“Still the same”
Review of Hotel Gran Senyiur

Hotel Gran Senyiur
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Balikpapan
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here again after a break of a number of years and not a lot has changed. The bedrooms are good and spacious, but the breakfast is not that great. It states that it is a five star hotel, but I think four stars would be a more correct rating. Went wandering around for the night club in the basement to find out it was under renovation after 20 minutes of searching!, yet none of the staff advised regarding this or was there any info in the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights on January 2014 and it was a very pleasant stay.

Spent most of my times in hotel by working in my room and lobby lounge. I tried almost all hotel facilities except gym and swimming pool.

Room is clean, and everything is working. Maintenance is good. Cleanliness is above average. In-room wifi is free and fast connection. I like mostly its wooden floor and huge window. I always leave the curtain opened at night so the morning sun might wake me up naturally. Both sides of the building offer good view, so you don't have to worry memorizing preferred room view.

Breakfast in ground floor restaurant offers various food. I like the way the hotel treat smokers like me by placing the tables unseparated with other tables. More waiters is needed, tough. Dishes has 5 stars quality, while amenities need a little bit upgrade. Overall, I don't mind spending 30-minutes more to read there after finishing breakfast.

Lobby lounge is my favourite place. Very good layout, very good service, and fair price. At daytime, lighting is just great, while at night time the dimmed light offers a luxurious sense to an extensive traveler like me.

The hotel has japanese restaurant and chinese restaurant in its ground floor. I tried them at lunch time in separated days, japanese is good while chinese needs more control in food quality. At night, please do visit top 7th floor for dining and complete it by visiting Sky Bar on 8th floor with incredble view.

Room Tip: All rooms offers good view in both sides of the premise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Gran Senyiur Hotel is the best Hotel of East Kalimantan, the service, personnel every body gave or try the best for make customers happy.
Well done.
The grill restaurant always fresh sea food,at 7 floor .
the jardin restaurant are the 2 most important in hotel, you have also japeneese and chineese restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jamestoy64
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The bar and nightclub is interesting. This is probably the best place to stay when working in Balikpapan. Grab a taxi out and he will take you to wherever you want to go and need. Plenty of expats around to keep good conversation all working in oil and gas.

Helpful staff and clean sheets, water is indonesian spec so you know what to expect. Power was on for most of the time I was there (over a month) As good as it gets

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We approached a Guest Services personnel, Grace, informed us that we could bring our own beverage to skybar without charges or only with a 'very' small additional charges. Then we happily bring our guest to Skybar at the evening, unfortunately the restaurant sound rude to us and strictly don't allow to have our beverage there. The situation is extremely embarrass and all of us felt insulted especially our guest just stand in front of us. In actual fact, we have stay in this hotel a row week and occupied almost 8 room, yet this is the service in return. Bad and lousy service.

1  Thank Fakedoll
Reviewed September 13, 2013

stay there for a business trip, everything just right.
well, we can put a high expectation for the hotels in balikpapan but this hotel give me a nice stay.
The location is a bit far from the main street.

Room Tip: get a room with openable window
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is far from five stars, it is old and run down and with far too many staff doing absolutely nothing. I tried the Skybar and didn't get waited on, I went to the Lobby Lounge and sat for over 30 minutes and the closest one of the waiters came to me was about 30 meters. I've eaten in the restaurant two mornings now and have yet to see a waitress or waiter stop to see if i wanted anything including coffee, Yes it is buffett but there is just no staff to be found, the juice dispensers are empty the plates that were supposed to have fruit on them are empty.
My room is infested with ants, it not really that pleasant when you go to brush your teeth and your toothbrush has at least twelve bugs crawling on it. I told them at the front desk and they smiled. I believe it might have been a language issue as i speak english and i don't many here do.
And one other unique thing is for some reason the toilet tissue holder is about 3 meters from the toilet, this makes it interesting unles you have 3 meter arms.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
1  Thank David M