“Average quality for a four-star hotel”

Aston Samarinda Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Samarinda
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Average quality for a four-star hotel”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I long-stayed at here for 18 nights. Based on my experiences when stay for a long period (10 days and up), the hotels give the long-stayed guest compliments such as fruit basket or cake at the week end. I didn't face this experience during my stay at Aston Samarinda. Ironically, I got this compliments when I stayed at other Aston hotels.

Room Tip: Ask to have city-view room. Otherwise you will have inside pool-view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sistho S, Manager at Aston Samarinda Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Sip3542,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor comment. We appreciate your positive advice and know that your observations are reviewed by our management team as We constantly strive to improve.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you will give us another try in the future so we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

With very warm regards from Management of ASTON Samarinda Hotel & Convention Center.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed a single night on a business trip. Was at Samarinda for a site visit before returning to Balikpapan the next day. In effect in the hotel for all of 12-hours, check-ed in at 9pm and left just before 9am the next day.

Pros
(1) Clean
The rooms were clean, nothing to fault here. A snap shot of the room is attached in this report

(2) Great Location
The hotel is connected to the Samarinda Central Park (SCP) Mall. The mall is great if you need to find food and many other amenities. There is a McDonald's , KFC and Pizza Hut there if the local food isn't to your liking. There is also a cineplex on the 5th floor of the mall.

You can access the mall from the hotel via the 2nd floor. However this isn't a direct access , the lift opens to a section of the car park and you cut through this small car park section and enter the mall via the rear enterance of a super market. Note the super market closes at 9pm. So after 9pm you cannot excatly use this route back to the hotel

(3) Good wi-fi speed & no additional charge to use it
The wi-fi speed was good enough to allow for checking of emails and for general browsing. There isn't any addiitonal charges to use the wi-fi. The receptionist will give you the log-in name and password

Cons :
(1) A bit pricey rate per night
Cost us IDR833,000 for that night in a twin bed superior room. Which is a bit on the high side compared to hotel rooms in the area. But still good value

Overall a plesant stay for a very short transit stop on a business trip. Did not spend a lot of time there I would admit. However will not mind and very likely stay here again when in Samarinda again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TongHwi
Sistho S, Manager at Aston Samarinda Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Mr. TongHwi,
Thank you for your compliments on our room, the strategic location and the fantastic internet access. We look forward to welcoming you again soon to ASTON Samarinda Hotel & Convention Center.
Best Wishes, Management ASTON Samarinda Hotel & Convention Center.
jakarta
Reviewed February 15, 2013

It looks like they have tried to build a nice hotel but the finishing touches show poor planning and design. I stayed in an exectuive room (second highest catagory in the hotel) and had the following issues:
1. Cant shut the curtain properly as the curtain is smaller than the window.
2. They put the toilet under the sink. I had to sit on it sidewise!
3. No independant shower in the executive room only a bathtub (because in the mornings of course executives have time for baths!), In the end the bathtub didnt work either and i had to use the spray attachment whilst kneeling in the tub. Great way to start the day!
I complained to the front desk about the room isssues and they were sympathetic but then transferred me to the duty manager who didnt care at all.
The restaurant is very very average and didnt even have a single bottle of wine available when we were there. Internet is very very slow.
Overall there must be a better hotel in Samarinda than this and definitely DO NOT stay in an "executive" room

Room Tip: Do Not stay in an Executive Room. Very bad room layout, no shower
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

First of all this is the best hotel I've stayed in Samarinda so far which isn’t say very much. Having said that, there are many little improvements that could be made to upgrade this rating from a really really average to good. I began writing this review at the start of my stay and I have to say that the review got downgraded progressively through my stay.
The good points are that the hotel is new so the rooms are relatively clean, quiet and comfortable. It is also in a good location right next to Central Plaza which has restaurants and fast food outlets. The in room massage was outstanding. Check in staff, restaurant staff and bell hops are friendly.
As for the areas of improvement:
First off, the room seems to be lacking some basic amenities: hairdryer (!!!!!!!), cable for internet, some toiletries, not enough towels and light switches that don’t work.
As for the internet cable, I requested one from reception and waited 30 minutes for it, it never showed up and I had a meeting to attend so I left my room. When I came back and it was not delivered, I didn't bother asking again.
The toiletries consist of hand soap, conditioning shampoo and a body wash, no body lotion or actual conditioner. No conditioner + no hairdryer = flyaway fluffy hair……. I saw a few other ladies walking around at breakfast with damp hair as well.
The bedside lights have on/off switches on the cords that don’t work, after much fiddling and clicking them on/off, I just yanked the plug out of the wall instead.
The design of bathroom with the shower over the tub is poorly conceived. The water gets everywhere even with the curtain pulled. As a result I had to use my towel to mop up the huge puddle on the floor. The hotel only provides 2 towels, no hand towels, no face towels so I could only use each towel once because of the water issue. Also as with a lot of Indonesian hotels, I find that the plumbing is sub-standard. The drainage is poor. After about a minute in the shower and you are standing in about 3 cm of water because the tub won't drain quickly enough.
Also 2 nights in a row, housekeeping delivered my bathroom floor mat at 9pm at night.
There were also a lot of little flying insects in my room and a gecko.
On day 2 of my stay, I had dirty laundry in my personal laundry bag and placed it next to my suitcase. When I came back to my room in the evening I discovered the bag missing and housekeeping had taken my clothes to be laundered even though I had not requested any laundry service. My dirty clothes were not placed in the hotel laundry hamper nor had I filled out a laundry request form. I tried calling reception to tell them of their mistake but they didn’t really understand me, so instead I asked for the laundry to be expedited because I was leaving very early the next day. It wasn’t worth the fight.
The restaurant was okay. Had lunch and breakfast there. Standard fare, nothing to write home about. No espresso style coffees though. Also I order a sparkling mineral water which came to me at room temperature.
Another negative is no gym but thankfully the room is spacious enough for me to do a basic workout.
So most of my complaints are really just very easy fixes. I’ll do another review of this hotel if I see any improvements the next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravellingLuv
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

very good service, nice buffet, incredible pool.. But little bit expensive.. And no free wifi in rooms the staff is friendly.. Close to scp shopping centre. . Overall is great but the no wifi in rooms kittle bit dissapointment

• Stayed December 2012
AstSamarinda, Manager at Aston Samarinda Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thanks for your feedback! I'm happy to tell you that we are in the process of installing WiFI and it should be ready by 2013!
UK
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Apart from the restaurant the rest of the hotel was okay. Mind you, their Wifi system is simply stupid....they are not alone in this, though, in Indonesia, where many hotels make it as inconvenient as possible to use Wifi.

Breakfast was okay. Dinner, horrific and grossly overpriced, simply the worst in my 21 years of visiting Indonesia. The man claiming to be restaurant manager was clueless. Too many things wrong to go into detail here, but if they fired the chef it would be a good start. Actually, firing all the restaurant staff might be an idea....none showed any enthusiasm for their work. Don't even think of buying beer here, the cost will reduce you to tears.

Room Tip: If you want a no-soking room, book in advance.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank oliveruk
Aston I, Manager at Aston Samarinda Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We take your comments to heart and will work on a plan for the f&b service standard and WiFi to improve it.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Herewith my experience during my biz trip to Samarinda (25 - 28 September 2012):

1. Hotel Location:
In central Samarinda, easy to find food and everything we need. Hotel has direct access from lobby lift going to 2nd Fl. if you want going to Samarinda Central Park (SCP) Mall, where I can find Pizza Hut, KFC, Giant - supermarket, Ramayana-supermarket, and Guardian-drug store and surrounding hotel I can find some restaurant or hacker foods.

2. Hotel Service:
Front Office: good service, they are working very quick for check-in around 5 mins. already in the room
The Room: the room suspicious, very clean, modern and minimalis furniture
Swimming Pool: indoor swimming pool at 12th Fl.
Breakfast: they have several of choice for food but they are to slow handling for coffee/tea, I must asking where I can find coffee or tea. Bad experience: The first morning, I must in the hurry going to site at Tenggarong, and asking the lady for several breads because no time to sitdown and enjoy the breakfast, she looks happy to help. But after some mins. waiting one man coming from the kitchen and inform me "sorry we are not allowed for packing the breads". Surprisessss....most of the hotel happy packing some breads for hotel guest, while the guest has no time for breakfast in the hotel. No idea this is Aston management rules or only the waitress are lazy for packing some of breads. Hope they will change their mind, because this hotel mostly is a transit hotel and crowded with guest who is coming for site visit, who has not so much time for breakfast.

Overall Aston Samarinda is recommended hotel compare to others.

Room Tip: Room with city view in 12th Fl. near with swimming pool and spa.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business