“Honesty gets a vote of excellence”

Potter's Ridge Hotel
Ranked #10 of 99 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Mexico City, Mexico
“Honesty gets a vote of excellence”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I'm thrilled to visit a hotel that is sincerely nice and honest. First of all, let me share that I had a wonderful time at Potter's. Theyre very clean and the rooms are geared for relaxation and a good night's sleep. I watched a lot of free movies on DVD and was offered a tea to relax me. But when I left my money and watch in the drawer, the staff immediately called me to come back and get them. I'm impressed because not only were they all very nice, but, they went out of their way to make sure I got my wallet and watch back. That gets my vote of excellence.

Room Tip: I stayed at the junior suite and it had glassed windows that are from floor to ceiling which gave me...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Santiago H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I got a room with a balcony with a partial view of the lake.
I agree with other reviewers who commented that the view is the selling point of the hotel.
I have to disagree that the hotel is 5 (or 4) star level, though.

Pros:
The place is very clean and well furnished at the lobby and halls.
There is a helper who manages car parkings since there is not that much parking space
The staff is very helpful and accommodating
Hot water is available (though water temprature tends to change while you're using the shower)

Cons:
1.The curtains are the flimsy-lacy type of material. Not that bad to look at BUT:
- If someone is standing in the balcony right outside and the lights are on in the room, the person outside can see everything inside
- In the morning, the glare from the sun is WAY TOO BRIGHT due to the flimsy curtains. We woke up at 7am because of this! Not good if you're planning to sleep in and/or you had a late night. Add that to the white sheets and walls, it was blinding. Seriously, not good. They should atleast have additional heavier curtains for rooms with east-facing windows and those facing a balcony.
2. Better sound-proofing needed. In the morning, there were some kids talking outside in the hall and we can hear the babble. They were talking at normal voice level. We heard footsteps of running kids outside at 8am and people conversing outside in the hall.
3. Spartan rooms. Better furnishing needed. The cabinet had this unattractive red-orange paint that was slightly peeling. The rooms are quite nice, but a bit more decor and furnishings can make the rooms look a whole lot better (we saw the other rooms and they are all furnished the same way, basically). Shame, really, since the decor in the hallways look very interesting. The bare rooms are not that "homey"
4. No cable and no working phone in the room. There was a note that you can call the front desk using your mobile and they'll reimburse you on check-out.

We weren't able to try their breakfast because we wanted to eat at Antonio's Breakfast, so I can't comment on that. The people at the front desk asked for our breakfast orders the night before so I guess you can choose what you want?

Don't expect the beds to be soft. I was turned off when I sat on the bed and it felt a bit hard. We looked at the beds in the other rooms and they're all the same. However, after sleeping that night, it turned out that it wasn't that bad. It was quite comfortable infact. The next morning, I had no complaints against the bed anymore :)
We had to request for additional pillows since they only provided 2 and one was a bit flat.

All in all, the place is quite nice for the price. They should improve the room furnishings since some of the cons can actually turn people off.
After the nice greeting and decor from the lobby and hallways, the rooms are a little bit of a let down in terms of decor and ambiance.
I would probably stay here again if we don't find other nicer places.
Not sure if I would recommend this to friends (maybe if they don't expect too much from the place?)

The place is nice, with a lot of potential for improvement :)

Room Tip: the morning sun is too bright in the eastern-side rooms. the curtains are too flimsy. the western ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kenshen
Paris, France
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I'm glad I stumbled upon this very cute place right in front of Taal Lake. I slept so well; it's so peaceful. The staff were so nice and very helpful. They even offered to give me a pass at Splendido Country club and I must say it was worth the visit; their facilities are five star standard. Their massage therapists were excellent. I dined at their top floor restaurant (they have white granite floors and I don't know how they keep it spotless) and had the best time of my life with my loved ones. I sat by their veranda soaking p the view and the clean air. I'll definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Ambon Ambon falls is 30 minutes away from the hotel going through the Municipality of Laurel Batanga...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Muriel L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Pros: Courteous staff, quiet hotel, big room, free Wi-fi. The massage therapists were very good. Free cookies and tea upon arrival. But perhaps the selling point of this hotel is the excellent view of the Taal Lake. We had our breakfast at the balcony of their beautiful dining hall overlooking the lake and it was soo relaxing. Me thinks that view alone makes up for the entire trip. :)

Cons: Quite far from the restaurants in Tagaytay area. The tv is tiny and there was no cable! Good thing my bf bought a DVD of The Big Bang theory and we just borrowed a DVD player from the staff. :) The furnishings could be more luxurious, pity because the room was quite spacious. The breakfast was ala carte and only decent. It's better to bring a car so you can go out even late at night and return since commute is virtually impossible after 10pm.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redrained
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at Potter's Ridge Hotel because it was recommended by our Filipino friends from San Francisco. We saw the photos they took of the place and liked what we saw. After about a couple of months we decided to take trip to Manila and then Tagaytay, where the hotel is situated. It was the wrong time of the year to come. There was a storm and we were the only guests at the hotel. We stayed at the deluxe room over looking the scenery but we only saw some lights far below and we thought that would have been a great view if not for the weather. Fortunately, the staff took good care of us and served us some warm Taragon tea. Breakfast was a delight as we discovered a gem - their beautiful restaurant. We enjoyed their complimentary breakfast which was one of the best omelette we've tasted. We had a relaxing time doing nothing and just enjoying the rain. There was cable TV but the staff offered to set up the DVD for free and we were able to watch some really good movies. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were given a late check out. In the end we didn't mind the weather as the staff of the hotel we so nice, we were absolutely spoiled.

Room Tip: For a deluxe room, we were hoping that there was a kettle in the room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael T
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed July 17, 2011

potter ridge is far away from the town.. all the staff were good..very polite..and the first day..there s no choices of breakfast, and we did understand, it was raining and their supply didn't come on time. i loved the place, it's knda quite. but ours, was wrong timing..it was raining the whole two days we were there..so all you see was fog..over all, potter ridge, is perfect when you bring your own car...nxt time..we better do that..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank jhing38
malolos
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stumbled on this scenic hotel on our way to another hotel in Alfonso, Cavite, just past Tagaytay. Rooms facing Taal had great views, but the facilities weren't really top-rate. It would have been forgivable if their staff, particularly their lady manager, were more considerate and accommodating of their guests. Why? We upgraded from our initial nondescript standard room (with no view of Taal) to what we thought was a superior room (and, we thought, just a P350 upgrade in room rate). Instead when we checked out, we were told we had to pay P900 more for the upgrade because we had actually moved to a de luxe room -- which wasn't made clear to us by either the manager or the student trainee who ushered us into the room. We felt cheated and insulted, and no one among the meek staff wanted to help us out or offer a compromise, since we felt it was their mistake. The manager even had the gall to point her finger at me! We could have forgiven the average rooms, expensive food and so-so staff, but that was the move that ruined the experience for us. Come to this hotel only to enjoy the view -- don't stay in.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by their
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends