“It's all about the staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ruby True Hotel

Ruby True Hotel
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Bagan
Paris, France
“It's all about the staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

What a great place to stay! The hotel is really clean, each room is basically an independent bungalow, they have an amazing breakfast in the garden and the service is just EXCEPTIONAL. The staff, both the owner and the manager (a.k.a. "your Bagan mom"), were incredibly friendly. First I was worried about the hotel, since a Ruby True driver at the airport refused to take me and another hotel guest because he was waiting for another guest who never showed up. However, once I got to the hotel, everything changed. They took care of everything, from providing "e-bikes" (electric scooters) for rental during the day, to recharging the e-bike batteries several times, to arranging pickup service to the airport on departure. They even had a marionette show at night (which I unfortunately missed!). The staff knows the area very well and is more than happy to provide tips. They will even wake up at 4:30 to make sure your e-bike is working properly before you go see the sunrise in the temples. What a great experience! Highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Garden rooms have a nicer view than those on the driveway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MxJorge

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Nanjing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

A superbly managed hotel for 17 years. Some of the staff have been there for 15 years. Attention to detail is the key. Staff even comes out to say goodbye en mass. A nice breakfast in the garden is an enjoyable touch. Sometimes you might get a treat--a puppet show put on by a husband and wife team who are also staff members. The puppet dance with flaming candles marks the grand finale. Good food, although typical small Myanmar portions. Bit of a walk to other restaurants--good French-Asian one nearby. Nice roomy bungalows. Rooms are a bit dark because of lacquered bamboo walls. Water pressure in shower low. In New Bagan, so need transport to Old Bagan where all the splendid temples are. Go before this becomes completely overrun with tourists.

Room Tip: All rooms seem of equal quality.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Reasonable value considering how expensive accommodation in Myanmar is. Clean, spacious rooms within wooden bungalows set in peaceful beautiful gardens. Staff are attentive and very helpful. Hot water in bathrooms. The main lady who I think is the hotel owner is absolutely lovely. The hotel is very far not only from old Bagan, and the touristy restaurants of Nyaung U, but also far out of new bagan, so make sure you take a torch to find your way back as the sun sets early. Headtorch is a must if you're biking because there are no lights on the push bikes, and lights on the ebikes are very dim. E bikes for rent from the hotel are good value for 8000 MMK per day (although beware the ebikes are not like the ones in England...they are essentially battery powered mopeds that ran out by lunchtime every day and are extremely difficult to manually pedal because of small wheels, heavy back, the bike base getting in the way of the pedalling etc. The hotel do say if it runs out of electricity you can call them and they will bring a new one, but when you're exploring Bagan, you're often down a dirt track exploring a temple with no one else around so there's no local phone from which to call them with (UK mobiles do not work in Myanmar)). Unfortunately the breakfast on the last day of our stay at Ruby True gave my partner extreme food poisoning. We are sure it was the breakfast, as everything else we both ate together and I was fine...just that last breakfast before we left for Mandalay later that day was the only thing I did not eat that he did. Despite eating 15 minutes after the breakfast was laid out, my partner said the rice and noodles were cold, and he had also had some cold sweet and sour chicken. I think it was either the cold meat or partially heated rice. The hotel is otherwise perfect, but I urge the hotel to look into the food safety matter closely, and they must not reheat rice or serve cold previously cooked chicken dishes. The staff and owner seem very diligent and attentive so I am sure they will look into the matter.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
linmyat09, Owner at Ruby True Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Ruby True Hotel. Also thank you for taking the time to write a review following your experience during your stay here at Ruby True Hotel. I’m deeply sorry to hear that your partner had a food poisoning from our breakfast. This is highly uncharacteristic of our food safety standards, as we pride ourselves on providing clean, tasty and fresh food for our valued customers. I would like to sincerely apologize to you and your partner on behalf of Ruby True Hotel team. I will take a close look at this issue and make sure something like this will never happen again to our customers. Thank you again for taking your time to write a review and I sincerely hope that you will visit us again soon. Cheers!
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was in Bagan earlier in the month (Nov'13), and stayed in this lovely hotel for 3 nights.
Auntie Wawa, the manageress, was very motherly. Being a laid-back traveller, I was less anxious than Auntie Wawa in making sure I did not go hungry or miss out on flights/sunsets at the pagodas. The owner's eldest son spoke excellent English and the younger son was always on hand with a smile. The other staff were very attentive and helpful throughout the entire stay. I forgot to bring my travel adaptor, and they went out of their way to look for one for me to use during my stay.
The room I stayed in was very good and clean condition. The garden was just outside the room, which was ideal for a hot afternoon lazing at the verandah. On my last morning, breakfast was served in the garden, which was a wonderful end to this lovely stay at Ruby True Hotel...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kohleongfoo
Twickenham, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Myself and 2 friends stayed at Ruby True in November and had a great stay, would thoroughly recommend staying here. We had a bungalow which was very spacious and clean and the manager was very friendly and helpful and happy to help us out with anything that we needed. It's down a dirt road but only a 10 min walk to the main part of New Bagan and we walked down there in the dark for dinner (3 girls) and no problem at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo K
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you're reading reviews, you know a little about Bagan. Yes, the hotel is not in the "downtown" core of New Bagan. It's a 10 minute walk. No big deal. In exchange, it's quiet, dark, and there aren't dozens of cars, motorcycles and buses traveling in front of the hotel constantly.

We rented electric bikes in town, and had them recharged and delivered to the hotel daily. From the hotel, it's quite easy to get to the temples and pagodas - they're literally right down the road.

Breakfast was included with our stay. Every day offered a different Asian selection, usually fried rice or noodles. Orange juice, coffee, toast and eggs were available every day. Food at the restaurant was ok - it seemed slow, but the staff was attentive. We were told there was a new chef on staff; hopefully he'll get it worked out. On our last day, we had a 7:30am flight to Mandalay. The manager chided us (in a friendly mom-like manner) to go eat breakfast before heading to the airport. We left the hotel at 6:30, made it to the airport in plenty of time, and sat around for 45 minutes until our flight arrived. No TSA goons to deal with, obviously. :-)

The manager spoke decent English, and was very eager to assist in anything we asked. Her son, (recently returned from college in Chicago) spoke great English. We found it easier to ask him the question, and have his mom give us the answer. Given the prevalence of horse carts in town, we wanted to arrange a horseback ride through the temple complex. They tried for two days to set something up for us, to no avail.

We enjoyed this place and recommend it highly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jag_in_the_box
linmyat09, Owner at Ruby True Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your experience during your stay here at Ruby True Hotel. I am glad to hear your described your experience as "Awesome". We tried our best to satisfy our customers' needs and it's always wonderful to hear such a positive feedback. Also I would like to share that we are in the midst of trying to improve our restaurant's quality and waiting time and I am sorry that it took a long time for the food to arrive. Feedback like yours has been very vital for us in the way that we can improve and plan for enhancements. Thank you again for taking your time to write a review and I sincerely hope that you will visit us again soon. PS. I think it is funny that a lot of guests including you think that the manager and I are related but I would like to clarify that we are actually not related:)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at the Ruby True for three nights in October 2013. The rooms are spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. The owner is incredibly friendly and kind and always ready to help with anything you need. The breakfast is large and very good. The restaurant also does dinner, which is tasty, although they don't really have Burmese food. The hotel is at the end of New Bagan, so a little far from some of the temples, but I had no problem getting around on a bike rented from the hotel. I got a really good deal on my room -- I think it was half price -- because it was the low season. Given the rates for mid-range hotels in the area, however, I think it's a good deal even at full price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo