All reviews outdoor shower the cottages elephant cave bush babies coffee plantation cow milking bread making ngorongoro crater vegetable garden local choir coffee beans gift shop soaking tub two nights sitting area the main house fruits and vegetables
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed at Gibbs Farm for 2 nights on our honeymoon. Initially, I was skeptical as we had just come from modern paradise at the Banyan Tree in the Seychelles. After a few hours there, my worries subsided. We had the most beautiful view from the main dining area; it looked like Napa. The service was exceptional! Really the best we had on the whole honeymoon. The food was very good and the people were so kind. There were tons of activities and lots to do there. My only complaint was it was a bit of haul from the crater. 25-30 minutes to the entrance but then another 40 minutes or so from the main gate to the crater. All in all, it took about an hour and half to get to heart of the crater. Other than that, wonderful place!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy R
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Spent two nights and we were very, very happy. Most hospitable staff of the trip and that was a high bar to beat. Our 15 year old had a 24 hour bug, so this was a great place for him to sleep and recover. The staff was very attentive and waived charges for room service. Probably close to 40 guests there during our stay, but we were called by our names. On night two, when the in-room fire place smoked up the room, the staff graciously moved us to another room for the six hours before our departure. Thanks to them, we still got a good night's sleep. We stayed in the two bedroom library which was the most remote room on the property. It had not been renovated (looked like some of the rooms had already gotten upgraded), and it was a long walk to the main house. We were advised to leave all windows closed due to mosquitoes, yet I wondered if we could have left them open had screens been in place? If i had it to do over, i would have decided to take two separate rooms next to the main house. My wife/daughter did the Tloma walk and visited a school. You should expect to provide a donation to the school if you visit (and, you will see why they need money), and then daughter and I did the walk to the elephant caves. Both enjoyable with your Gibbs Farm employee leading the way. My only negative was the lobby area hosted an art show on night two. I didn't want to hear, learn or buy anything, and I felt a little pressure to go along. However, when I stated "thanks, but I am not interested, as i am simply hear to chill", I didn't feel any other push to join in. Most guests are American, and the owners are now a Boston company with multiple travel interestesin Africa. Loved it totally!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We spent two nights at Gibbs Farm while visiting the Ngorongoro Crater. It was beautifully lush and tropical. We had the "Grass" suite, large and private...with terrace, sitting area, fireplace, indoor and outdoor showers, and two queen beds. The food was very good...and service was excellent. Although our friends heard the sounds of avocados (maybe bush babies?) hitting the roof above their room, we did not. Visit Charles Bies shop down the road. He is a Maconde woodcarver who will explain his work and give a demonstration. Lots to do at the farm itself, but we were kept busy with our guides. Not sure of the value because it was included in the overall price of our safari.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I spent 2 nights at Gibb's Farm at the end of a Serengeti Safari. I was fatigued, dusty-dirty and tired of the food at the moble camp I had stayed at in the park. Gibb's Farm was the answer to my prayers. My cottage, Ngorongoro, was so charmingly decorated, peaceful and comfortable I couldn't believe it. Our dinner was excellent and the service terrific. I would love to have a small cabin just like the one I stayed in at Gibb's Farm. The lush gardens and surrounding valley only heighten the romance and beauty of the location. A most unique and beautiful hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Gibb's Farm is an excellent place to stay for one / two nights in the area. It is on a stuning coffee plantation which also grows much of the vegetables and fruit for your food at lunch / dinner. It is worth getting a tour of the vegetable gardens and plantation - when we had our tour a large bull elephant came to the fence adjoining the site to the local wild forest, the largest elephant we saw during our trip which was pretty amazing.

The food at lunchtime is excellent - served buffet style, with fresh salads, quiches, other hot choices and good desserts. Our dinner experience was ok - although a little over complicated which seemed to let the kitchen down a ltitle.

Room was great - very comfortable, private and spacious. Showers were awesome and a fire is lit for you in the evening.

There are events laid on for everyone - bushbaby eating times, cow milking, nature talks and others.

Very well done - slightly "American" in its style, hence the large number of Americans staying here.

Recommended.