“positive and negative comments”

Nurture Wellness Village
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Tagaytay
Manila, Philippines
“positive and negative comments”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Positive: The place was quite a decent size. The feeling was spacious and not overcrowded with buildings or huts. The combination of nature and the rooms and huts were nicely done. The staff were attentive and friendly. My wife really enjoyed the coconut scrub. We had ordered two dishes as a pre-lunch snack, and the presentation was nice.

Negative: The owners were a bit aloof. We sat down at the outdoor dining area. They were there. And yet, no acknowledgement whatsoever. We expected just short "hello. welcome to our Nurture Spa Village. We are the owners and wanted to know if our services and place met your expectations, etc..." NONE there. So, the sense of Welcoming new clients, and potentially long term clients, was not there. Furthermore, we got our Spa Service through Groupon, which claims to have a value of Pesos 10,000, but paid only 5,000. But when we got our service and our set lunch, we found out that the management did adjust our service and meals for a pesos 5,000 deal. So, in essence, it is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. We did not, in actuality get a Pesos 10,000 worth of service for 50% off. We only got a Pesos 5,000 service and meals.
For us, we felt that the management was very short sighted in doing so. The primary goal to offer through a Groupon, is for those 10 group of buyers to be completely satisfied with a Pesos 10,000 worth of service and meals. To be able to spread by word of mouth of this haven, which is only a skip and a hop away from Metro Manila. And to be a frequent customer to this place.
Anyway, perhaps, we were the only people that felt this way. And, we did say some of the positive things to our family and friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank solarbean
MikeTurvill, Owner at Nurture Wellness Village, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Dear Solarbean

Thank you for your review. We are grateful for the positive comments you have made and also the suggestions you have made for improvement. I would like to address these concerns one by one...

The owners were Aloof; I apologise that you felt this way and it was certainly not our intention. Many couples come to Nurture to spend time with their 'special someone' and as such our usual policy is not to disturb couples who have chosen Nurture as a place to re-connect and be together.

My wife and I are also quote shy however your review has made us think we need to improve in this area...thank you!!

Group On; We have checked our records with regard to your visit and it seems that the services you enjoyed were worth 8,500 PHP which is indeed less than that placed in the offer. I hope that the personal call, from my wife, last week has addressed this issue and we hope to welcome you back to Nurture very soon.

Thank you once again for your comments

Dr Mike and Cathy Turvill
Owners, Nurture Spa Village

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This is a great place to spend 3 hours in.

There is a list of treatments that you can opt to combine. My wife and I each had treatments lasting for 3 hours in a massage room for 2. It had its own bathroom so you could clean up afterwards.

Had a wonderful full body massage and facial. I was likely asleep within 5 minutes and only remember being told to turnover. Room was very quite, properly cooled and had an good audio system playing some soothing music.

The massage therapists that we had were both well trained.

Best of all, the treatments for both of us were reasonably priced.

We didn't have time to explore the grounds but, judging from the number of cars in the parking lot, it must be a sizeable place since we didn't see any of the other guests.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 23angeles
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Went with some girlfriends to Nurture Spa and had a relaxing overnight break which was excellent value for money.

The spa is made up of a handful of rooms and two traditional huts in beautifully planted and maintained grounds in Tagaytay.

A three hour treatment at the hands of a skilled therapist alternately sent me to sleep and made me squeak as she found my "stress muscles".

would definitely recommend

Room Tip: rooms near the pebble walk are best
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ejwinn
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This is just a review on the spa treatment: I had high hopes coming to Nurture Spa -- the place was beautiful and well-maintained -- with lots of cozy corners to sit and just look at the landscaping.

It was quite a walk to the treatment area, which was kind of damp and dark. We got massages that were supposed to be relaxing -- but weren't -- mainly because they were so average you end up lying there wondering why you paid more than you would at other places in Tagaytay. The worst part was getting what felt like sticks pushed against the soles of your feet over and over again. I thought maybe I was being too picky, but I was in a party of three and we all had the same sentiment. I suggest you get details on what each massage entails to avoid unpleasant surprises.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jen L
MikeTurvill, Owner at Nurture Wellness Village, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear Jennylim

Thank you for your review...we are very sorry to hear that you and the other members of your party did not enjoy your massage.

Nurture Spa Village has set out to create a Filipino spa experience, drawing inspiration from authentic and traditional Filipino healing practices which include Hilot and Dagdagay. Dagdagay is a native foot treatment from the Cordilleras using bamboo sticks applied to pressure points on the foot, similar to foot reflexology. We incorporate the Dagdagay as a pre-treatment ritual in all our massages because of its health benefits. It is unfortunate that you felt pain with the bamboo sticks; pain may sometimes be an indicator of imbalances in the body. Our therapists undergo at least two months of training under internationally licensed trainers before they are allowed to give a treatment to a paying guest. It maybe necessary for the therapists who provided your treatments to have a referesher in order in that they can meet your and our requirements.

We would be grateful if you could let us know the exact date of your visit (which seems to have been during 2010) in order that we can determine which therapists performed the treatments (our documentation allows us to identify which theraipist performed every treatment) and we will put them through some refresher training.

Thank you again for the review and the positive comments you have made about our surroundings

Mike and Cathy Turvill
Owners Nurture Spa
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Thanks to Citibank credit card for such a wonderful spa treat!

The bank gave me a voucher and it includes 18-hour stay in Heritage Huts, one-hour spa massage all good for two!

I learned that our free room is not air-conditioned so I upgraded it to Deluxe Garden View room instead. As we arrived at the place, they served us a welcome Pandan Tea drink. It's really delicious and relaxing. Then the room service boy who accompanied us on our way to our room was really nice! He served all of our requests and I can feel he's really a good person.

The room is clean and a bit huge. The bed, toilet and bath, are clean and comfortable to use. They served complimentary water which has an explanation why it's good for the body (stay in this hotel so you'll find out :p ), also with complimentary cookies, hypo allergenic toiletries, and bath robe. Downside was the television doesn't have cable.

At morning, I saw the real beauty of the place that gives you a simple message "you're here to relax". Oh yeah, it's really relaxing and beautiful!

They served breakfast at a price range of 120php-250php. At lunch, I recommend you try their "Kalderetang Osso Buco". It's a beef shank stewed in liver sauce - a mouthwatering food!

Their spa treatment is awesome! We tried their hilot massage, my boyfriend who's a first timer in massage treatment likes it a lot! The personnel who did the spa are very friendly.

All-in-all.. the experience, place, and value of the spa hotel is worth it!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Princess Anne R
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 7, 2011

My husband and I reserved their "romantiko package" months ahead. We received an e-mail confirmation and were immediately charged the reservation fee.
On the day itself, we called twice, first to confirm the reservation, and then to ask for directions. Both people we talked to assured us that everything was ready.
We got there and had lunch, after which we were brought to our room. The package comes with a Premium Forest View Room (the most expensive room). Imagine my surprise when we were led to a small room with a bed that does not look right. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the "bed" was actually two massage tables put side-by-side, with a mattress on top! It was actually one of the spa rooms! (the rooms where they give massages) I could not believe that they actually tried to fool us into thinking that a spa room was a premium room! Needless to say, we were very very disappointed and decided not to stay.
When we asked the person in charge to explain, she told us that there was a wedding and all the rooms were taken by the wedding party. However, we are sure that we were first to reserve, as all rooms were still available when we made our reservation.
We were never informed of the changes or asked to reschedule by Nurture Spa, either when the wedding was booked or when we called before going on the day itself. Instead, they decided to put us in that "room" and hope we would not notice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
16 Thank lightning07
MikeTurvill, Owner at Nurture Wellness Village, responded to this review, January 9, 2011
Dear Lightning07,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unfortunate experience you and your husband had at Nurture Spa. We are just as disappointed about your experience, since this is certainly not the level of service that we as owners support nor condone.

We have discussed this matter with our management team. It seems that a double booking was made and with the best intentions they tried to provide a solution (which we understand was unacceptable) rather than notifyng you of the situation in good time.

We have put procedures in place to ensure this will not happen again

Please accept our apologies once again.

Dr. Mike and Cathy Turvill
Owners of Nurture Spa
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2010

The five days four nights I've spent there in Nurture Spa were some of the most restful and invigorating times I can remember. The care and attention paid to the smallest details of renewal are a testament to the dedicated contouring of owners Ate Cathy and Kuya Mike--implemented skillfully by a staff united in purpose.
There is a shuttle service to and from the spa; I was fortunate enough to be treated to personalized pickup by Ate Cathy. On the drive up, together we assessed my personal goals and level of dedication to completing the programs, namely Stress Buster and Weight Loss. When we arrived at the spa, we were greeted with an enthusiastic welcome ceremony, where I met Sir Robin, head of the spa, Oscar my program director, Miss Rizza, my guest liason, Miss May my nurse, Querobe and Ferri, my residence advisors, and many others, a wave of welcoming faces. The entire compound is line with bright foliage; tucked away are various structures, from Ifugao huts to air conditioned rooms, cozy and spacious airspace. The little details, such as a tasteful welcome sign, a showerhead hidden in a sea of colorful flowers, soothing music through discretely hidden speakers, aggregated to a sense that for a short time, this could be a home away from home away from home.
At the beginning, middle and end of the treatments, they used a meridian health scan to assess the level of balance in different zones and organs of my body. The DMS (Digital Meridian Scanner) is noninvasive, with one ball-like probe attached to the left hand, and the other probe pressed gently to different areas of the body. In itself, the process is quick; the explanation and presentation of the scan results takes some time. In my case, the initial scan showed what looked like to be a high level of stress imbalance, and many weak areas in my digestive system.
Being the holiday season with its special foodie treats, committing to five days of liquid diet, no meat post-treatment and intensive detoxification was an especially heart-wrenching sacrifice-- one I endured for the sake of results as I had only five days available.
After 5 days/4 nights, I had lost 6kilo and 1.5" from my waist, because I had committed myself to following the programs set before me. My cousin and companion, Karlo, sampled all the varied entries on the menu, the lamb adobo and the chicken kaldereta being favorites; the dishes, in synergy with the program, presented traditional Filipino staples retaining the familiar taste with a heavy emphasis on pleasing aesthetics. The liquid diet, firm in its insistence on no carbs, managed to be tasty; a double portion each meal is allowed, which I recommend to those who would do the program. There were supplements before and after each meal, along with a special tea, whose taste is in itself an exercise in determination, twice a day. Serving as an alternative to energy drinks is wheatgrass, three times a day. In seeking the tagalog translation of wheatgrass, Gladys another guest liason, quipped "basa" meaning "wet" (in certain dialects, wheat is pronounced wet). After four days of liquid diet, you learn to laugh more at everything. Throughout the week, Miss Rizza's gentle all-encompassing smile as she inquired of my progress and various needs, was a reminder that in my brief sojourn into lasting health, my guides were marching along with me.
Every day there is a breathing meditation session taught by Maricar. Again, after four days, the simple exercises were increasingly effective, and served to help recenter myself. The special treatments, namely the charcoal wrap, fever bath, pyro (ion barrage), accupuncture were implemented gently and with care by Miss May (and later Miss Mayeth and occasionally Oca), in clean surroundings and an emphasis on effective comfort. The full body massages were done wonderfully in two differing styles, Pastora Anna with deft accuracy and prayers on the edge of hearing, Nadja with a firm kneading balancing at the razor's edge of deep healing and pain. I also participated in their pilot program of meditation through drumming; banging on the welcome gong is in itself surprisingly soothing, as the noise and maintaining the beat crowds out all other thoughts.
All in all, I found my stay at Nurture Spa an effective thrust at the concerns I had enumerated to Ate Cathy. My final DMS showed a grand majority of areas in balance, with only a few in marked improvement. The environment and treatment were particularly effective as I actively sought to enhance the effects while belaying any skepticism. Lying down, painted with charcoal, wrapped in a heat blanket at feverish temperatures for an hour, while exhausting mentally, produced such a surprising aftereffect; I lurched left and right walking to my room and felt my body adjust to a difference in weight. It can help you if you let it. I highly recommend to visiting balikbayans surrounded in a world of stress and grinding pressure, to young lovers seeking to lose themselves in each other, to married couples, forced apart by the impositions of the world to reconnect, to visitors seeking to discover the true heart of peace in the Philippines; give yourself a few days to a week and devote yourself to simple nurturing in an environment shaped reminiscent of a mother's womb.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends