“Basic with flaws”

Ranked #27 of 47 Banyuwangi B&B and Inns
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Basic with flaws”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Ok don't expect too much here: A bed wiith a thin mattrass, a fan, cold water in a wash basin, no shower, rats the size of cats and lots of iinsects (these are the tropics however). This was in the compound across the street so I don't know about the ones behind receptiion. My room was behind the restaurant where the manager has a definate predisposition to religious musiic at very early hours.

On the upsiide: it's relatively cheap, the staff are veryhelpful and the guide (Supri) who organises trips to Ijen is REALLy knowledgeable (if you say to the reception that you want to go to Ijen, he's the one they'll call). Also, the warung down the road (going west) has awesome food! It's also the perfect place to visit Ijen from.

Room Tip: I only looked at a room in the compound across the road. Try to see the rooms behind the reception...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
King George, Virginia
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

If you are going to Banyuwangi, stay here and ask to speak with Supri! He's a phenomenal guide and we had an awesome time touring his village, hiking Ijen, and visiting the leatherback turtle hatchery at Sukamade.

And now for the hotel. Everyone seems to know it, so that was helpful when getting a taxi there. It's conveniently located near restaurants and a big market is a 10 minute walk away. The rooms are nothing spectacular, but they were clean. We went with the VIP room (air-con, shower, coffee/tea, breakfast). The air con was good. No hot water but the shower was cool not cold. However, it was pretty warm in BWI so we liked the cool shower. The unlimited coffee and tea were great. No wifi in the room but the connection in the common room was really fast.

• Stayed January 2014
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'm being generous giving this place one star; not really but that's the lowest it can get here. We stumbled into Hotel Baru one night on our adventure to Kawah Ijen, after an interesting sunset ferry ride from Gilimanuk, Bali. Finding the hotel is a nightmare at night which I really don't recommend trying; then seeing the place in person made it even worse. When I find the writer of the french-indo guide who included this place I will knock him out. The average room quality reminds me of American prison documentaries, but complete with nests of Indonesian cockroaches. The first room we looked at was so shockingly basic, dirty and ill-equipped we were compelled to take the more expensive "VIP" room which even then was something out of a horror movie.

After seeing some of the alarming residents eyeing us up, we "slept" with most of the furniture stacked against the barely locking door. 5am we were up and packing to get out of there. Our inclusive "breakfast" was served begrudgingly by front desk staff who were appalled we chose bread over the rice option. Two pieces of dry toast with something that resembled fruit jam and a small glass of the worst Indonesian "coffee" in human history. So much for eating.

Hotel Baru would have to pay me - a lot of money - to stay there again. In fact even calling this place a hotel should be considered a criminal offense.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you want a good room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brad-Anthony-Bali

Travelers are raving about these Banyuwangi hotels

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Worst accomodation during our 1-month long trip in Java and Bali. How on earth can this place be recommended by Lonely Planet??! We arrived in Banyuwangi quire late one evening and after calling a few other places that were booked out, we ended up at Hotel Baru. We were given a "VIP" room with a cold water mandi and aircon and paid on arrival (first time, usually it is always when you leave, should have been a hint!!). The room was dirty, smelly and looked depressing, the bedsheets dirty as well and smelled unclean from previous occupants, mosquitoes were flying around in squadrons. To top it off, the floor under the beds was covered in rat poo. The next morning we packed up and ran out of this dive without having the included breakfast (who wants to eat in such a dirty place?).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StruckByWanderlust83
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I only stayed one night here, but it wasn't a very good one. I had an economy room, I was on my own but it was the same price as a double. Yes, the price is cheap and you get what you pay for. The sheets were really dirty, and some even ripped. When I asked for clean sheets staff refused, insisting that all the sheets were clean. There was a cockroach in the room, the mandi was dirty and the plug leaked. There were ases in the ashtray when i got the room. The fan in the room didn't turn so I don't know how two people could sleep there. It was very noisy. The wifi didn't work in the room or the lobby or the lounge. Breakfast comes with the room. If you like Indonesian breakfast, they actually have quite a nice buffet. But if you are going up ijen in the middle of the night, which I assume most foreign tourists who sleep in banyuwangi are doing, they give you a white bread and jam sandwich to take with you. I have seen hotels that pack a really nice breakfast for hikers (with an egg, cheese, drink), and I'd think that a hotel that really cared about its guests would have worked this out given the amount if people who need it. Also, tea and coffee are supposed to be available free any time, but when I asked for a cup of coffee after returning from a hike that started at midnight, the response was "finished." if you need a cheap place to stay for a night, this is that, but it wasn't very pleasant. Could be tat their better rooms are different.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Theruthi
townsville
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Rooms are clean, by indonesian standards. The vip rooms cost around 200000rp and have AC and western toilet, but no hot water or fridge. I originally planned to stay one night but ended up staying for my entire holiday. The staff are very friendly and can arrange for english speeking guides and transport. Very basic facilities, but if you want a clean room and would like to experience east Javan hospitality in the heart of banyuwangi I recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo