“Great weekend getaway”

Ranked #1 of 15 Dhulikhel B&B and Inns
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Great weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Elegant layout and design of this bungalow-style resort nestled in the foothills east of Kathmandu. Perfect get-away from the hustle, bustle and dust of KTM. Great food, excellent service by Surendra and his team. Easy walks to nearby villages and the stupa and monastery... and great views of the Himalayan range if the weather cooperates. Authentic Newari design of bungalows includes low door frames - beware your head! Don't be put off by reports of road conditions of the last 4.5 kms up from Dhulikhel - it just adds to the charm! Only downside is surrounding hills near the resort are used by picnickers coming in by busload during the day -all very friendly- but completely (and I mean completely) insensible to the beauty of the surroundings and the idea that you might take your trash out with you. In a country with such natural beauty, it's a sad statement that Nepali youth are so oblivious.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CSinKTM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great spot. Beautiful location, stunning views, good food and service. An oasis if you are coming from the dust and heat of Kathmandu.
The individual cabins are made in the local Newari style and are clean and nicely decorated. very picturesque. Though the low doorways and ceilings can be irritating if you are a tall person. We specifically asked for a cabin with its own shower as some do not have this.
The food was very good and dinners consisted of bread or popcorn to start, a fresh soup, a main dish and a dessert. We had fresh made pasta twice. The cook even kindly made up some mashed potatoes specifically for our baby. I like the fact that most of the food is made and/or grown on site on the organic farm.
It is an enjoyable walk to the nearby stupa and farther on, the monastery. The first part of the walk is along a hillside ridge which has stunning views and plenty of greenery.
Aside from the walk there is a sauna and a flotation tank on the resort grounds if you are into that. I tried the floatation tank but I found it a little claustrophobic!
Overall, we had a great visit and appreciated the beautiful grounds and the friendly, laid back service.
Like many places, they offer a discount for residents and provided us with this when I made the reservation. It made the stay quite a bit more affordable.

Room Tip: If you want a private shower, make sure you request this when you book, as some cabins don't hav...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ali M
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I had high hopes for Namobuddha Resort. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed...

We've been in Nepal for three weeks, and at each stop along the way we've stayed in great value accommodations. Charming hotels/guesthouses with comfortable, clean rooms and tasty food all at affordable prices. I thought that I'd find the same at Namobuddha Resort, but sadly I did not -

Positives
1. Cabins are clean
2. Property is pretty, and on clear mornings the view is beautiful
3. The manager is helpful
4. The breakfast was tasty (but it should be with the expensive price tag)

Negatives
1. The food is priced ridiculously high for Nepal. The set dinner price was USD 16.50 per person (including taxes and service charge). For that set dinner, we received a bowl of popcorn as a starter, a small portion of rice and vegetable curry and a scone-like dessert. Honestly, it was neither tasty nor was the portion very filling. If I had been at a restaurant in Europe or the US, I'd have sent the meal back. Very bad value, indeed. To be clear, there are no other restaurant options in the area - so it's either eat the overpriced meals, or go hungry...
2. There was no information on anything to do in the area - no print outs in the room on hiking, biking, etc. When we asked, the only info we received was to walk to the monastery which is literally 20 minutes away. The owner said they used to have bikes, but they're now broken. The whole allure of this hotel is the surrounding rural countryside - yet, the hotel offers no insight into how to explore the area.
3. Not only are there no showers in the cabins, but the shower room is a good five minute walk away (at least from our cabin). Very inconvenient.
4. Apart from the helpful manager and one kind restaurant worker, the restaurant and parking lot staff bordered on rude. They were consistently curt and generally not helpful.
5. The property is difficult to reach. Not a problem if we would have enjoyed our stay, but since we did not it's a negative...

As mentioned, Nepal has really great value accommodation. Tourists have been coming here for ages, and that's reflected in the comfortable, high value hotels. We've stayed in both cheaper and more expensive places in Nepal the past few weeks and all have been great value for the price tag. Bottom line, it's not the price of Namobuddha Resort that bothered me so much, it's the fact that what you receive for your money is average at best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KMS3
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

There were 30 of us at this resort for one night for my daughter's 'hen night'. We walked up from the main road ( 5 kms) and there were refreshments waiting for us when we got there.The staff were really friendly and helpful - providing us with a hall to show photos and allowing us to drink our own wine.The cabins are very sweet - although some of them required a bit of navigation to actually get into the beds - and the ensuite bathrooms just fine. A definite recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been selfish. I stay here every time I come to Kathmandu, and this is my 15th trip. Selfish because I wanted to keep Namo Buddha Eco Resort to myself. But it is too good to be kept a secret. The standard of Nepalese accommodation is generally poor but at Namo Buddha the German owners’ attention to detail is great and obvious.

During my first visit it was 4 meals before I realised the resort was vegetarian - the food was so delicious, and fresh because much of it is grown onsite. The accommodation is in beautiful cottages - simple, comfortable, well designed, and quintessentially Nepalese. And VERY, VERY, VERY quiet. A great place to sit and view the mountains or read a book from their library. There is a flotation tank and a sauna which contribute greatly to my well-being. There is a 30 minute walk to either the Namo Buddha stupa or the big Thrangu Tashi Yangtze monastery, or a longer walk to nearby Panauti for those needing exercise. The gardens are delightful and constantly changing because of the thoughtful plantings of fruit, vegetables, and flowering shrubs. Staff are efficient and friendly; requests are satisfied promptly and completely; nothing is a problem to them.

I have struggled to find good accommodation in Nepal but, for me, this is the best in Nepal. It is Nepal’s greatest secret. My little piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Every cottage is unique and I have stayed in 4 different ones. Some are small and suit singles or a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VeloxOne
Altadena, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Namobuddha Resort was more difficult to get to than I had anticipated, but once we were there, we really enjoyed our stay. The resort is roughly an hour from Dhulikiel by car, down a long and rough dirt road. The property has wonderful views of the mountains. The houses are charming and beautifully maintained. The evening meal was delicious; the chef is first-rate and professionally trained. Though our fellow travelers were interesting people, I found the communal eating arrangements to be a bit forced.

All in all, you couldn't find a more lovely place for peace and quiet. It's a beautiful and unique place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I went to Namobuddha for a yoga retreat, after hearing from many friends what a wonderful place it was. It is actually just perfect, with its stunning views on the Himalayas, its tasteful and cozy little houses, its delicious organic food (even if you are not a vegetarian, let us bet you will enjoy it). A perfect blend of Nepal (nothing is over the top, and loadshedding rules like everywhere in this country) and of Western comfort (hot water, heaters in the rooms, candle light). Add the presence of a very sacred Buddhist site within walking distance, and you will get a wonderful week-end away from the chaos of Kathmandu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cloudtail10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhulikhel
Dhulikhel Mountain Resort Hotel
Gaia Holiday Home
Gaia Holiday Home
#2 of 15 in Dhulikhel
Himalayan Sunrise Guest House

Been to Namobuddha Resort? Share your experiences!