“I have not place to see sunset from Shwesantaw pagoda.”
Review of Bagan Temples

and up
Private City Day Tour of Bagan
Ranked #1 of 108 things to do in Bagan
More attraction details
Owner description: An area of 42 sq km houses thousands of richly decorated pagodas & temples.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Sunset is very amazing but we have not place to see sunset, a lot of people are there when me and my traveller comeback to hotel by horsecart it not convenience.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,756)
All reviews
in 76 reviews
"early morning"
in 65 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2013

low season is stil OK, no rain, less people.

Beautiful place, worth traveling far to see this beautiful place. Nice biking around, seeing this beautiful landscape/old tempels.

NB! watch out for pickpocketing at crowded sights, there are pickups full of Indian looking people, surrounding you, stealing and harassing.

1  Thank Marte S
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having been to Angkor Wat and the My Son temples in Vietnam, I thought that nothing could match those wonders. However, I was simply blown away. The sheer number, variety and history of the temples are staggering. This is a bucket list must do.

2  Thank elfin_flyer
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've been wanting to visit since I started learning about Burmese history. It's more than what I was expecting. Wish I could have stayed longer to explore more. It's kind of sad that the earthquake in the 80s ruined some of the buildings and some are not the original statues.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, to visit Myanmar.
The temples are spectacular at every time of the day and whether you view them from the tower, a boat on the water or as you pedal around on a bicycle! We did all three of these activities and saw a different aspect each time.
Being off season we encountered hardly tourists at all and despite the heat during the day, the sights never lost their appeal and awe-inspiring aura.
I can't even imagine Bagan when all 13,000 temples and stupas were still standing.
Even with "only" 2000 in existence this is one of the most amazing places I have ever been.
Up to now, Angkor Wat had that place in my heart but Bagan is mesmerizing.
I definitely recommend taking a bike trip. Most of the hotels have bikes to rent for a nominal fee or for no charge. Our hotel concierge staff told us that if we got tired if cycling just leave the bike down and walk on, nobody will take the bikes! The bike paths wend their way through the smaller temples where you will also encounter oxen and ploughs, farmhouses, goatherds and their flocks. The bigger temples will have small snack "shacks", t-shirt vendors and the usual tourist traps. Beware the vendors! They are relentless. This was the first time on our trip that we encountered the real tourist-savvy kids and adults with their smattering of English/French/Italian phrases who hounded us on our way into the temples and remembered us when we emerged again. It reminded us of Thailand 25 years ago! But we had not experienced this in either Yangon or Mandalay so it was a bit surprising initially. As long as you are prepared for this touring the temples is a fantastic experience.

1  Thank JPSF49