“International, semi-culinary, but definitely not Art”
Review of ICA

ICA
Ranked #59 of 617 Restaurants in Nanning
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been working with a group of Germans plus one Austrian at the border of Vietnam for the past month, so we were really looking forward to having a nice decent beer with some familiar food after such a long time. All of us had read the reviews on the internet already, so we were prepared NOT to order the Schweinshaxe nor the steak. We had Jäger Schnitzel (48 RMB), the sausage platter (I forgot the price... 69!? RMB) and the Viennese Schnitzel (48 RMB). The description of our disappointment would also come in that order.
The Jäger Schnitzel could almost be vegetarian since the cut was so dry that it could have been mistaken for wood. The Käsespätzle could have been good, except that there was no Käse on it, and I had to ask (and wait for a very long time) to get some more sauce to put on it.
The sausages were a bit over cooked, but since having some is better than none, all three who ordered it finished it. It should have been served with Sauerkraut, but shredded cabbages was there as an alternative.
The Viennese Schnitzel was very disappointing. It was quite sad, actually, especially when it was served with frozen fries. A great part of German cuisine is the amazing things they do with potatoes, and this was just... awful. There are potatoes in China. There are easy recipes on the internet. It is not that hard to fry a few potatoes!!!
In general, all the proportions were quite small, and when you consider the price, it seems even tinier.
Perhaps the impression of the food could have been improved if we had gotten a bit more beer to wash it down, but sadly the waiters needed 20 minutes, three reminders, and a personal trip to the bar in order to deliver our second beer.... which leads me to the service. Just a quick note here-Mandarin is my mother-tongue and when we ordered or requested anything, I did it in Mandarin. So the troubles we encountered were not due to miss-communication. But I digress....anyway, there is one waitress who can take orders and serve properly. She knew how to pour a Hefeweizen, complete with rolling the can at the very end to get the foam. If all service staff were trained like her, the dining experience could have been much better. But the rest were not as competent, especially the guy who failed to deliver our order of second beers (we told them in the end, after waiting for so long, that they could have sold us three beers each instead of two beers to only two people in the end, but since they took so long, it was their loss) and could not even lay the forks and knives on our table. He dropped the silverware so at one point I just took the whole tray from him and handed out the everything myself, since I was not keen on being showered with utensils.
I suppose the only great thing was the draft beer (Hofbräu Helles for 38 RMB) and that the cappuccino was properly made (one of us knew how to brew coffee well so he ended up supervising at the bar). The decoration was nice (amazingly clean toilets! Yay!!!!) and it would be nice to see this restaurant to continue to be a place where people hungry for European food to patron, but really, the owner/chef needs a invest a bit more into the food and training.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I moved to Nanning about 6 weeks ago from Shanghai, and have had a really tough time finding food that I like. Fortunately, ICA exists, and Peter is an amazing chet who is unwilling to compromise on the quality of his ingredients. ICA isn't cheap by any means, but if you want cuisine in Nanning, you need to be prepared to pay for it (e.g. the street food near my apartment costs close to y100 per head).

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have been there before with a group of people and came last Sunday again, with a group of friends. This airy and vast establishment has an elaborate, high gloss menu with dishes pictured which look exceptionally tempting to try.

- and because they are highly priced (overpriced) I ordered the shown Pork Knuckle (SchweinsHaxe in German ) but what I got after just 15 minutes was a disgrace of gigantic proportions. Overcooked, hard as nails and with just a smidgen of edible meat. You would need a hack saw to attack this miserable dark piece. I know what I am taking about as I have sampled many '' real '' Haxn in Munich proper and I am also a Chef.

- when I saw this piece I immediately ordered a second dish called '' Jaegerschnitzel '' which is in English Hunters Steak. This was just passable and because I was hungry it had to do.

- in Bavarian terms a real '' Haxn '' (Pork Knuckle) is traditionally served with Sauerkraut and sometimes also with potatoes. This so-called '' Haxn '' I had ordered to put into a take away bag and when home I fed it to our dogs.....

Price: RMB 165.-

- our other friends had various dishes, nothing to get exited about and there were also Sausages ordered which were fatty, overly fried and a disgrace.

P.S.
However, their HB imported draft beer was good and maybe worth RMB 38.- what they were asking for it.

Please Note: we shall never, ever patronise this overpriced establishmant again as there are many other nearby at the Admiral City Centre

1  Thank chicoboyBrisbane
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Dinned here at the weekend and had no problems getting seated, service was good, menu plentiful, reasonable selection of beers, but... Food was a little bland for me. I had steak which was more grey than the nice red/brown I would have expected, it was not veal before you ask, and lacked any real flavour.

But the big issue for me was that they don't accept any western credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard or Amex (well who does) A western restaurant, run by a western guy and does not support the customers he's no doubt attracting. When we asked about it, was told by the owner this is a general problem in China. Hmmm, maybe it's an issue with the bank being used because the Marriott and Starbucks a few hundred meters away both take Western credit cards.

1  Thank Carl M
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The restaurant is located in an outside food court. Coming from the main road you will have excess through the Admiral City Mall. We only had a beer there as the restaurant does not offer any vegetarian main dishes which is definitely not common for a Bavarian restaurant (the Paulaner chain offers a variety of nice vegetarian dishes). The beer selection is good although 33 % of the beers were out of stock the time we were there. As a matter of course, this can always happen with import products but the big minus of the restaurant are the prices. Compared to the Oktober Fest in Munich (the most expensive place to have a beer in the most expensive city in Germany) the "Zur Eiche" is still expensive! There are hundreds of German restaurants all over China and this is by far the most overpriced place I have ever seen. Due to this fact I cannot recommend the "Zur Eiche" and will not go there again.

2  Thank Dominik P