“Nice weekend”
Review of Hotel Kimberly

Hotel Kimberly
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Tagaytay
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We loved our stay in Hotel Kimberly! My nephew really enjoyed the mini farm where he was able to feed the cute rabbits! He also enjoyed the play ground however he got dirty because the landing area of the slides is just soil/ mud, no grass nor mats. In terms of the rooms, my only complain is the noisy window type aircon. My nephew actually thought that the sound was coming from a helicopter! The buffet breakfast was ok, i was just distracted by the house flies (langaw). We also enjoyed the game room. For those interested to swim, the pool is not heated and i did not see any shower area. And they also sell organic lettuce and herbs! :)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
KimberlyGM, General Manager at Hotel Kimberly, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hi Ceejay5678! I'm glad you and your nephew loved the hotel. We try our best to please. The aircons have been serviced and we are addressing the langaw issues with our pest control people. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a long day driving all over Batangas and needed a place for an overnighter. We didn't want to spend too much and yet we also didn't want a cheap, sleazy dive. Hotel Kimberly was priced just right. The lady at the reception was also very kind enough to ask if anyone in our party was a senior citizen (this is a rarity in the Philippines!) so we even got a discount. The room was fresh. Simple, yet had everything we needed for the night. The free breakfast that came with the room was not extravagant, but was way better than the McDonald's drive thru. Thumbs up for HK! We would go back if given the opportunity again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Nat0123, General Manager at Hotel Kimberly, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you Gerry M and we certainly look forward to the opportunity of serving you again!

God bless,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I first went here when the hotel was newly opened a few years back and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel's interiors were tastefully done, the staff was attentive and hardworking, and the garden plus pool outside was refreshing.

Fast forward to January 2013 and although the lobby, grounds, and the staff were just as I remembered, the rooms and hallways seem to have been neglected over time. The bathroom looked and felt icky with peeling tile grouting and dirty fixtures. The sliding door in our room made very loud and irritating sounds when they were left open to let the fresh air in. We slept poorly because of this noise and also the noisy neighbors across the hall. I was saddened by all this as I really looked forward to going back. I hope they repaint the hallways as the paint treatment they have on them now that are supposed to mimic textured wallpaper just looks dirty and stained. Updating the bathrooms would also be a great change. Checking the doors on each room should also be done to make sure they don't mae any rattling sounds when left open.

The service though was prompt and the servers in the dining area were cheerful and efficient. The grounds also still looked good - with wide open spaces and lots of plants for children and adults to enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear DonnaCunaPita,

I regret that you did not find the hotel to your standards. I've taken note of your observations and assure you that we will look into these as we do our part in continuously maintaining the buildings and grounds. In fairness to our hotel, I have honestly had guests that say we keep our hotels as new as when they've first visited.

Did you notice the freshly painted exteriors and developed farm areas? We've also added an events pavilion that will allow our guests to enjoy Tagaytay's cool breezes.

I hope to be able to welcome you in our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We love staying in Hotel Kimberly Tagaytay especially when we're with kids. The rooms are spacious and clean ( great for families with toddlers!), outdoor activities for the family ( the farm, game room, playground and pool). It's a very wholesome place for the family for bonding moments. One thing that I hope they can improve on is the food.It's overpriced. They had baby back ribs included in the menu but it looked likePporkloin, there was no rib. Food tasted like it was prepared by a caterer rather than coming from a hotel or restaurant. I hope they can include more desserts, breads and pastries in their menu or buffet. I liked the bread they served in the buffet breakfast. I also suggest that they serve real breakfast food in the buffet spread. I don't understand why they have to include viands. Makes me feel like I'm eating yesterday's leftover food. The standout was the bread they served. We enjoyed our stay despite the setback with the food. We always feel comfortable and welcome when we stay in Hotel Kimberly. Highly recommended especially for families with kids!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Princessjen29,

Thank you for staying with us and I'm so glad to hear you love staying here! I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed our leisure amenities and new farm additions. I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy the food. We are working on this with our new Executive Chef who has just joined our hotel team.

The matter or pricing - whether expensive or not - is really a mixed review. Looking at the other reviews on Tripadvisor alone, we have been complimented for good value food and also told too expensive. We try to keep the food ranging from P200-P400 per person which I believe is not the cheapest nor the most expensive especially for a hotel.

I would like to clarify the issue you had with our breakfast not really being breakfast food. The breakfast served on Jan. 1, 2013 was actually brunch as we know most guests may wake up late due to the previous evening's complimentary evening pica-pica and wine toasting. Hence we decided to add more lunch food choices and extend the breakfast later at no additional cost to our guests. We definitely do not serve leftover food. For all our other days, we serve the standard range of Filipino and continental buffet selections. These were also available that day.

Finally the mentioned ribs were in the New Year's eve buffet and I do apologize if the ribs were not available that night. We print our buffet menu for guests who plan to visit and request to see it but this is subject to change as sometimes we just cannot get the quality ingredients (in this case being the pork rib). Apologies once more for this.

I sincerely hope that your recent experience does not detract you from your enjoyment of the other aspects of your holiday and look forward to having you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was surprised with the poor reviews written here. It's either i lack the potential of a hotel critique or am i just dense enough. Unfriendly staffs? How much friendliness do you expect for the amount of your swiped credit card? Expensive dining? I'm sure they didn't get jollibee for a commisary that's for sure.

For those willing to read on, here's an honest-to-goodness review based on our numerous amounts of nights stayed each year at Kimberly. (& Yes, we have stayed at a number of top hotels around Tagaytay)

Staff = courteous enough & friendly (& i mean even hotel guards & waiters) - Once we even toured our family to see the place & the waiters remembered us & offered us free coffee. Talk about friendliness.
Rooms = spick & span. Immaculately clean.
WIFI - ave. upload speed 1.10mbps
Food = Price is not bad for a hotel. Ave./meal around php275-350. Choices not bad either. Mostly filipino cuisine.
Area = Perfect get-away from truck & bus engine noise & black smoke. The distance from Serenity (hotel kimberly) to the Chaos (main road) is just around 3 kms away.
Ambience = The hotel sits probably around a 1.5-2hectare property, experience breakfast by the pool, overlooking a miniature farm-like area with real live stock animals.

For hotel seekers who are thrilled upon sniffing thick black smoke & gets stimulated at the sense of rumbling road noise of a hundred cars & trucks passing by per minute, then this hotel will surely disappoint you.

For travellers who seek peace & quiet, serenity & calmness, then you've come to the right place.

Note: call me defensive but i ain't getting paid to write this. It's just my two cents worth & i'm just a dude defending a nice quaint hotel & disproving inaccurate bloggers.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WillRamez

Dear WIllRamez,

Thank you very much for your review. I've passed it onto our staff (and there were literally high-fives around as it was read). Needless to say - defensive or not - it was highly appreciated by the hardworking Hotel Kimberly team.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

we went here with our 20 month old toddler. he loved the farm at the back of the hotel. they have rabbits, sheep and chickens. the staff were kind enough to allow our boy to feed the animals too. there's also a kiddie pool and a big pool. although im not sure how clean it is because they are constructing something near the area. there is also a playground but for bigger kids.
i read that people complain about the food. when we went, they served our breakfast in a buffet style. they had quite a number of selections, which is very good. some hits and miss in terms of taste and quality though. like the corned beef tasted bad. we learned that its argentina, so that brands off our supermarket list forever. but overall, it wasn't bad but nothing to rave about as well.
we got a deluxe room. the space is ok. aircon was cool. bed and pillows are ok but the bed was noisy when my husband had his massage. they dont have a king size bed, only queen sized beds. wish the flooring wasnt made of tiles with black grout. could have made it look cleaner and more elegant. bathroom was ok. hot water ok. again, they could have chosen better flooring or tiles for the bathroom
service was wonderful. elevator very fast. overall appearance of the hotel, great. they have a gift shop, like that too. the game room is a good addition too but we didn't get to use it. parking, wonderful.
as for the location, we didnt mind the 5-10min car ride from the main road. there's not much to do in tagaytay so to have all these amenities in one place is pretty great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank purplefear

Dear purplefear,

Thank you for your objective review of your stay.

I am glad you liked our service and amenities. I especially like your comment about your toddler enjoying the farm. We've since built rabbit cages tall enough for people to enter and it has been a real hit with both adults and children alike.

The said construction work is just about done and we now have an events pavilion that will allow our guests to enjoy the cool Tagaytay breezes while looking onto that farm and green grounds! Both adult and children's pools are tested and maintained daily to ensure cleanliness.

We hope to see you in Kimberly again whether to stay or even just to visit the animals. As our guest, you are always welcome!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The reception area is pleasant, the staff attentive and quick, and checking in was a breeze; the double-height ceiling lobby has clean and neat seating in modern classic style. The dining area is rather small in relation to the hotel's capacity, but it opens onto an adjacent poolside area with additional seating complete with patio umbrellas. I just wish they had installed an access ramp to this poolside area as I was with my mom who cannot walk well. A large pavilion is under construction next to the poolside. This hotel is still a work in progress...

Adjacent to the open carpark is a lawn/playground with a slide in the middle (as pictured in the website). Beyond the playground is an open field with vegetable/herb nurseries, rabbit cage, sheep corral and chicken coops. There are chickens (including black-skinned Chinese chickens) roaming in the area. This hotel touts its child-friendliness, and indeed the farm staff allowed my little niece to feed and touch the rabbits, sheep and chickens. My niece enjoyed these kiddie touches immensely, aside from swimming in the kiddie pool and the bigger pool beside it.

The elevators are fast, its interior looking quite new even though the hotel is already a few years old.

Each room is accessed with an electronic card, and provided with an electronic safe for valuables...definitely pluses in my techie book...The clothes cabinet could be improved with additional shelves.

When I flicked the light switch on for the first time the power was off...someone forgot to activate the electricity, so I had to wait a bit for a staff member to activate it with a card.

There were no funny smells in the room or the bathroom, a basic criterion that many other hotels in the Tagaytay area at this class miserably fail at. I was so happy not to detect the smell of moulds (they trigger my allergies) when I entered my room. The bathroom counter is made of synthetic granite material that looks new and feels clean. The tile grouting on the shower cubicle could be improved (the dark grey water-proofing looks dirty, even if it actually was clean). My mom called me from her room to show her how to toggle the water from the shower head to the faucet...it seems someone had unscrewed a little transfer knob, so I screwed it back. These are minor details that the staff could try to always check. Also, the chrome bathroom fittings and glass partition could use some polishing...these details would make it perfect for a germ-phobic person like me, but overall I felt good.

The room decor is simple and modern...I was glad to find none of the usual tacky touches that I dislike so much in provincial hotels.

The white bedsheets were clean...no funny smells, no stains whatsoever. The mattress was a tad too firm for me, but it made no squeaky sounds and I was comfortable sleeping on this bed. The synthetic granite floor looked new and I felt it was clean enough to walk on barefoot. I did notice some scuff marks, dings and dents on the walls and furniture, but I could overlook those for the overall feeling I got of a room that's cool and clean.

The free breakfast for me was quite good in terms of quality and quantity. I'm a big-breakfast person so I was pleased and a bit overwhelmed by the choices that were on offer. The restaurant staff could probably be more observant and take away used plates from the diners' tables, but in general they were helpful and seemed eager to serve.
We went out for lunch and dinner...for me that's the main point of going to Tagaytay--experiencing other food options (and I'm not referring to the usual fast-food joints on the ridge) while enjoying the cool outdoors climate, spectacular views and pleasant conversation with my family and friends.

I can tell when staff are lazy, grumpy or unhappy with their job. Happily, Kimberly's staff were none of that, on the contrary they gave me good vibes throughout my stay, so a big Thank You to you all!

Would I stay in this Hotel again? Yes.
Would I recommend it to my friends? Yes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Nat0123, General Manager at Hotel Kimberly, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Cynic Lion,

I appreciated your detailed review and comments on your stay at Hotel Kimberly very much! Always good to have feedback from our guests so we can continuously improve.

One of our current projects is making the hotel friendly for disabled guests...you should see those ramps there in the next few months so I hope to see you return again!