The Hotel at Tharabar Gate
$24
Agoda.com
$161
1,263 results
All reviewsananda templeold baganlocal restaurantsbe kind to animalslovely hotelrooms are largeswimming poolan oasisopen airlocation is excellentmajor templesthree nightshorse cartlobby arealoved this hotelnice pooldeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We chose the hotel based on other reviews, location, amenities and price. We stayed for 3 nights, although 2 nights in the area would have been enough in retrospect. It's location is convenient to see various temples and other sites by car - we did a balloon ride, sunset river cruise, saw various temples, drive to nearby Nyaung-U area for dinner (recommend Black Bamboo!) and a local market; drove 1.5 hours to Mt. Popa; and various other activities. There are a couple of casual/open air restaurants I'd recommend that are within walking distance (~200 meters across the dusty road): the Starbeam Bistro (chicken, port cutlets, etc.) and Moon (vegetarian). Also, you can walk to the Ananda Temple across the street. There are a couple very small shops with tourist items across the street, but not much else.

The hotel has a beautiful lobby, pool (never saw anyone in it), and grounds. The rooms are all on one level, duplex style, and fairly spacious. Room features: comfortable bed; wardrobe with hangers; tub with shower head; safe large enough for laptop, ipad, camera, passports, jewelery, etc.); large flat screen TV with CNN and other channels I didn't watch; vanity area; small mini bar fridge (you can fit your own drinks inside) and patio with lounge chair. Lighting was sufficient. Outlets were a combination of Europe and the U.K. Unfortunately, the rooms aren't as nice as the lobby and aren't well maintained. I wish the bathroom was cleaner. You are given some decent toiletries (e.g., toothbrush, shower cap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion). However, the shampoo, conditioner and lotion are poured into refillable bottles. I brought my own.

Wifi does not work in the rooms, period. If you are very lucky, you can get email while sitting at the restaurant or the lobby. I tried using the computer in the lobby to check in for our flight - I got to Google, but the airline webpage NEVER opened. Impossible.

I was able to pay via credit card with a 5% surcharge, but was told to bring cash just in case the internet wasn't working.

On our first night, we enjoyed a wood-fired pizza that tasted great. Nice crispy crust with many options/toppings to choose from. Breakfast was fantastic - an extensive buffet as well as made to order eggs, pancakes and omelets. The staff was very friendly, attentive and accommodating. We had dessert one evening and it was quite tasty - creme brulee and chocolate mousse. Our Irish balloon ride pilot said that they eat at this hotel regularly.

My friends used the spa. One had a pedicure which was done outside in the melting heat. The other had a facial which was done indoors and she enjoyed it.

I had laundry service and was pleased for the most part (minor ironing issue on black pants). The items came back the next day on hangers in plastic bags.

I would choose to stay at this hotel again, but wish they would take better care of the rooms.

Note: I was first given room 608, but the smell was awful and I had to move. I couldn't place the smell, but it was bad. I was told it was insect spray, but I wonder. Fortunately, I had been escorted to my room so the situation was sorted out immediately and I didn't have to trek all the way back to the lobby to deal with it. The next day, I saw that all the windows were open to air it out. My second room didn't have an internal chain lock (like other rooms did) so I came out of the shower one day to find someone coming in to do service. Close call!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank xctour
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Right at the old gate into old Pagan (Bagan now), this hotel is convenient to the temples (e.g., Ananda) as well as some local restaurants. Although not on the river, has nice pool with bicycle rental available. We stayed there before and after visiting some tribal areas. The first time we had a terrific suite with a pagoda outside the private garden so close it could almost be touched. On our return, even though the room wasn't a suite, it still had an attractive private garden. The manager, Kurt, was particularly accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LaPaj
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Located just outside the old city walls this hotel was our third stay in Myanmar. Large rooms seem to be a feature of their hotels and this was no exception. If anything they over provide in terms of space. Constructed in small blocks around the grounds within easy reach of the pool and the restaurant. Food was adequate with a basic A La Carte menu supported by a themed barbecue. All served either around the pool or in the roofed but otherwise open restaurant. If you tire of hotel food there are two restaurants on the right of the hotel as you exit and both are good m(and cheaper). Hotel staff are eager to please and speak good English. Their understanding of spoken |English is not always perfect so do check that you have been understood. As others have said the internet is pretty hopeless throughout Bagan but sometimes it is good to get away from it! Enjoy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aitch1950
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is the only upscale hotel in Old Bagan, so you are very close to the pagodes and you can explore everything by bike (don't take one of the old hotel bikes but rather rent a mountain bike at one of the stalls outside the hotel). The hotel itself is a quiet and green oasis with a big garden and a pool, so you can hang out and relax when you're tired from touring the temples. Rooms are very spacious and neatly designed. The staff was very helpful in organizing excursions (balloon flight, sunset cruise on the Ayeryawaddy). We did not dine in the restaurant which offers a varying buffet every night for 20 $, but we chose to check the small restaurants in the area which offer simple but good food - Starbeam's (sometimes also called Starbeans) was our favorite. Bring enough cash to settle your hotel invoice - internet connection is very slow and credit card payment may not work.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The best location for discovering old Bagan. good food and even ok choices of imported wine and not very expensive - but try the local and you will be surprised!
Friendly staff and good food but rooms do need some renovation but overall it is okay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple