“Not Disappointed”
Review of Masek Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Masek Tented Camp
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The wife and I enjoyed three great nights at Lake Masek Tented Camp while on safari in the Ndutu area. We had the Pimbi Tent one of the closest to the main lodge. I think the first night we were the only guests. Our tent was very comfortable, had plenty of hot water, and nearby habitat supporting a diverse bird community. It was great to walk around the lodge area and watch for birds. Our list there included purple grenadier, silverbird, black-faced waxbill, Diederik cuckoo and red-cheeked cordon-bleu. At night besides the nearby hippos we also heard hyena and lion. Staff could not have been any more accommodating. We enjoyed sitting on the deck watching the sunset, listening to spurfowl, munching nuts and sipping drinks. Food was okay. Maybe due to the low occupancy it seemed we had lots of leftovers and no special meals like May of 2011 when a stir-fry buffet was provided as an example. Breakfast was great with excellent variety of juices, cereals, meats, and of course crepes and eggs fixed as one desired. The Internet was available and relatively prompt. All beverages were included in our package (except mixed drinks and certain wines). Will mentioned the glass (balloon) used when I asked for a red Merlot was practically a small fish bowl requiring both hands to handle! The Camp no longer offers laundry service. We enjoyed being able to dine with Nicholas our guide. Although the surrounding areas were still a bit on the dry side, we had no problem finding game and diverse at that. And, the tsetse flies were not the nuisance they were a year ago.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wegoustay

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'm not one to give 5 stars for many things, so this must have impressed me. I love tented camps and they don't need to be fancy - usually location makes it for me, but I asked for this camp as something different to one of the lodges in the area that I also used and for a splurge. It did not disappoint - in fact, I wish I had used it for both Ndutu nights.

It was a quiet evening with only 3 tables in use. The location is beautiful with the lake close by. Buildings keep a low profile to blend into the area, though I suspect the green would be more obvious in the dry season. Everything was well maintained and thought of.

The manager of the camp sat down with me and reviewed what was at the camp, in the tents and if I had any special needs. I requested a tent a little further away and I had "Mambo". It was set back from the front line so there was a tent in front of me, but it had beautiful sunset and sunrise views and still a good view of the lake. The light at that time of year is wonderful early morning. We also discussed wheat allergies for me and vegetarian options for my driver. These were easily accommodated. I was escorted to my very luxe tent. Large kingsize beds with plenty of pillows. I appreciated this as I had a shoulder injury and sleeping was challenging. Comfort and pillows for props worked well. The bathroom is large with double sinks; hairdryers at determined times and 24/7 light and hot water. To top it off, there was a bathtub! A real 2 person deep bathtub! I had been thinking of this the last hour into camp and I tried to quell my conscience about all the water I used, but again - shoulder injury on safari, is not an easy trip. I spent a month volunteering sticking to navy cold water showers, just to make up for this tub use. There was ample hot water and it helped a lot. the outside shower could be a little nippy at night when the temperature drops, but the extra big and plush towels warm you up fast. One thing that would be nice is to be able to easily open the canvas drapes by the tub in order to see the stars while relaxing.

There was room service and free beer or wine. I requested a cold beer and it was delivered promptly - and cold! The screened porch is large and comfortable for a private sundowner and time for reflexion.

Service was good as was the food, except the wine was pretty bad. It is served in very large balloon glasses - about 10 ounces at a pour, but most of it was left. Not worth drinking. Breakfast buffet was suffice. I'm sure limited due to lack of clients. The meal was staggered to when people were leaving and they covered everything with cloths as there are some persistent sparrows and starlings that find their way into the area to feast on any food left uncovered. Two staff spent the time we ate shooing off the birds and keeping us entertained. As mentioned, guides can dine with their guests. Adequate options were provided for box lunches.

As this was just an overnight visit (sadly) I did not use all the facilities or options available. They had been offering walking safaris from the camp but this has been curtailed for the time being.

Well worth the splurge and worth more than one night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Quiltingmamma
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent two nights here the first week of April as part of a safari with Real Adventures. It was definitely the nicest accommodation we had, the tents are beautiful and love the outdoor shower. Sitting on the screened in porch and listening to the hippos was so relaxing.
The buffets were very good and beer and wine were included which was a nice surprise. You get to make your own box lunch which helps cut down on waste I hope. We actually separated the food we did not eat into one of the boxes and would hand it off to the Masai kids along the way. You are escorted to and from your tent at night because of the hippos. The staff was always on top of things, a few were maybe a little over zealous but hey, can that really be a complaint?
The internet did cut out a few times and was a little slow but at least they had it, and two computers you could use if you did not bring your own. There was no charge to use them. We did not have any issues with power, but did not use a hair dryer either.
Our driver told us this camp (and a few others) are owned (maybe partially not sure) by a former safari guide. So this was the only place our guide got to eat with us. That was nice as it’s more of a get to know you thing than you have in the truck.
We saw so many animals on excursions from here; lions and cheetas everywhere. I liked the flamingos and got some great photos of them as well. No leopards but they seem to hide from me. I could have easily stayed here a few more days. Of course the lines of wildebeest and zebra were fantastic. We were lucky they were still around and the rains did not start until the last day of our safari.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rwethere
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Wow! This place rocks! This about the 15th or 20th tent camp we have stayed at in Africa, including South Africa. It is now our favorite. First one we've ever been to where the drinks (except hard booze) are free, including the bottled water. It is run by the Masai and elder chief "Willie" is the perfect host. The tents are truly "luxury" with triple mosquito protection (because of the lake). a great veranda in front of your tent and large bathtubs Veronica runs the kitchen and she is a "princess" that can make a mean soup. Every day was different and never was an item served that wasn't a class act. We had our own driver from Leopard Tours so we spent a lot of time here. We could have stayed a week. It's not far from the high tourist Ngorogoro Crater but you would think you were in another world. The price is extremely fair for what you get and they even have a great satellite WiFi setup and a special battery charging center. You will never find a tent camp better than this!

Room Tip: Yes, they have to walk you with a Masai guard at night, especially when you realize the hippos walk...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank garycw
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We splurged for this and weren't disappointed. The location is gorgeous and are truly in the wilderness. The sound of the hippos grunting in the nearby lake was fantastic. The accomodations were perfection and the food was nice--everyone took great pride in their work.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan S
Reviewed March 31, 2012

What an amazing camp. The tents were so luxurious we didn't want to leave. Very comfortable and very well looked after. A lovely bath to lie in with a large glass of wine! The food was great and all drink included which made a nice change. We woke in the morning to a small gathering of wildebeast outside our room which was very exciting! The view over the lake was wonderful and we were in a great position to continue our safari in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnMarie P
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We arrived at Lake Masek Tented Camp after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and we could not have asked for a better experience! This was my favorite place by far. The camp was amazing. Our room was perfect, a huge bed (incredibly comfortable) with an ensuite bathroom and an outdoor shower. You were right by Lake Masek and you could hear all sorts of animals in the evening. We saw giraffe walking around the camp and at night you had to be escorted back to your tent by a Masai guard. The bathroom was joined with the bedroom so there was not a lot of privacy but we made it work with no problems. I loved the outdoor shower!

The staff was so friendly, Michael - the manager, greeted us upon arrival and showed us around. The cook (Veronica) was amazing and it was nice to have buffet meals so you could go whenever you wanted. They had free internet and they also charged your camera battery each day. It was a great location for game viewing and you were also close enough to the Olduvai Gorge (which we visited the last day). This lodge was a place where they didn't try to nickle and dime you for everything. Our guide was concerned that we were not going to get lunch on the day we transferred to Ngorongoro Crater so he asked the camp for box lunches for us. They had no problem doing that for no charge (in comparison to our experience at Plantation Lodge).

We were met at the airstrip by our driver, Frederick, from KIBO guides. This was a very pleasant surprise because we expected to be in shared camp vehicles. Instead, we had Frederick to ourselves the whole time! He was incredibly knowledgeable about the animals and his command of the English language was excellent. We really enjoyed our safari with him and it was nice to have the flexibility of a driver to ourselves. By the third day, we were a little tired of safari driving, so Frederick took us through the plains and to the Olduvai Gorge. Very interesting.

Overall, incredible experierence and by far my favorite lodging!

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the lake and about mid-way from the lodge.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple