“It was good stay we would say.”
Review of Hotel Hilltop

and 1 more site!
Hotel Hilltop
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Gulmarg
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Food – Very nice restaurant with center heating to beat the cold (It was -26 degree Celsius the night we stayed) with varieties of food and we liked very much and honestly speaking we liked food everywhere in Kashmir. So I won’t say I liked food at one place and not a other. Anyway, hotel staff were very courtiers and disciplined.

Room – We were accommodated in room on 2nd floor and we were lucky to have awesome view from hotel room window. If we were in ground or 1st floor, we couldn't see through window because Snow were piled up out everywhere covering whole window. Room had center heating plus one extra room heater plugged to power point which was operational. We were very happy by all evening time and after we returned from restaurant after dinner around 11 PM, power supply were on backup and center heating got off and later during late night even backup was also gone leaving room heater stopped working anymore with not a single light in room and we had to light candle. Little later room temperature started decreasing and we felt very cold throughout night. We called to reception/service but no one picked the phone and we had to manage through cold that night. I don’t say it was deadly night but when I pay money to 3 star hotel at least I expect power backup 24 hrs caring less where is cold place to hot place. Though next day, we heard from local people that it was coldest night during that month. Anyway, we didn't see any further bad experience during our stay in hotel.

Staff – All staffs were very nice and soft spoken and they were prompt in servicing any request we placed. Hotel front desk/reception folks were nice and could speak English. Though we talked everywhere in Hindi so our job was getting done easily. But if you don’t know Hindi and Kashmiri, you may have some difficulties in everything because it’s communication that makes the thing or breaks the thing.

Nearby place – Gulmarg Gandola is 5 minutes’ walk from this hotel. We enjoyed the ride. Since its snowed everywhere, we had not much choice to walk but to stay at hotel and walk nearby. There are so many guides who tried to hack my pleased walk with my wife and I kept ignoring them. Anyway we didn't like that much disturbance though they also need money from their livelihood.

Room Tip: Gulmarg is always a cold place whether this is summer or winter. If you like good view, ask for room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently booked 6 nights at Hotell Hilltop last week (Feb 2-8) to ski.
The first night was ok, after that everything went down hill to hell from there.
The front desk was so chaotic no one speak English well enough to communicate in regarding transportation, where to rent the ski, where to go around town.
We were waited and waited 1hour before checked-in even thought we were reserved online.
we were wasted haft day to checked-out.

The hotel's breakfast were terrible and was not sanitation
The room were awful, electric on and off all day and everyday, so the room was cold most of the time, the floor was dirty, dusty, I got sick stayed in the room, room services were awful they only clean when we asked, people smoke in the hotel, the ambience was awful, we heard people yelling through these walls every night
Furthermore, the bed-sheet were filthy.
So by the 4 nights we walked up to the Khyber 5 stars hotel for breakfast and then dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wanita t
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel for 2N/3D from April 17 to 18, 2012 in my tour to Kashmir.

Outlook: It was in bad shape, entry to the hotel was really dirty and not the one I was expecting. They have made it so dirty and so much of garbage (seems kitchen and toiletries) is lying here and there near to the entrance to the hotel, which gave it more bad shape for tourists.

Room: Rooms are good with a nice view, though you will not get hot water throughout the day like other hotels of same quality. We were told that it is available for a limited period of time in the morning and evening but it was only available in the morning only. Bathrooms are decent, however, with leakage from taps and so on... I have told the housekeeping about the same, they said let it be. Towels put in the bathroom was also not clean, I asked them to change and they did, still the new one were also not really clean enough.

Food: One work which can describe it best - "Awful". Starting from breakfast to dinner, I didn't have such bad food throughout my trip. Whatever you may eat, it is of no taste and top of it they repeated the same menu in dinner both days, when I asked about the same, they said Tour Company (Heena tours) which has taken many rooms want the same menu to be repeated.

Construction and Carpet work was also on, which is making it more worst. I think I have written quite much to describe what I felt during my stay.

Overall this was a bad experience in overall trip to Kashmir.

No doubt hotel is at good location, what is required is better management.

Room Tip: Aviod and if no choise then Front Side Rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The rooms are well heated in the chilling winters. Warm enough in the Minus 11 Celsius outside temperature. The staff is good & the response to service demand is quite appreciable. Food is average. The view from the right corner side rooms is amazing during the night.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and quieter. The one's with round windows.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are family of 5 on vacation to Kashmir during winters through Make My Trip, I was little worried for my childrens as Gulmarg was full of snow but all over experience was good, Heating was nice compared to other hotels, Freindly staff and we all had a very nice vacation. Thank you all :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Haider2121
Reviewed January 22, 2013

It was my first trip to gulmarg, and it is one of the most beautiful place in worh. Hotel is located in center of vally is a place to enjoy amazing views.

It is in waking distance from trolly, skating rink, skiying and other places of intrest,

I would recommend it to everyone who visits gulmarg

Room Tip: landscape facing room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manish78
Reviewed January 22, 2013

To be honest this review is a bit delayed. However my stay at Hilltop was so amazing that I really had to write this review. From the moment we arrived at the hotel, the manager in charge (Mr. Malik) made sure we had nothing to complain about and went out of his way to give us great service. The hotel staff was very helpful as well. Throughout Kashmir where we experienced problems with the heating of the rooms and hot water, Hilltop managed to provide us with those facilities (least expected as it is so cut off from bigger cities). The location of the hotel is great as it it is a mere 2 minute walk from the gondola.
Overall I would definitely come back and stay at the hotel and would recommend everyone the same,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends