“Quiet and friendly”

Mya Thida Hotel
Ranked #39 of 55 Bagan B&B and Inns
“Quiet and friendly”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was traveling alone and on somewhat of a budget. The only "issue" I had was the location, but it wasn't even a problem! You can rent a bike from the hotel for 2500 kyat and just ride on into Old Bagan, but if you're feeling lazy or it's pouring rain, it's a lot more expensive to get into town. Let me clear- expensive means about $8.00 USD....

The hotel was very clean and had a very welcoming feel to it. Every member of the staff was polite and extremely helpful. When I got back to the hotel, someone always asked me how my day was and was genuinely interested in my response! I was able to book a bus and hotel for Inle Lake through the staff and the prices were fine. If you are looking for a backpacker vibe, this isn't really the place. New Bagan is more expensive and still building itself up. There are much cheaper options, but they do offer dorm rooms here! And they were great! Beds were comfortable and water was HOT! I'm happy that I stayed here.

Room Tip: Dorms are a cheaper option and just as comfortable!
3 Thank RoseChio

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2013

USD40 for a room for three (two beds with an extra mattress, attached toilets). We arrived past 0700 on the night bus form Yangon, and were given our room by 0745 although check-in time is past 1200. We could immediately arrange for a horsecart and set off at 0830. They also offer tours to the temples and Mount Popa, although they were booked when we were there.

As I was feeling unwell, I had to go back. The owner and his staff very helpfully guided me to the two doctors just near the guesthouse, and accompanied me the additional time I needed to go back.

Breakfasts were quite good, with a choice of Asian or Western, with different foods for the two days we were there.

Rooms were a little too dim though, could do with brighter lights.

We booked our bus tickets for Mandalay through them, and one of the staff brought us to the waiting point at the main road at the time to wait. We were also given a room to wash up and rest before we got on the bus for a few hours, which was very gracious of them.

I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank reublim
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 1, 2013

i booked it in agoda for a 4 ppl dorm on 12 USD, only the final night got 3 roommates, others days i stay there alone.

personally i like a more quiet location, away from the crowd and noise and this hotel give me exactly what i want. i arrived by nightbus 4am, and the staff can arrange a bed for me and i just need to check-in when i awake.

the bed is large, and clean. but it is a bit too soft... have hot water and the A/C works ok, with WIFI. buti it is a bit dark.The chair outside the room is not comfortable.. and see the spider web on the chair...

the staff is very friendly and help me to arrange the horse cart, bus in a reasonable price. they provide advice on where to go as well. very helpful and friendly.

overall, i will stay there again next time.

2 Thank maria-travelcoholic
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Great little gueshouse with really friendly and attentive staff. About 25mins bike ride to Old Bagan. Room is spotlessly clean with warm shower and good AC. Lovely little balcony area to sit in after a day of temple seeing.

Highly recommended for anyone visiting Bagan!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Ameiby1823
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel.

The owner and staff of the hotel were very helpful and accommodating. They had a spare dorm room for early check-in and late check-out guests. This really helped a lot because I arrived at left on overnight buses. They tried to help me book a plane ticket with a new airline. They made quite a few phone calls. It didn’t work out in the end because the airline didn’t have an office in Bagan, but I really appreciated the effort. I fell sick and they helped get some medicine. They also helped with me taking the local buses to another city. The owner spoke very good English and he gave quite some interesting background on the temples and Burmese culture.

The location of the hotel was ok. It’s easy to get to the main street and explore the temples. New Bagan is not that a good location but it’s probably the only choice with this budget.

The room was quite ok for this price. The only thing I didn’t like was the shower. The water pressure was way too low. The breakfast was simple but the staff prepared different food every day.

Overall I would highly recommend this place.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Mya Thida is a really cute little place with a garden and pond in the courtyard. I stayed in the 4-bed dorm room, but since it was low season the room was never full. It was nice to finally find a dorm option in Myanmar (there are mainly only private rooms in this country, which can be a bit frustrating for a solo traveler), however for $15 a night it seemed a bit pricey for a dorm. I've been paying about $15 for my own room elsewhere. But it made up for it with a great, local style breakfast (stick with it, guys! The white bread toast every other hotel provides as "breakfast" gets old fast), the cleanest room I've had in Myanmar, extremely friendly staff, and an awesome air con. They also let me check in straight away when my bus got in at 5am!

The hotel is in New Bagan, so you have to pay quite a fee to get a taxi from the bus stop, but I thought it was a nicer area than Nyaung U. Most of the locals I met live in New Bagan and you can see plenty of local people going about their daily lives. Some nice little restaurants down the street as well (I ate at Ma San Win twice for some Myanmar curry. Friendly staff and really good sweets that they give you after your meal). Only a 10-15 min. bike to Old Bagan and the main temples.

If you're on a bit of a budget I would definitely recommend Mya Thida. You can book online through Agoda to pay with a credit card, which is great in a country where you need cash for everything!

1 Thank AlysonK
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Location is pretty good. It's close to a number of restaurants and tea houses, but also removed from touristy areas like Old Bagan. The room I stayed in was a dorm room with 4 beds, but being the low season, I never had more than one roommate. The beds were large and comfortable and the AC worked very well.

As others have mentioned, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They'll help you plan places to visit and mention the history of individual places if you're interested.

Others are right that the WiFi isn't great, but it's not that much worse than other places I stayed in Myanmar. The price is also relatively high for what you get (which they, and all of other hotel owners I spoke to admitted), but I couldn't find a cheaper place without sacrificing on things like friendly service or basic facilities.

This is a great place to stay for somebody looking for a solid, cheap hotel option while staying in Bagan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo