“Okay for business trips”

Grand Jatra Hotel Balikpapan
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Balikpapan
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Jatra Hotel is located at what is called the Balikpapan Superblock, which has a mall and various business offices within it's area. The hotel is reasonably new and close to the airport, an advantage over it's main competitors such as Le Grandure, Blue Sky and Novotel. The breakfast is okay, catering for Indonesian and expat tastes, however the lounge and lobby area has a very strong smell of cigarettes. The roof top Gym is well set up and I use it regularly when I stay at the Jatra. Rooms are reasonably spacious & clean with modern decor. One negative is the shower recess floor water drains do not work very well and frequently the water level can build up in the shower.

Room Tip: You must stipulate "No Smoking" and even after doing that when I have arrived I have been...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is my first time i stay in Grand Jatra hotel. i did choose this hotel because i tot this hotel is nice because this hotel just next to the shopping centre.

Checking in :
No bell boy to help us with our luggages. So we have to bring by ourself.

The room :
the room was big, but the beds are so tiny. Two small single beds. it is like they put 2 extra bed inside my room and They only provide 2 pillows.
Bathroom was so big either but no extra towel. Only 2 medium towel with a weird smell. I think they are not serious to maintained this hotel.

Breakfast :
Nothing special, only very basic breakfast.

I think this hotel is not 4 stars hotel. It is like 2 stars hotel. It is not worth it to stay in this hotel. Over value...
With same price we can get much much better hotel compare to this hotel. I will not stay in this hotel again. I better find another hotel. Very disappointed.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions, but the last time there was a band playing somewhere u could hear almost the whole hotel, played into the nite and i asked to be moved, which they did. Only to be serenaded at 4 am by a nearby mosque, other than that i like this hotel, food is ok but i havent had any good food in indonesia yet so nbd.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Me and my family stay here for 1 might, and we expect a 5 star services. But, we think they don't consider us as their 5 star guest.

The welcoming was average, the staff hospitality, especially on the breakfast room was poor, the buffet breakfast was awful, not expecting any of that from 5 star hotel.

The good things is, the location is great and the hotel is beautiful. But that's it.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I just stayed there 2 days ago and found this hotel a bit disturbing, especially by the staff attitude, The staff at reception are ignorant and unfriendly. I made a booking online few days prior my arrival, when I arrived at the hotel around 1pm and they said my room wasn't ready, so I decided to hang out at the mall next door, I came back to ask abt my room around 3.30pm and still they said they dont have a room for me yet, I ask them why and the reception stare at me with big eyes and said I'll call you when its ready, and then by the time I got my room its almost 5pm, they let me wait at the reception without offering me a welcome drink nor even ask to have a sit at the lobby. The room is big but nothing great, the shower is cold, when I complained, they had the engineer came but still didn't fix anything.
breakfast buffet is a mess..coffee is cold, very minimum food choice .. I wonder where did they get their 5 stars from.. :(

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Marini T
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend checked in at Grand Jatra Hotel at sunday, 20 April 2013 at 3 pm. We accepted with receptionist so friendly and helpfull (I forgot his name) we got room 938. After we unloaded our belongings we go to mall E-Walk beside this hotel and came back at our room around 4 pm... while we take a rest in our room we feel the air conditioning it's not cold just fan blow... so we called the engineering and they responed it's good 5mnt from we called. They checking the AC, cleaning and voila... it's started to work properly...
Then we start to try hotel facilities at 10 floor... the gym, it's a bit crowded equipment but the person in charge being generous to us because we can use the gym equipment with barefoot ^^ (should be using with shoes) and they got sauna room... like it. The swimming pool it's big enough and the jacuzi in the top floor have a comfortable temperature and a great view especially at sunset... ;) what makes the experience less the value it's because when we finish used the gym and swimming pool it's the same time with the mass in the hall dismissed... so we wait until 3 times for the lift to take us down to 9 floor while they have 3 lift. I think Grand Jatra Hotel must arrange witch lift for hotel guest so they not wait to long for the lift.
At night the same problem happened again... the AC not work properly... not cold at all.. it's started at 2am until 6 am.. so we called the engineering again. This time I ask them why AC not cold at all. The engineering (Mr. Fadli) said "
It's hotel policy that at night all the chiller AC being turn off and turn on again in the morning, for being eco hotel".
Whaaattt... that's hotel policy... the policy that made we sleep with sweat like in the sauna... it's so uncomfortable for us.. we don't like it.
And just like the day before after the engineering checking and voila it's start to cold again...
Unfortunately we only stay for one night so we checked out that morning.. At the receptionist while waiting for the checked out process I ask the receptionist (Melinda) about hotel policy for AC, but she said " there is no such hotel policy" so I told her about my conversation with the engineering this morning. So she checked again with the engineering but until I finished checked out there still no answer. They just said "sorry"...
We so disappointed with our first time experienced stayed at five star hotel Grand Jatra Hotel. If it's true that Grand Jatra Hotel have the policy to turn off the AC every night we definately will not stay at Grand Jatra Hotel because we don't want everyday we wake up with sweat from our sleep.
PS. Even the lift only feel fan blow not cold like there is no AC at all.

-silvia-
Samarinda, Indonesia

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Oktarina
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here two nights as part of a business trip.

Pros :
(1) Good Location
- Connected to e-Walk mall : The hotel is located in the small building as the mall. The mall is great and convenient for getting food and all. There is a Pizza Hut and Starbucks and a small Baskin Robins at the basement. Also a Matahari Department Store on the 3rd Floor. And there is also a cineplex on the top floor. Snap shot of the mall's front is attached
- Short Drive to the airport : Near the airport , it was only a 20minutes drive to the airport.

(2) Clean
Nothing spectacular. But the rooms were clean and again many times that is all you can ask for. Refer to attached photo

(3) Good Service
The service by the staff was prompt and polite.
- Housekeeping : They were prompt on the two occasions we called for additional pillows and then for another toile roll. There were up promptly and were all very polite
- Reception : Check-in and out was done promptly and with a smile

Cons :
(1) Horrible Wi-fi Signal
The wi-fi signal strength was really bad. The wi-fi network is an open network, no password or login required. The network strength was patchy throughout the day, swinging between weak to strong erratically. Could be due to the fact it was an open network and anyone could log in resulting in overall lousy signal strength

(2) Buffet Breakfast spread is basic
The spread is basic, filling but nothing inspriing.

The only real down side was the wi-fi signal, made it difficult to get work done at times as the signal strength was too weak to properly download your mails and graphic heavy sites do not load. But otherwise was a solid and well located property. Clean rooms , located next to a mall for food and amenities.

Will likely stay here again if on business in Balikpapan for the location

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business