The Octagon Safari Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
See available hotels
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
  • Restaurant
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge(Lake Manyara National Park)
All reviewsfrench pressngorongoro cratervegetariansafaritanzanialodge
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I stayd in Octagon Lodge recently for 1 night after being at the beautifull Ngorongoro Crater. It's about 1 hours drive from the crater and just at the outside of a little African town.
I would like to start by saying that the staff were absolutely wonder full, really friendly and very attentive. What I am about to write does in no way reflect on them, they did their very best to make us feel very welcome. The lodge itself we weren't impressed with. When on safari I think it's part of the experience to stay way out bush, this was part of a town and you could hear music from a nearby bar or something. Of course, location is a personal preference, but to me safari is partly about falling asleep listening to the sounds of the African plains, not a nextdoor bar. Room itself was basic, to say the least. On pulling back bedcovers found the sheet only covered 2/3 and the remaining 3rd was an uncovered dirty foam mattress. We don't need luxery, just basic needs, like a full lenght sheet. Bathroom facilities were even more basic. Toilet and shower looked as if it was left over from pre first WW, not very appetising to look at to say the least. It may sound as I'm a moaning minnie, but I loved every other accomodation on our 11 day safari + other 2 safaris we've been on, we prefer tented accomodations, so it's not that I like fancy accomodation, but to us this was completely out of character with the usual experince you expect when being on safari. The diningarea and food was nice, but overall we both think that Octagon Lodge is unacceptable accomodation in all other aspects. Sorry to say, but we'd never stay there ever again. Hope my review hasn't upset all the other folks above who seem to adore the place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Zoe_8
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My two days stay at The Logde, has left a bit of my heart behind at the place and I will never forget the kindness and hospitality shown from the hotelmanagers. The beauty and tranquility of the place is forever branded in my memory. I have to come back some day soon and enjoy their fabulous coffee and chocolate truffles :o)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank jeppepeppe
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Our stay ended too quickly. 4 days and 3 nights was not enough to be surrounded with lovely individual chalets, beautifully manicured gardens, and most attractive eating area and unusual bar/lounge area for relaxation and libations. Each breakfast and dinner were prepared and presented in such a way that were always delicious and plentiful. All the cooking was homemade and served by the help with such grace.
Everyone was eager to be of assistance if needed and were knowledgeable about the various sights to visit. Even after each day of safaris as we got out of our Land Cruiser we would be welcomed back with a warm wet towel to cleanse our hands and a cool refreshing drink of fruit juice. The owners, Rory and Pamela made us feel so welcomed and we thank them for such a genuine friendship which was shown the first night we arrived until the very last minute of our stay. We would stay nowhere else and would highly recommend the Octagon Lodge to everyone traveling to Tanzania. It is in the perfect location for safaris, Massai visits, medical clinics, and orphanages that we wanted
to visit.
We can not praise the owners enough for their hospitality and wish them continued success.

Camille and Jackie

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed at Octagon Lodge following a friends recommendation, and I would definitely recommend it to others. The staff at the Lodge were very friendly and helpful, and our safari guide had infinite patience with our many questions! We only had two days to spend on safari, but we were offered a choice of intinerary and our trips to Lake Maynara and Ngorongoro Crater (both within easy distance) were fantastic. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean, and the food was another highlight (3 tasty courses each night!). Alongisde the amazing wildlife, the staff and surroundings of the lodge made for a wonderful safari experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stumbled upon this little gem when investigating holidays in Tanzania on the internet. I booked my entire safari holiday with Octagon Safaris and the service they provided was first rate. I was on safari for a week and we spent four nights at The Octagon Safari Lodge. I would recommend this place strongly and we all agreed the overall experience was definitely excellent. The accommodation is landscaped around spectacular gardens and the place is very cozy and homely. The atmosphere is relaxed and unfussy. The overall setting is simple but comfortable and the staff are very switched on and eager to help. We did some very interesting and unusual things on our safari which was customized to suit our personal needs and tastes. Possibly one of the biggest and best surprises was the day of mountain biking with the owner all around rolling hills and farms nearby. If I went back I would set aside three days for this alone! Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention the best food we’ve had in Africa in all the times we’ve visited!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo