these time when most services in a lot of establishments suffer, in our experience because staff generally give out slow service because they know that there are only a few customers. Pardon our observations but it has been our experience. Such is not the case with Potter's. We came on a weekday and there were a few guests yet everybody was treated very well. Check in was swift and we were treated to a warm mint tea from their garden. Nice refreshing treat for first timers in this hotel. Then we for lucky being upgraded because senior management was there at hand. Their rooms are very cozy and the beds were hard but comfortable. I wasnt surprised that they were firm because they were orthopedic beds. They had a lot of movies to choose from and we were given day passes to a five star resort nearby. Now that was a pleasant surprise. We just decided to stay in the hotel because the rain was pretty heavy but we were pampered by the attentiveness of the staff because they even bothered to call us if we wanted dinner. When my family decided to have dinner there, the staff set up a beautiful candle lit table and we were served good food at reasonable prices. The architecture and interiors of the restaurant made up for the lousy weather. My kids enjoyed browsing on the net with the free WIFi and my wife and I enjoyed desserts prepared by their young Pastry Chef named Silver. A good name for excellent pastries he made us try out. No question that we are coming back again and will recommend the place. Thank you Potter's Ridge Hotel for your good service.

Room Tip: Try their Olive Oil massage with combination shiatsu and Swedish. It was very relaxing to have it in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family