“4 Thumbs Up to the workers at Ijen Crater”
Review of Ijen Crater

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bali, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“4 Thumbs Up to the workers at Ijen Crater”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

to climb a 3km path way to Kawah Ijen, just to see teh magnificent God's wonder of "Blue Fire" - which felt like climbing forever ! - was difficult, for my 5 year old son, my self even for my husband... we started to climb from 2am all the way up and reach the crater at 4pm... the view was totally amazing but the most incredible were the workers - pak Cholic, pak Suroto and his friends...- they have to go through the path everyday at least 2x daily and carry at least 75kg of sulphur on their backs all the way down !!! What a job they do... And thank you for your friendships, Gentlemen... My son was most gracious to all of you for being so kind to him ! We will see you again one day :-)

Visited April 2014

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Class”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We set off at 1 am from Banyuwangi and was in the crater by around 4 am. The climb up isn't too bad, lots of people stopping for rests so no need to worry about that. The climb down is a little more difficult- quite slippy so wear sport trainers and not flip flops like we originally planned on doing.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the sky- the stars were the best I have ever seen on the trek up!

The blue flames as everyone has said are unreal. As is the crater lake once the sun rises- though it was very smoky so the views weren't the best. Once you get back to the crater rim, views of surrounding mountains and volcanos are ridiculous. Really stunning

Regarding the sulphur minors- you will see maybe four or five working as you go up and down. It's gutting seeing a man in his fifties panting and shaking like a dog for a terrible wage. We handed out cigs and sweets as suggested by people on here (which they were very grateful for) but in hindsight I wish I had taken some money. Even if I could of given these guys 10 or 20 k, I would of only spent about 10 usd and this would of been a massive boost to them. If a few people did this, it could make a huge difference to their lives- increase their wages or decrease their crazy work load. Our guide does this as a job when he has no visitors- they get 7,000 rupiah per 10kg and usually carry about 70-100 kg. Pathetic wages for what they do, so yeah, if you can afford it I really do suggest giving out a little money here and there.

I haven't seen much advice on coming from Bali independently to do this, so if will leave it here. The moment you step on the ferry from Gillimanuk is the moment you begin getting scammed. A local will sit
next to you, tell you how great ijen crater is etc then twenty mins later that there is no accomodation within your budget, places are closed down you planned to stay and surprise surprise you should stay with him. We didn't cause we knew his game. What we didn't know was these people have contacts in Bali who tell them when 'white people are getting on the ferry'. On trying to return to Bali, we went to the bus terminal in Banyuwangi as you do. As the densapar bus pulled up, a guy chucked the front passenger some cash, waved it on and came back to tell us the bus was full. Thanks for that. Obviously we were then surrounded by people offering to take us for extortionate prices. We just witnessed them pay our bus to drive past us, so they it the middle finger and we made our own way.

My advice on getting here from Bali would be to tell anyone who asks you have already booked accommodation and put headphones in (I really recommend Cevilla bed and breakfast- they will take you to and from the port, sort out your tours at low prices, show you local sights, show you where you can get great food for 6000 rupiah and it is stupidly cheap). Other than the attempted scams, we we're treat like celebrities in Banyuwangi. Kids chased us down the streets and laughed at us, men came and shook our hands and women asked for our photos. Had a great time

Visited April 2014
5 Thank TroyCarter
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“BLUE FIRE”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

You should see blue fire. To see this, you need should arrived near the caouldron before 4 o'clock in the morning and take about 3 hours to the caouldron (around 4km).

2 Thank chitato
Leiden, The Netherlands
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Litterally and figuratively breathtaking”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We started the slog up the trail at 7 am and its initial steepness left me rather breathless, not so the sulphurminers who are always in for a picture (one or two kretek cigarettes or cookies are expected in return). What awaited me at the end after the second part of the trail left me breathless once again. This time in three ways though: the sheer beauty of the sight, the clouds of sulphurous vapour belching out from the vents below that literally envelop you and the disbelief at the hard work the miners here have. Respect for the latter only grows as you descend into the crater (the strongest of these guys carry 90 kilos up the steep trail from the crater to the rim and down the mountain). Once down, you see the trickle of liquid sulphur cominig out of oil barrels turned condensers while breathing through a wet cloth to keep the vapor out of your lungs.The miners are a cheery lot and will answer questions you might have. Once again cookies and kretek cigarettes are appreciated.

Go early to beat the heat, be very careful when entering the crater, it's slippy at points and the trail is sometimes difficult to make out in the fumes. Bring protection against breathing-in the vapors (a wet cloth will do). Also; diving or swimming goggles help protect your eyes from stinging. If you go at night to see the blue flame; TAKE A GUIDE!!! You wouldn't be the first to fall and hurt him- or herself. No real diirect medcal aid is available.

We (me and two others austrians I was wiith at the tiime) organised transport and a driver from Banyuwangi's Baru Hotel. The guy who organised this (Supri) was really knowledgeable and arranged everything perfectly.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Remboman
Quebec City, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wonderful Kawah Ijen”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is something not to be missed, even if it was not very annonced two years ago... The road was terrible to get there, but thanks to our driver, everything was fine. And once, there, wow! Nothing can compare in the world! The crater lake is a deep turquoise blue, and the workers at the mine are incredibly strong, carrying on their shoulders and backs almost 100 pounds of sulphur. We used Ijen Miner Tour (Mr. Ganda) as our guides: https://www.vcita.com/v/ijenminer
We were totally satisfied by this company. If you want to see something absolutely unique, do not hesitate. My blog of the travel: http://louise-zibeline.blogspot.com

Visited April 2013