“Peaceful & friendly”

Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Bagan
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Peaceful & friendly”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Recent stay at the ruby true proved a gentle break between the madness of both Mandalay and Yangon. Slightly out of town, but the vert helpful staff arranged a horse and cart of us for our next days adventure, they could also organise bicycles and electric bikes, onward biat and bus tickets, so we didn't really need to be central. The very quiet location with beautiful garden was wonderful, and although the restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere the food was very good,tasty and reasonable, their prices for all the equipment and journeys was the same as you could get outside the hotel, so a lot easier to let them sort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed five nights in a well maintained, daily serviced bungalow in a large garden setting. Breakfast was a tasty selection from both Burmese and western cuisine. Dinners were from a mainly Chinese menu. The manager was very generous with her time in organising horse and cart for sunrise (highly recommended) taxi for sights further afield and onward bus travel. We established ourselves that the transport we arranged through her was not more expensive than independently arranged transport. Although not in the centre of New Bagan, it is a short walk from most conveniences. We highly recommend this hotel for the reasonable price for the quality of accommodation provided, the personal service provided and it's peaceful location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Though a little rough around the edges, the Ruby True hotel is great value. I also felt it seemed to bring us closer to the locals than one of the fancier places. What it lacks in amenities, it more than makes up in charm. The staff are lovely, if a little absent minded at times. It felt like a family, to be honest. The manager is especially lovely. The lack of a pool (Bagan is very hot) was offset by the ability to use the one across the street for only $5. My biggest issue was the total lack of a bar, despite being advertised. Once could not even order a simple gin and tonic. If you want a drink its Myanmar beer and that's about it. Rooms are cozy but clean. Bathrooms are very basic and the shower was among the most bizarre I've encountered.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are alike.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Rating this hotel was very difficult for me, as financially it was the best deal, the breakfast was ok and the other staff was nice, but unfortunately, the manager(Wa Wa)was absolutely insane. When we arrived she said they did not have a room for us but we could stay for one night and then we would have to move to their other hotel for the rest of our four night stay. I showed her the booking voucher and insisted we get a room. I was short on patience after a nine hour boat trip. Still unsure for how long we would stay they moved us to a three single bed room, as was expected. She came later to tell us that everything was fine, we could stay in the room as she rectified the situation by talking to her boss in Yangon. This woman was a total spaz, like a granny on meth. By the end of our four night stay, my daughter was afraid of her. We had our first dinner there, and the food was ok. This insanity continued into our second day when Wa Wa came into our room again telling us that we have to move to an identical room couple of doors down, as she promised this room to someone else long time ago. This time even my patient wife was starting to loose it and my daughter was getting teary eyed. She returned shortly to tell us the good news that we could stay. This crazy woman's behaviour bordered on bullying and started to ruin our stay in Bagan. This calmed down after the second day, and each time we were leaving our room or returning to our hotel we were hoping not to see her, which was next to impossible. This lady really needs to tone it down. Throught our stay she kept telling my daughter how lucky she was to have the room. I still don't know what the deal with the room really was, but Wa Wa could definitely not articulate it. They need to get someone that actually speaks enough English as a manger. Also, she does not know anything about this area, and aside from getting us transport was totally useless. The room was ok, wi fi worked and TV had Enlish movie channels which was nice. Considering the inflated cost of accommodation in Myanmar, Ruby True was a bargain. Unfortunatelly, due to the incompetence, insensitiviey, ineptitude, of the manager who brought my daughter to tears and almost ruined our stay in Bagan, I have to give this place the lowest ranking possible.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank AwesomeSEA
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Ruby True is on the outskirts of New Bagan, but electric bike hire make this not a problem. It is very quiet, large rooms, good bathroom with decent shower and very quiet.
Lovely grounds and very helpful friendly staff make this a great place to stay. Very good value for Myanmar and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Located on a quiet dirt road on the edge of New Bagan, Ruby True is away from the noise of the main road. The staff in this hotel is amazingly friendly, attentive, and helpful. Do not expect "4 star" decore at a place like this, but it is not a bad value for the price. We stayed in a bunglow which was spacious and clean. Green garden area is lovely and attractive. Breakfast buffet is good. A couple of negatives: WiFi did not reach our room on the outer edge of the property but worked well in the garden area, lobby, and restaurant. Plumbing was a little leaky but not a problem. Overall a very nice to stay. Not right in the middle of the action, but if you want action and noise stay in Old Bagan or Nyaung-U instead.

Room Tip: closer to garden or lobby for better WiFi access.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I read all the raving reviews and expected something better. Gardens are nice, rooms are very basic and gloomy. At random times in the day prayers, propaganda or something over a megaphone is not exactly relaxing. At times it went on for ages. The service was only good when it related to hotel matters, I saw the manager jump to get a hairdrier for someone. I asked about a sunset cruise and she just stared and said she didn't know...but she had a friend..of course then I went to the river and saw loads of sunset cruise type boats. The same when I asked her to find out the bus timetables for Monywa. "I don't know". Only after I asked the question six times did she reluctantly pick up the phone to find out. I was frustrated most of the time I was here. One day they forgot to make my room. I returned after 9 hours sightseeing and had to wait at reception while they got everything ready. And not once, sorry to make you wait or that we forgot. Avoid this hotel if you can.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo