For the price of the hotel, this is a good place. You're right in Old Bagan. Restaurants are nearby at the old gate. The horse carriage stall is just outside the hotel, making it easy to tour around the gorgeous pagodas if you wish to use them. There are also taxis waiting outside and bicycles to rent.
- No complaints about staff. Nearly everyone was very friendly and attentive.
- Clean rooms (though some could do with a new shower curtain)
- Beautiful location (one old pagoda ON the property and another huge one just next to it)
- Lovely river view for breakfast and dinner. In the evening, it's quite magical and mozzies aren't too much of an issue because it's so hot in Bagan.
Room for improvement:
-The pool. This was my biggest complaint.
Though the water was very clear (the attendant vacuumed it), it appeared not to be cleaned with the net the entire four nights we stayed. And we swam every day. Despite all the bugs and leaves and stuff. It would be REALLY great if they could ensure this was done multiple times a day.
The recliners are wood and painted white. They are badly in need of being completely sanded down and repainted or stained. Only some had cushions, and those cushions were very dirty, moldy (just coming to the end of the monsoon season), and had lots of bird poo on them. It was hard to find any that were relatively clean. They really need to fix this.
The patio/decking around the pool probably used to be quite beautiful, but it was rickety, damaged, and needed lots of repair work.
-Include a binder in the hotel room about the services they provide, including a map of Bagan, restaurants, places to go....you know, the usual. We didn't even know they provided laundry service until I asked housekeeping directly. It would be great to have these things told when checking in and also clearly available in the room.
-Be consistent on where they serve breakfast and dinner. Due to the rain, they sometimes needed to switch from outside b'fast/dinner by the river (understandable), but each night/morning it seemed to be in a different spot with no sign or anything to indicate where to go. This was a bit annoying.
- Get softer beds!!!!! I am used to very hard mattresses in SE Asia. I expect them. Ours (and we were in two different rooms - it was the same in both) were SO uncomfortable and hard I had to sleep on the floor on a very small twin mattress with my five year old daughter. THAT was more comfy than the bed!
Still, for the price, this is a good place to go. The service was very good.
We live in Myanmar though, so I think we would check-out a different hotel next time we return to Bagan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bagan Hotel River View is situated in a stunning location with fantastic views across the Ayeyarwaddy River. With the towering Gawdawpalin Temple on one side and the river front on the other, this attractive hotel is situated in the heart of Old Bagan, one of the world's most fascinating cultural heritage sites and Theravada Buddhism first flourished in Bagan. The hotel set on its own 7.8 acres of landscaped garden, indulges prominent view to breathtaking Ayeyarwaddy River, a treasure of Myanmar and a gift from the Nature. Not only the resort has been meticulously planned to be unique and original. The hotel unique architecture remains loyal to authentic Myanmar cultural and its lush garden compound features two ancient Pagoda are Shinpinthettawshay Pagoda and Shinpinthettawya Pagoda. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bagan Hotel River View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River View Hotel Bagan
- River View Bagan