“Wonderful Mosque”

Baiturrahman Grand Mosque
Ranked #1 of 43 things to do in Banda Aceh
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this mosque Masjid Raya Banda Aceh, not because I am French like its original architect, not only because I became a Muslim in this Mosque but because everytime I see its beauty, by night time especially, I feel like praying. As beautiful as Sanaa Mosque - Yemen.

5  Thank LMF409
in 5 reviews
"gold shops"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Exceptional architecture, one of only few big building survived from struck off Aceh's Tsunami in 2004.

Situated in centre of Banda Aceh city. From here, after sunset, you'll be suprised that many food stalls, stores, and another activities were still there until midnight!! Something I didn't expect from the city of no more than 200 thousand people. Just go after sunset (or Magrib in Indonesian term). It's safe. And warmed. They welcome anyone. No preman (hoodlum). They don't even have annoying parking guy. I asked to the resident, he said that preman nor another annoying people wouldn't be survived in Banda Aceh. It's good thing, right?! The news about security issue was just news. You should come to this city, to see people live their live after tsunami of 2004.

5  Thank jakworld
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Aceh was where Islam entered the Indonesian archipelago through trade routes and through contact with Islamic nations to the north. This is where Indonesia sat at the knee of Islamic scholars. All over Aceh you can see different architectural traditions embodied in their Mosques.I lived and worked in Banda Aceh for several years during the recovery period after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. For the first year I lived in an accommodation which gave me a ringside view just across the street of this Mosque. Its beautiful Minaret is what I saw when I looked out my window. It was from this minaret that the call to prayer would be the first sounds that I would hear each morning. This mosque has become a kind of symbol of survival after the 2004 tsunami. People within the business precinct within which it is located who were able to reach it in time to take sanctuary, survived the wave as it inundated Banda Aceh. The whole site was badly damaged, but the architecture of a mosque offers no serious resistance to destruction of fast flowing water, so its basic scaffolding was able to remain intact. This is how the Acehnese people feel about their religion and this view is embodied in the mosque's survival itself. During the time I was in Banda Aceh, one of our colleagues was married. Part of the ceremony took place at this mosque. I was invited. I was appropriately attired. When I entered the mosque for the ceremony a woman who happened to be there rushed forward and insisted that I leave, forthwith. I was embarrassed and I had to leave. Suddenly I was alienated from this place that had become an important part of my daily life, which had as much a visual presence as much as a sound presence. So, I guess, that non Muslim visitors to Banda Aceh must be prepared to not be allowed to enter this mosque. This does not detract from its splendour nor its place in the Banda Aceh cityscape in any way, but just be prepared to not be allowed to enter. I see from another post that this mosque was designed by a non Muslim. The same is true for the Minaret, at least, of the Grand Mosque in Jakarta, which was designed by a Christian. After all Christians and Muslims, together with members of the Jewish faith, are all of the Abrahamic tradition and already understand quite a lot about each others world view. When I visited Banda Aceh earlier this year there was this beautiful mosque again in all its splendor, with all of the business of daily life continuing around its domain.

5  Thank Star707
Reviewed April 20, 2013

positive thing: very beautiful, with a fantastic architect who is greatness and pretty clean inside and outside the mosque, but negatipnya bathroom and WC are unreasonably low and not clean alias slob

1  Thank Zulfan_Yacoeb
See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Was originally designed by G. Bruins, my great-grandfather.
The design was subsequently adapted by L.P. Luijks, who also supervised the construction work done by contractor Lie A Sie, the one and only contractor who wnated to do the work.
The job went over budget by 25%.
There were great difficulties during the building, all materials had to be imported from China, Holland and Belgium, and no local workers wanted to be part of all. When finished, the Aceh people did not care for it much, which is understandable, because the dutch ruined the previous mosque with artillery shells.
A technical description can be found in the Nationaal Archief in the Hague, archive number, part 507 (not online, you have to go there)
In later years, a lot of additions and changes were made to the original.

1  Thank TomT382