“Good service, beautiful location, needs a little TLC”

Bagan Hotel River View
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed October 16, 2012

For the price of the hotel, this is a good place. You're right in Old Bagan. Restaurants are nearby at the old gate. The horse carriage stall is just outside the hotel, making it easy to tour around the gorgeous pagodas if you wish to use them. There are also taxis waiting outside and bicycles to rent.

The good:
- No complaints about staff. Nearly everyone was very friendly and attentive.
- Clean rooms (though some could do with a new shower curtain)
- Beautiful location (one old pagoda ON the property and another huge one just next to it)
- Lovely river view for breakfast and dinner. In the evening, it's quite magical and mozzies aren't too much of an issue because it's so hot in Bagan.

Room for improvement:
-The pool. This was my biggest complaint.
Though the water was very clear (the attendant vacuumed it), it appeared not to be cleaned with the net the entire four nights we stayed. And we swam every day. Despite all the bugs and leaves and stuff. It would be REALLY great if they could ensure this was done multiple times a day.
The recliners are wood and painted white. They are badly in need of being completely sanded down and repainted or stained. Only some had cushions, and those cushions were very dirty, moldy (just coming to the end of the monsoon season), and had lots of bird poo on them. It was hard to find any that were relatively clean. They really need to fix this.
The patio/decking around the pool probably used to be quite beautiful, but it was rickety, damaged, and needed lots of repair work.

-Include a binder in the hotel room about the services they provide, including a map of Bagan, restaurants, places to go....you know, the usual. We didn't even know they provided laundry service until I asked housekeeping directly. It would be great to have these things told when checking in and also clearly available in the room.

-Be consistent on where they serve breakfast and dinner. Due to the rain, they sometimes needed to switch from outside b'fast/dinner by the river (understandable), but each night/morning it seemed to be in a different spot with no sign or anything to indicate where to go. This was a bit annoying.

- Get softer beds!!!!! I am used to very hard mattresses in SE Asia. I expect them. Ours (and we were in two different rooms - it was the same in both) were SO uncomfortable and hard I had to sleep on the floor on a very small twin mattress with my five year old daughter. THAT was more comfy than the bed!

Still, for the price, this is a good place to go. The service was very good.

We live in Myanmar though, so I think we would check-out a different hotel next time we return to Bagan.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our stay at the Bagan Hotel River View was pleasant surprise. For $60 a night, our room was clean and centrally located to the Irrawaddy River and all of the pagodas. The pool was large and clean, and the food was actually quite great. I recommend asking the front desk to arrange a horse cart for exploring the pagodas. Overall, this is was one of the nicest hotels I encountered at this price point in Myanmar.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2012

A rather late review as I stayed with my girlfriend in February 2012 but we had a magical trip in Bagan and a lovely stay at the Bagan Hotel, certainly the hotel added to enjoyable time we had in Bagan. It is well located, although old Bagan is a small area, the swimming pool is great after a long hot day looking around the temples although it can be freezing and the eating area at the back of the hotel overlooking the river is wonderful. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and I would happily return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here twice, once while traveling with a group and then another time on a solo trip. When you are running around with a group you definitely overlook some of the details and see them as just adding comedy to the trip.

This is a nice hotel. It has a lovely pool, a gorgeous view of the river with a large deck to relax on, there are ruins on the hotel grounds, the staff tries their best. The location is in old Bagan and if you rent a bicycle you are just a short distance away from incredible ruins.

The main thing I realized is that this hotel needs to be updated. Getting wifi is extremely iffy/unrealistic. On my first trip it was not even an option and during my second stay the staff said it was hooked up and worked well yet still I (and other guests) could never get a connection which lasted more than two minutes. The rooms are fine. The AC units and refrigerators can make a lot of noise and not all facets are leak-proof. The staff's grasp of English is a bit hit or miss but if you are patient they will do their best.

I would not dismiss this hotel and I believe that as tourists rates increase this hotel will continue to get better and better. It is a charming place in Bagan.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2012

good view / good customer care/ easy to go pagan famous pagodas/ ၂ ရက္ ေနခဲ႔ တယ္ ။ room charges လဲ မဆိုးပါဘူး။ I like swimming pool ေရကူးရတာအရမ္းေကာင္းတယ္။ နံနက္စာလည္း ေကာင္းတယ္ verity of bread I like so much at breakfast time. ဒါေပမယ္႔ internet wifi မရတာ အရမ္းဆိုးတယ္။lobby မွာ ဘဲ သံုုးရတာ အဆင္ မေျပဘူး။ ေနာက္ ႏွစ္ လာရင္ အားလံုးအဆင္ေျပေစခ်င္တယ္ ။ေပ်ာ္ရြင္ စရာေန.ရက္မ်ားအတြက္ေက်းဇူးပါ။

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We came in rainy season and it only rained once, for about 5 minutes unlike Yangon. It was so quiet, perfect! Room was excellent, although the staff kept putting the air con on at 18*c. I live in Asia and didn't appreciate it. On our last night, they decorated our beds with flowers. A beautiful touch. We spent afternoons by the pool and were generally alone. Although it was quite, the staff were not sleeping. An awesome experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The 3 nights my wife and I spend at this hotel were wonderful. Although we arrived at just after 10 a.m., our room was ready (it was off-season.) After a quick shower and unpacking, we made ourselves comfortable around the lovely pool. Food from the restaurant was delicious, although I would recommend sticking to Burmese cuisine.

The hotel features a deck at the bottom of the garden from which sunset can be viewed. There was a bar there, and evidence that they have barbecued food, but being low-season this was out of commission. Nevertheless, it's a pleasant place to watch the sun go down.

Our twin room was a good size; I forgot to write double on the Agoda booking form, and I was too lazy to ask the hotel staff to change it. The bathroom even came with a bathtub, a rare luxury in South East Asia. My only complaint with housekeeping is that whenever they made up the room, they would leave the air-con running at 19 C, which was rather too chilly when compared with the mid 30s outside. However, housekeeping did arrange flowers on our beds for our last night (see my photos) which was a wonderful touch.

Hotel reception was very helpful in reconfirming flights and arranging a taxi to the airport,

I've seen a review on here that says the breakfast buffet was small, but I disagree; there were many different cuisines available....maybe it was the small choice of cereals available. The coffee was excellent, and eggs cooked perfectly to order.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple