“Lovely location, service is questionable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Farm House, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps
Santa Rosa, California
“Lovely location, service is questionable”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here. We arrived after dark and were lead down VERY dark paths to the room.. I then had to find my way in the dark back up a very steep path to the dining room and try not to step in unmarked wet cement! I requested a wake up call for a very early game drive and it never came. Luckily I work up with 5 minutes to dress and run up the hill for the game drive. If I had missed the opportunity for a day in Ngorongoro Crater, I would have been VERY upset. I later found out several others did not receive wake up calls either. As most everyone is there to go to the crater and typically leave very early, this is a big problem. Beware!
The rooms are extremely large and well decorated and maintained, as are the baths. The grounds are truly lovely and the food was fine and abundant. Be aware that the rooms are spread out around the property and you might have quite a long and steep walk to your room. It is very dark and easy to get lost. The person in the room adjacent to mine had a problem of a bat in her room and it took some doing to get it out. They have a pool that looked nice, but I never had time to utilize it.

Room Tip: Rooms are spread out over a large area, many room as a long steep walk from the dining room and fron...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lets just start by saying everything you eat at the Farmhouse is grown there. Is that the freshest food ever? Our large bungalow was amazing. A sitting area, 3 large beds with netting of course, hot showers, and delicious food. A veranda with seating overlooking the grounds. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our first ever night in Tanzania. We were already psychotically excited after a long drive from Lake Manyara. We were welcomed into the Farm House with open arms. The giant room we had was wonderful, secluded, and kitted out with everything we needed. We had a couple of fabulous meals, and went on a superb tour of the farm. I didn't think it could be topped, but on the way back after our safari we jumped in their pool - this moment was a major highlight of the trip.

Don't tell them, but the coffee is a bit crap. Apart from that, it is 10/10 for everything.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FasterCyrusKillKill
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The accommodation here is sensational - massive rooms, beautifully furnished. While looks private the rooms are a bit nosy in that you can here the people next to you. That aside the meals were great and we were very looked after. Wonderful

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 62Cath
London
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on safari, it is in an excellent position for the ngorongoro crater!

Rooms - Massive ! a king size bed and another single bed, fireplace, sofas, terrace, double bath and huge shower. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was amazing especially after a long day. the terrace overlooks a field where we spotted various field animals and the farmhouse itself boast a huge array of birds, was very comfortable to sit and relax.
The only down side to the rooms were they were about a 5 minute walk from the restaurant, but after a meal you don't mind the stroll.

Food - I thought the food was great, lunches were served to you, all very tasty stuff, in the evenings it was a buffet but again I thought all very tasty - soup/salad to start / various dishes for mains / and cake, fruit or cheese for dessert. Free tea and coffee all day too.
Breakfast was your usual continental, some bits for a fry up and an egg station.
If you need to take lunch with you, they have a station in the morning where you choose your fillings for a sandwich, and they had keesh, cakes and fruit to pack too! i thought it was a great touch being able to pick my own sandwich and filling.

Considering the poverty outside the walls, I felt like I ate like a king in comparison.

Service was good and I thought the staff were friendly enough, they certainly wasn't as attentive as the previous lodge we stayed at which only had 6 people dining, but we liked that we was left to our own devices.

I would recommend this place to others, I thought it was a great stay and the location to the crater is fantastic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rushy2020
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Great location just minutes from the park entrance to Ngorogoro Crater. Built around a coffee plantation with nice views. Has swimming pool and massage facility. Good South African wine list. The rooms are large and comfortable with gorgeous views overlooking rolling hills reminiscent of Tuscany. Good location for visiting nearby Lake Manyara.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HarryTindall
Holland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A very nice hotel with an excellent kitchen. The Farm House is in a real quiet place and the houses are clean. We were with friends and we had rooms next to each other. During the night there are guards so you feel realy safe.
My wife and me took a massage and it was very dissapointing. If you like a massage and you are used to the Asian masages, you must skip this one. They only rub a little and it is really nothing.
I paid $ 80 totally for one hour and a half hour and it was really nothing.
Later during my holliday I tried it once more somewhere else but it was the same. The African massages are a dissapointment.

Room Tip: Our room was on the outside of the facility and we had a nice vieuw over the farmland.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 42 in Lake Manyara National Park
Gibb's Farm
Gibb's Farm
#1 of 48 in Karatu

Been to Ngorongoro Farm House, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps? Share your experiences!