“great hotel for my family”

Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Balikpapan
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed Aston Balikpapan with My family, the room was very clean and all equipment worked well, AC cool enough at all area / rooms and hot water at shower was also quite good, and the staff are helpful as well.
The location in the middle of the town and near from the airport and shopping center, so we can reach all area and the short time

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at Aston Balikpapan with my family. The room was very clean, hotel view was great, staff at front desk and restaurant were excellent. This is a great experience for me and my family. Thank Aston Balikpapan

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at Aston for a business trip. The hotel is quite nice, although it needs some improvements. I stayed at a standard room, and it was big enough for me alone. It is a condotel, so it felt like staying in a studio room apartment: you could find small dining table, a sofa, small kitchen with utensils and complimentary fruits. Since it is located next to the beach, my room view was the ocean. I'm also a big fan of its infinity pool where you could see the sea while you're swimming. There are also an english bar/pub and mini market on the ground floor so you know where to go when you need some drinks.

My biggest concern is just the poor service. I remembered it needs around 20-30 minutes just to check in. When you had a long and exhausted trip, that would easily ruin your mood. It also take such a long time to get taxi from the hotel, and the hotel staff was not that helpful. If I had to visit Balikpapan again, I might look for other alternatives.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank pwulantary
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in a two-bedroom suite with my husband and my 17-year-old son. The suite is clean. Though there are some holes on the carpet (I think) from cigarette butts. I like it that they provide a medium fridge, a pot/pan, a kitchen sink, some plates and cups/glasses. They even provide a water dispenser! But the rooms! They're very small! And the bathrooms are even smaller!! I've never seen hotel bathrooms this small!!
Service is okay, but the host of the restaurant were great! We came down to have dinner, and he asked us if we were interested in having traditional food served outside (around the pool).
Hotel's location is good, in the middle of the city and not too far from the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the ocean!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I love the room in aston hotel balikpapan. Small but simple and elegan, big bed, big sofa,big TV and also a small kitchen and toilet which is comfortable enough to stay. But just like the other hotel, the room service is takes time. Better enjoy eat someone else if u are really hungry than order the room service. The menu also limited and the taste is average. I love the scene of the pool during sunset. But the breakfast really need to develop.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Aston B, Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you liked the overall hotel. I have also requested our Chef to add more variety on our breakfast buffet at our coffee shop and quicken our room service delivery time.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The service is not bad but if I suppose to check in at 2 pm and when I came at 4 pm, they stil asked me to wait for another 40 minutes because they still checking the room that is unbelievable. Also, order food which took them almost an hour to deliver and that is not even hot. Get the Idea!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Raja Kamar
Aston B, Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I will bring this issue up to our team to ensure better service. We absolutely want you to have a smoother check in process and room service experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

It's a condotel and I stayed in 2 bedroom apartment. Offers nice view, especially from pool , it directly face the sea.

Only had problem with power supply in small room, which's not firmly attached to the wall, also the extra small pillow was terribly smelly.

Breakfast need to be improved for it poor taste, my fried rice tasted like from yesterday , maybe the rice used was not fresh, same thing with the sausage.

Elevator was not enough for group meeting coz there's only 2.

Plus point was service delivered promptly, like we need hair dryer etc. Frontdesk staff was also friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the good feedback. Our housekeeping team will check the rooms pillows and change any which may need it. Also, I just wanted to ensure you that the rice and sausage are made fresh everyday. Sometimes if the heating dish is too hot, and open, it can leave the food a bit dry. We will update our f&b team to ensure the temperature settings are better.