“Never Ever Again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Balikpapan
Nunukan Island, Maratua, Indonesia
“Never Ever Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Together with my wife i stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. As mentioned on the Website and in the booking machines there should be Wifi Internet in all the rooms. As we checked inn we specially ask that we need a room with Internet because we where on a business trip. After we get our room there was a signal but we can not connect to the Internet. We called to the lobby and the answer was sorry but the IT technician is already home we will check in the morning. Ok, we agree and at 8 in the morning we called again to reception. 5 minutes was the answer. after 3 hour's the answer was still 5 minutes sir. because we work as managing couple in a resort we really need the Internet so after we make a bit of terror we have to change the room. In the new room the Internet was working but only a couple of hours and the get broken again. Oh sorry Sir 5 minutes......hour's later still no Internet so we decide to check out and wants the money back for the nights we pay already. Then the staff turn to be unfriendly and after a bit of terror we have to change the room again. In this room the Internet was working as long as we stay. When we check out nobody say sorry or something.
So we stay 3 nights and sleep in 3 different rooms. At least the rooms are quite clean. Small but ok.
In the entrance there is written with big letters "15 minutes satisfaction guarantee" and in room Wifi all the time. Maybe IBIS should change to 15 days satisfaction guarantee and in room Wifi sometimes.
Actually we stayed at IBIS because we need a good quality hotel for guests coming to our Island. Before we always booked our guests to Grand Senyiur and there was never any complains. After what we see in IBIS we will book our customers again in Grand Senyiur or in the Novotel just next door. But for sure we will not recommend the IBIS.

Room Tip: Book at Novotel is just next door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank waefi
Ibis B, Hotel Manager at Ibis Balikpapan, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear sir,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing Ibis Balikpapan during your visit to Balikpapan. We beg your apology for the inconvenience situation and experience in our hotel due to the internet connection and the staff manner. As the guest satisfaction is our goal, we have taken an action to overcome the internet problem by adding some more WIFI antena in our hotel and also do the refresh training towards our employee. We hope that in the future you will stay again in our property and we assure you the inconvenience expereince will never happened again and we will serve you better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked 2 rooms for one week. The hotel is close to the city, room is quite small but it's okay, because we went out in the morning and came back at night. Sometimes the housekeeping forget to add free/compliment water bottles and tea/coffee/sugar. I had to ask them for these. The toilet and shower is good enough with hot water. The swimming pool is sharing with Novotel Hotel which located side by side. It has nice view. We stayed one week but we never see any Manager on Duty. The staff at front desk are not really friendly. On 26th of Dec, they already put down the big Christmas Tree and left only the very little one :-(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jantibeins
Ibis B, Manager at Ibis Balikpapan, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with Ibis Balikpapan and we are very sorry for some experience that you had was not met your expectation. Your comment is very useful for us as newly open hotel and we are keep trying to improve our service and facility to meet guest expectation and for your information that our Managers is wearing the red color uniform which is slightly almost the same as the staffs wear. Thank you very much for your concern and input and we are expecting to see you again here to give more better service and good experiences in Ibis.

Balikpapan, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Strength Points:

- Location: it is located at the downtown and public transport is easy to find, just need to walk about 3 minutes to the main road Jalan Jendral Sudirman. Since the hotel is not located at the main road, it's surrounding area quiet in the evening to allow you have a quality sleep.

- Bed room is new minimalist design, clean and looks modern. The bathroom has a unique design with curve wall, clean, and the hot&cool shower was running well.

- The Breakfast was delicious with various menu

- Gym room is at Novotel, beside ibis hotel (Novotel is managed by the same management with Ibis). The gym room is quite large and equipped with the modern cardiovascular and muscle building equipments.

Weak points:

- I called to the hotel reception in the morning to pick me up at the Sepinggan airport in the afternoon at 4:30 pm, but when I arrived at the arrival gate there was no one of their staff wait for me. Then I called to the hotel and the staff answered that they already sent a driver to pick me up and would check the driver position and call me back to inform it. After wait a view minutes she called me back and told me that the driver was still on the way to the airport and I need to wait.
After I wait for approximately 15 minutes the driver arrived and without say sorry just told me he late due to traffic jam.

- Laundry staff also failed to impress me. One morning I put my dirty clothes in laundry bag and fill the laundry form, and thick the box that indicate the laundry will collected in the morning and will return at 7 pm at the same day. But I would not return until 10 pm. I call the staff by phone then it return in a view minutes.

- Unfortunetely it happened again in the next day. Even when I call the staff at about 10 pm, no body answered and I had to get down to the receptionist to get my clothes return. What a service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ibis B, Manager at Ibis Balikpapan, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Henricus Raharjo,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Balikpapan. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Surabaya, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

its a minimalis hotel in the middle balikpapan city, near mall and easy to find food , suitable for business traveling, small room but comfort.
easy to get taxi and a safe place if you traveling alone

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank iwantono
Ibis B, Manager at Ibis Balikpapan, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Mr. Iwantono

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Balikpapan. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Room is good. Towel will be given after guest enter the room. No sandals. Closet is not clean. Room lamp is not ready because of stop contact (saklar) was broken. Room rate that has been made is higher than the published rate on the same date. Why?
When I cheked in, I have already booked two rooms + breakfast; but the receptionist told me that I booked room only, without breakfast. Total payment for 2 (two) rooms is higher than published rate. In that case, I must pay as noted in booked via website or as published rate? This case make us dissapointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ibis B, Manager at Ibis Balikpapan, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future