“You know what to do: Book with Min Thu!”

Min Thu Horse and Cart Tour
Ranked #10 of 23 Tours in Bagan
Bangkok
187 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“You know what to do: Book with Min Thu!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you want two memorable days in Bagan, this tour is the way to go. Minthu is very knowledgeable and he knows all of the best places to go. After a day of touring on his horse cart I thought we'd be "templed-out" but going by car the second day proved just as amazing. He also took us for great Burmese food both days. Minthu may be more expensive than other cart-drivers, but he is guaranteed awesomeness!

Visited April 2013

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Private Tour in Bagan”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My 2 nights stay exploring Bagan is a great experience with Kyaw Swe, minthu older brother.I keep in touch with Kyaw Swe through Minthu.He is very passionate to explain to me each of the pagoda history and I can say he is a knowledgeable man.I hired him for one full day trip and two ways airport transfer. since my flight is in the evening and I can't get late check out from my Hotel , so last minute I hire him to Mount Popa before he sent me to airport.Kyaw Swe know the great spot to take nice photograph too.highly recommended!!!!! I give him 5 star!!!!

Visited March 2013
Washington, DC
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Forget the Lonely Planet Guide - Hire the Expert Minthu!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

When in Bagan, We loved our horse cart driver Minthu Swe who helped us create a wonderful photo-opportunity-filled two day itinerary of the temples. One day we travelled with him on horse cart and the next day, he arranged for a van and driver to take us to the other sites as he had written and detailed instructions to the driver in the local language (all at a very reasonable cost.) We had a lot of National Geographic moments and private sunsets away from the crowds. We believe that Minthu should be Bagan’s Minister of Archaeology! You can reach him at minthu.bagan@gmail.com, but book him early before your arrival because he’s so knowledgeable and cares deeply about Bagan. You will not need the out-of-date and inaccurate Lonely Planet guide if you reserve Minthu.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank JPSWashington_DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Exploring Bagan on Horse Cart - The Real Experience!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

There are a few options when traveling to Bagan and exploring the temples. Traveling in an air conditioned van/car can be nice since it brings relief to Bagan's heat and humidity, but you're limited on the places you can travel to given the conditions of the roads. Hence, you're subject to traveling to all the same places as other tourists. Riding a bike can also be fun, but given that there are hardly no street signs on rural dirt roads, it can be hard to find some of the temples. You're also limited to only temples listed in the Lonely Planet book. Keep in mind that there are over 4000 temples in Bagan:)

I think by far, the best way to explore the temples is on horse cart! There's just something about sitting on the back of the horse cart and seeing the temples surround you while you're riding on the remote dirt roads that just makes it all seem real and you're really experiencing the moment. Don't get me wrong, it can be hot as well, but you can often get breezes on the cart while you're riding. Plus, you're also helping the local economy by supporting people in the local villages.

This is my second time to Bagan and both times I used the services of Minthu Swe. Minthu is such a great guide and host in exploring Bagan! This year we went to all new temples that I didn't visit last year and saw mural paintings and temples that aren't listed in the Lonely Planet guide book. We traveled to some remote temples and it was so beautiful just to see all the sesame or peanut fields in the backdrop. I would see the local villagers herding their goats and cows. Minthu was so great that we would be able to stop and I could take pictures of them. He also knew where all the right places were to take photos of the temples if you're an avid photographer.

Minthu is so organized that he kept a listing of all the temples I visited last year and was able to plan a brand new itinerary for me. I'm so happy that I went back since I got to see and experience so many new things. On the first day, I got to see a gorgeous sunset atop this hill. It was a great vantage point and there was only one other couple there so it wasn't packed with loads of people like some of the other more popular sunset temples. Minthu also took me to his Auntie's restaurant place called Sarabar -3. It's where all the locals eat and you're sitting down on these cute blue small stools. I was nervous at first about eating the food, but all of it was delicious and I didn't get sick. I'm also vegetarian and they were able to give me so many wonderful tasty dishes with no meat or fish in it. I wished I would have ate there more often!

What's also great about Minthu is that this trip was a last minute decision for me since I was unsure about going back to Bagan since I was there last year. I'm so glad I did since I experienced all new things! Minthu was able to arrange all my internal flights and room accommodations which helped me out tremendously!! He gave me several different hotel options within my price range to choose from.

I would highly recommend Minthu for his expertise and knowledge of the temples and his home. Minthu speaks both English and German and I found his prices very reasonable, especially considering everything that you're getting to experience in Bagan. He even gave me a detailed itinerary of what I saw at the end of the trip that noted all the places I visited and took pictures of. He's very detailed and organized! Minthu is so great and humble and epitomizes how wonderful and kind the people of Myanmar are. For more information, you can visit his website at www.minthubaganhorsecart.com or www.horsecartbagan.com.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank waltemi
Manila, Philippines
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent Guide”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a very limited time but fortunately Min Thu made my visit exceptionally significant. From arrival, during the tour (skills, knowledge and photography tricks) until departure; he exceeded my expectations. To add on that, after the tour he gave me a notes of what I did that day...

Visited July 2012