“The reason to visit Myanmar!”
Review of Bagan Temples

and up
Private City Day Tour of Bagan
Ranked #1 of 105 things to do in Bagan
More attraction details
Owner description: An area of 42 sq km houses thousands of richly decorated pagodas & temples.
San Francisco, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The reason to visit Myanmar!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, to visit Myanmar.
The temples are spectacular at every time of the day and whether you view them from the tower, a boat on the water or as you pedal around on a bicycle! We did all three of these activities and saw a different aspect each time.
Being off season we encountered hardly tourists at all and despite the heat during the day, the sights never lost their appeal and awe-inspiring aura.
I can't even imagine Bagan when all 13,000 temples and stupas were still standing.
Even with "only" 2000 in existence this is one of the most amazing places I have ever been.
Up to now, Angkor Wat had that place in my heart but Bagan is mesmerizing.
I definitely recommend taking a bike trip. Most of the hotels have bikes to rent for a nominal fee or for no charge. Our hotel concierge staff told us that if we got tired if cycling just leave the bike down and walk on, nobody will take the bikes! The bike paths wend their way through the smaller temples where you will also encounter oxen and ploughs, farmhouses, goatherds and their flocks. The bigger temples will have small snack "shacks", t-shirt vendors and the usual tourist traps. Beware the vendors! They are relentless. This was the first time on our trip that we encountered the real tourist-savvy kids and adults with their smattering of English/French/Italian phrases who hounded us on our way into the temples and remembered us when we emerged again. It reminded us of Thailand 25 years ago! But we had not experienced this in either Yangon or Mandalay so it was a bit surprising initially. As long as you are prepared for this touring the temples is a fantastic experience.

Visited July 2013

• Vietnamese first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
332 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 331 helpful votes
“One of the Major Reasons to Visit Myanmar”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Bagan is one of the major temple areas in South-East Asia. With more than 2000 temples scattered around the massive area, you are spoilt for choice on which ones to visit. In any case, the major ones are noted on the free Myanmar map provided by the Tourism Ministry, so you won't have a hard time checking out the major ones. Be sure to grab the free map on your way out of the Yangon airport. If you missed it, you can still get one at downtown Yangon at the Tourism offices.

Tip - be sure to start early if you're cycling around. It gets very hot in the afternoon unless you like to bask in the heat. I started at 5am and managed to cover the major sites before noon on the bicycle. I went back to the hotel to escape the heat before going out in the late afternoon for sunsets.

If you reach Bagan after lunch, you may want to hire a bicycle for half a day AND for the next day, so you can start right away early the next morning. Do not return the bicycle. Also, with the half day, you should go one round first, looking at the various locations without going in, so that the next day, you already know where to head first.

Enjoy your stay at Bagan!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JoshShoeString
New York, New York, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Mystical”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Really dreamy and beautiful. I wonderful place to day dream. Watch the sun rise, the sun set and for when I return....gaze at the stars.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Perhaps my favourite place in the world”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I've travelled to a fair few places, but I don't think any place has ever evoked such contentment. Bike riding through the temples and finding my own little temple to watch the sunset in utter solitude is probably the best travel experience I've ever had. In a way I'm happy that the tourism industry is improving... but it will be such a shame if mass tourism ruins future such experiences.

Visited October 2012
sharmelsheikh
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“got to be one of the most atmospheric places on earth”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Incredibly hot but incredibly atmospheric and beautiful. Ended up hiring a daily air-con taxi to take us to see temples that couldn't be visited on foot as it was just too hot. It was worth the extra cost as the whole area is unforgettable. I've never seen so many Buddhas in many many different sizes, shapes, colours and styles - every pagoda has a Buddha no matter how old or ruined it is. We discovered some ancient frescoes in temples and that was amazing - some temples are locked and can only be accessed with keys from the 'temple keeper' if you can find him. Worth pursuing. The sunrise and sunset pictures are very atmospheric - many of the older temples are now closed - try to get out of the town by the river to see how the locals live - the people are peaceful with huge hearts and Buddhism is so very important to them - you really get that!! Generally these are a peaceful people with big smiles and happy to please. An exhausting week spent here but worth every effort - aided by the fact our hotel had a swimming pool as 40 degrees plus is pretty unbearable. Would definitely visit again but it is hard going to Myanmar - they have many pre-requisites - strict visa entry, US crisp dollars etc. etc. The tourist buses are pretty good and travel by road was easy. Very glad I spoke my partner into visiting here and we both survived!

Visited April 2013