“Quite rundown”

Adika Hotel Bahtera
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Balikpapan
Reviewed February 8, 2014

On the way back from Bontang we stayed here for one night & it was not a very good experience. The place needs an overhaul. The room I was given (609) took almost full night to cool down. Breakfast spread was so-so & the work table was heavily infested with ants which went in my laptop & kept on coming out at any time. The good point about this place is it is very close to a mall, shopping & dining area. Parking is limited & reception area is with high ceiling. I knew this place since 1995 but stayed here for the 1st time & it will be also last time unless I get some positive comments from visitors who stay here from now onwards.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floor rooms unless you want to stay awake due to loud sound from the pub downstairs (SQ...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank InsightSuite

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is nice hotel good value for money, clean, good beds and lots of hot water.
restaurant not the greatest but lots of good restaurant close by. Close to shopping close to night clubs. Nice lobby lounge pool look great but I wasn't able to use as got back to hotel to late.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The facility itself is very outdated. Ex-

Very poor accomodation for the business traveler who works from the room a lot.

Only ether cable hook up so you must sit an uncomfortable side chair to be online.
Very awkward, uncomfortable work area for computer

Other than changing the sheets and wiping down the bathroom floor the room really doesnt get cleaned.
No rug vaccuuming
No dusting or wiping down of walls. IN my room someone smashed a bloody mosquito against a wall leaving a nasty smear. It was never touched by the cleaning crew,

THe restaurant is passable. I ate meals here quite a bit as the only other choices were fast food. SOme dishes were surprising good- even to a western palatte. They do a breakfast buffet that to me was pretty nasty, but that may be a cultural thing. I ate omelets every day. They have cereal containers- they just dont put cereal in them.

The power goes off continually. 6-8 times a day. Usually only for a few seconds.

The staff is really good here. English is strong and they really try to make you comfortable. The service will remind you of a much higher quality hotel. THe nice people who work here made this a much more pleasant experience than it might otherwise have been.

Room Tip: Get one on a low floor as they only have two elevators and they break down all the time.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights because my colleagues already booked this hotel. Even I am given no-smoking room but the smoke is still smelling in the room, may be they just hide the ashtray and name it :"non-smoking room"
The horrible thing is I was touching electric-shock when open the freezer, then I realized that water is drop from up, may be the ac hose is leak and water come out. In the morning I asked to move to other room and I go out for meeting some partners. When back in the afternoon, the receptionist did not understand and even not saying 'sorry' or other things... I pushed them to change my room, I paid 2 nights cash before.
I never plan to stay in this hotel anymore, it was horrible.

Room Tip: If no choice of other hotels, dont hope too much on this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Balik Papan was a fascinating provincial capital. It was clean, well maintained and orderly.

The Hotel was centrally located and well suited for the business traveler. The lobby area is spacious with high ceiling. In November the air in Balik Papan was rather still and humid. Arriving in mid afternoon, the lobby area was too warm for comfort. Luckily checking in was a breeze.

The room was rather run-down. I was quite happy with the bedding but the bathroom was a disappointment. Hoteliers should be experienced enough to replace worn down towels. The view from the hotel room was not fascinating although sea facing.

Breakfast at the cafe was just average. As with many hotels MSG was noticeable in almost all dishes. Beverages were served at the lobby lounge. Entertainment was provided by a four piece band. The presence of overly friendly ladies trying to catch your attentions was noticeable and the Hotel did not seem to have the desire to control. Service was average.

If you were game for Nasi Padang, there were many outlets. Starbucks and KFC were also within walking distance. We had the best fried duck rice while in Balik Papan. Ask the concierge for direction.

Internet connection was available in the lounge area.

Balikpapan is a growing city and there are many new hotels some of which have better facilities and more lively. This hotel is an average, tired hotel in need of a makeover and a dose of adrenalin.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LordOfKendal
Reviewed December 5, 2011

A perfectly pleasant stay. Excellent location. Beautiful service and facilities. Great rooms, quite large and very clean. The only thing was the disturbance of prayer at daybreak (actually 4 am) but the hotel cannot do much about it. I actually asked to be moved to the other side (seaview) and they gave me another room. Wonderful open-air swimming pool. the real drawback was actually the food served at lunch and dinner. Breakfast was fine, but the oher meals were quite a disappointment, probably because I am not used to this kind of food (being French). Yet, evrybody else (the locals) seemed to enjoy it... Lots of restaurants, fabulous seafood, by the seaside, 10 mn from the hotel. Wonderful service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank dtshura
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I find this hotel in a very strategic & convinient location since the biggest mal in Balikpapan (which is Balikpapan Plaza) is literally in front of this hotel. For me, I always put location as my number 1 criteria in finding hotels since I'm a female soli traveler and I only stay in Balikpapan just for one night in order my transit to Derawan Island the day after. I don't need to explore the city, I just want to find a decent meal nearby with cheap price & shop for small groceries for my next trip to Derawan. I can say that I've found anything I need in this plaza. So that I can't feel more happier finding this very strategic hotel with its location.
The cons of this hotel is the old building, old room, old furniture & old bathroom. But it's just alright & still decent for a night stay.
One thing that really dissapointment is that they actually DON'T provide airport shuttle for every hour but only for 12 am shuttle! I asked about that shuttle since I've read the previous review under me saying that there is an airport shuttle service every hour so that I expect to have that kind of service as well. But when the receptionist asked when is my flight and I answered that it will be on 12.20 am, she said that I won't make it to the airport with the 12 am-shuttle. When I asked is there a shuttle for 11 am, she answered that there IS ONLY ONE shuttler per day, which is departing on 12 am only. How ridiculous is that?
I don't know maybe the receptionist has demeaning me for being a young woman who usually don't really like to argue or debate.
So that in order to save my money for 50,000 rupiahs taxi fare to the airport (which actually I don't necesarrily spend for), I had to buy a KFC's cheapest package that only costs 15,000 rupiahs for my lunch (&dinner as well!). Sigh.,,,

• Stayed: February 2011