“Great location, not so good food”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The lodge is in a fantastic location with stunning views. It is an impressive hotel. What is less impressive is the food. The restaurant has no ambience, and the food is not so good. There also seems to be a problem with the plumbing. All night long the pipes in the wall of our room were clanging, and the doors are thin so any noise in the hall carries. This could be a four or even five star place with better management. And why can't you put drinks on your room tab?

Room Tip: We had room 61, and it was noisy all night long.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Wildlife Lodge in August 2012 - it was our first night of a 9 day safari with EastCo (fantastic company!). The lodge is sat right on the crater rim, with the benefit of spectacular views across the crater - particularly at dawn.
The rooms are well furnished and with hot water and mains electricity (except through the night). The food was served buffet-style in the restaurant and had a wide range so there should be something for everyone.
The downsides are that it is very busy (but it was peak season) and also noisy. We had a room on the ground floor, and whenever someone flushed a toilet the pressure-hammer in the pipes sounded like a gunshot!

We were lucky enough to see hyenas walking through the lodge grounds from the balcony, and the setting really is breathtaking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

To put it simply - this place is not good.

Pros
- the view

Cons
- everything else! (seriously)
- buffet dinner and breakfast weren't good quality; to be honest we had better food on Kilimanjaro than we did here
- the hotel was freezing and it took a lot of effort to get an extra blanket
- we didn't want anything to drink with dinner and the waitress said she'd bring us water - she then charged us $3 for it
- the staff were blah

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The incredible view of the Ngorongoro Crater is absolutely spectacular, and in my view, it's worth visiting this lodge for that experience alone!

Despite that, I'm not sure I'd want to stay for more than a night though. There's nothing wrong with the hotel, the food was nice and the staff were friendly. The rooms were pleasant and clean and though the electricity shuts down at night, I don't think we even noticed it.

The only thing that would put me off staying at this hotel for longer is that it doesn't have that personal feel that a smaller hotel would have, and although there's clearly been a lot of effort put into decorating it (it's beautifully decorated with lots of unusual details) and a big roaring fire to sit around in the center of the lounge, it somehow doesn't (for me) have the atmospheric feeling that it should have given the effort that has been put into it.

BUT I have to stress that I was ill when we stayed here, so my judgement would have been somewhat clouded by that.

When we stayed, you couldn't put drinks from the bar on a tab to pay with your room bill when you left, so you need to take some cash with you if you want to have a few gin and tonics!

This is definitely a place where you will need to have a warm jumper. The hotel itself isn't cold, but if you want to sit on the terrace and look at the crater, it does get a bit chilly.

The rooms are situated along long, darkish corridors and down a couple of flights of stairs. I don't remember seeing a lift, so this might not be the best place to stay if you have limited mobility.

I think that if I went back to this area, I would probably look for a smaller lodge to stay in, but would definitely want to visit this one again, even if it was just to have lunch, because the view from the lounge is absolutely stunning!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a view of the crater, but definately ask for one with a view in case I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jakaz
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Kind on line with the other reviews, this lodge has a fantastic view of the Ngorongoro Crater. The rooms are confortable and the food without being excellent is fairly good. The electrrater.icity like most lodges on this area, is shut down at 12 PM until about 6 AM. Although they say that they have internet, this is not the case. I asked about it and they said that they did not know when they would have it working again. The staff are for the most part very friendly, but very slow with service. Overall, an average property with unmatched views of the c

Room Tip: Ask for it when booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Generally I don't have complains about this lodge. The observing corridor is great and I took many nice photos there. Food is good and there were performance in the dinner time. The lodge was packed when I was there and the waiter were too busy to forget my drinks twice, anyway it's acceptable.

If I go back and stop by Ngorongoro, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed for a night during over group trip in Sep 2012....if we leave aside the location, there is not much to be boast of this property. Chaotic check in, far away n scary rooms, electricity problem, poor service. Restaurant was good especially their open area facing crater. Food was ok. Have not checked more lodges in the area but if given a better option, would definitely want to skip check-in. USP of the lodge is that it is strategically located on the rim of the crater which allows you to have a great view of the landscape. SKIP if u have a better OPTION!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends