“Better than expected”

Ranked #11 of 97 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Pasay
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked a room for two because of a sudden plan to go to Tagaytay. Since it was one of the cheapest rates in the Agoda website, I decided to book a room with very minimal expectations. Before arriving to the hotel, I asked if they charged for corkage since we had friends with us who wanted to stay and drink (we brought our own drinks). They did charge a minimal amount and it was well-worth it. We checked-in late (around 9pm) and we had a few friends with us. Surprisingly, the person who did our registration told me that they reserved the veranda for us until 11pm. The hotel was clean, quiet and gives you a feeling of tranquility (probably, because it was far from the main tagaytay strip). Our friends had good time and enjoyed the weather even if we were drinking in a quiet, private place. Rooms were simple, but clean. Only comment I have is that they should have a bigger TV, cable channels and the we woke up to a bad smell emanating from the toilet in the morning even if we did not use it. Overall, it was a good, short stay in this hidden gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: Arrive early to get a room with a view. The room we had did not have a view. probably because we arr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KingSevens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Quezon City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been reading good reviews of Potter's Ridge that I became curious and decided to check it out when a good friend celebrated her birthday.

First, the place. The hotel is located in Batangas so do not expect that it will have a great view of Taal Lake. It does have a good view of it, but not the really great side. The hotel has a charming, homey atmospehere. It is beautifully and tastefully decorated, with simple clean lines. Judging from the artworks and the decors and books strewn over the place, the owner seems to have a love for travel, reading, and flowers.

Now the room. The rooms we were given was a deluxe room. It had a matrimonial bed and a single bed. To be honest, the bed wasn't that great. It was a bit lumpy. The pillows were comfortable enough. The room was spacious enough for three people. There was a place to hang your clothes, an armchair, and a small table with two stools. Toiletries were provided. Bath and face towels were also provided. If you got a deluxe room, maybe you will get one with a view of the lake. in our room, you would have to crane your neck out of the window to get a glimpse of the lake.

Free Filipino breakfast is provided. The tapa is good, the longganisa, so-so.

The staff were friendly and go out of their way to help you out. We tried to check in here before but since they were already full, they referred us to a nearby hotel. Not every hotel would do that. Now this is why I said before that their service is great: While we were checking out the following day, we were conversing with the front desk staff. During the conversation, it was casually mentioned that my friend had her birthday the day before. They right there and then, baked us a cake. That's what I call great service! So, Potter's Ridge, many thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank biyay2
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We came to this Hotel with great expectations as it had a few good reviews and the price was not too bad for a room with a view of the lake and the volcano.

Finding the place was a nightmare for us, we got lost because the drawing of the map was very confusing. Their sign is not visible so much at night and there is no lighting. The distance between the landmarks they placed in the map were very deceiving. It takes 30 mins from the 711 rotonda to get to this place. It is really batangas instead of tagaytay.

Be careful with parking also. their frontage only accomodates 7 cars and they are very close to the main road. Lowered cars will have a problem as there is a sudden dip from the asphalt to the parking area.

The food during breakfast was not anything special. It was classic silog meals.

The service was decent though and was the redeeming feature for me.

Room Tip: get the lake view rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don Gabriel Oli... C
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

These days most hotels in Tagaytay are pretty much empty because of the rainy season. It's usually in these time when most services in a lot of establishments suffer, in our experience because staff generally give out slow service because they know that there are only a few customers. Pardon our observations but it has been our experience. Such is not the case with Potter's. We came on a weekday and there were a few guests yet everybody was treated very well. Check in was swift and we were treated to a warm mint tea from their garden. Nice refreshing treat for first timers in this hotel. Then we for lucky being upgraded because senior management was there at hand. Their rooms are very cozy and the beds were hard but comfortable. I wasnt surprised that they were firm because they were orthopedic beds. They had a lot of movies to choose from and we were given day passes to a five star resort nearby. Now that was a pleasant surprise. We just decided to stay in the hotel because the rain was pretty heavy but we were pampered by the attentiveness of the staff because they even bothered to call us if we wanted dinner. When my family decided to have dinner there, the staff set up a beautiful candle lit table and we were served good food at reasonable prices. The architecture and interiors of the restaurant made up for the lousy weather. My kids enjoyed browsing on the net with the free WIFi and my wife and I enjoyed desserts prepared by their young Pastry Chef named Silver. A good name for excellent pastries he made us try out. No question that we are coming back again and will recommend the place. Thank you Potter's Ridge Hotel for your good service.

Room Tip: Try their Olive Oil massage with combination shiatsu and Swedish. It was very relaxing to have it in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bambi O
Batangas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family and I have been traveling a lot and was visiting the Philippines to attend a wedding in Tagaytay. This hotel was recommended by friends who swore at the fantastic view and good service of the staff. Since we didnt want to stay in Manila, we opted to stay in Tagaytay because it's only an hour going back to the city. Tagaytay's climate and charm are undeniably it's selling point for visitors. Potter's Ridge Hotel offers a refuge from all the hustle and bustle in the city. It has one of the best prices I've seen in Tagaytay. We loved sitting by the veranda sipping our complimentary mint tea. Breakfast is served on the topmost floor where it has sweeping views of the beautiful scenery. The restaurant's design makes one feel like being in a conservatory with all it's glassed windows. The architecture of this hotel is outstanding. Its decievingly small from the outside yet spacious and with numerous guest rooms on several floors. We were treated with baked ice cream by their resident pastry chef which we thoroughly enjoyed. Then the owner gave us free day passes to the exclusive golf and country club. We were touched by her gesture of kindness and our children enjoyed bowling and swimming there.she also sent us off to Ambon Ambon waterfall which was only 20 minutes away. My husband and I went waterfall trekking while our children enjoyed the mud slides. The following day saw us doing the zip line at Residence Inn, a 3 minute drive. Our stay was made special by the extra mile the staff and management put in to make us all feel special. Potter's Ridge Hotel has a very serene atmosphere conducive to relaxation. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The superiors are reasonably priced and have direct views of the lake and greenery
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ronamay A
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

For a small hotel, this one sure packs in some punches. I met my fiancé here. I was planning o proposing to her at this romantic and quaint hotel by the ridge when my plans got sidelined by too many business travels from our bank. Fortunately when I got back to the Philippines, my fiancée had arranged for us to go to Potter's Ridge as next year in February 2013, we are going to get married at Calaruega and will have our families staying again at this friendly hotel. Everyone from senior management to the general staff are very nice, their banquet consultant was at hand to give us advice on our cocktails because we plan to have a more intimate celebration at Potter's Ridge after our wedding. My fiance and I are excited but I think the hotel feels the same way as this is where I met my future spouse and I can't wait to get married and spend our honeymoon in their suite.

Room Tip: The suite is the best looking room, of course. The hotel apparently will upgrade more rooms into sui...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tyson P
Aydin, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

When we arrived at this cozy looking hotel, we thought that it looked rather small from the outside. But don't get fooled by their facade; it has five floors, nineteen spacious guest rooms and a gorgeous restaurant on the topmost floor. Their food is absolutely delicious and I was surprised to have been able to order baked Alaska, a complicated dessert that's made of ice sponge cake. We took their two deluxe rooms that were adjoining. The rooms It has a sweeping view of the region of Batangas.We stayed at the cozy restaurant because they have great food and service.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite. Prices are
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family