“Mountain Inn is very good value”
Review of Mountain Inn

Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
Kent
“Mountain Inn is very good value”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I have recently come back from Tanzania and stayed in many hotels over the 3 weeks. In Moshi we stayed in the Mountain Inn before and after our safari with Shah tours. I had read some of the negative reports before we went and was a little worried to be honest. How wrong. I thought it was an excellent hotel, good food, clean rooms and the staff could not be more helpful. We will be coming back to Moshi for the Kili climb in a few years and will be booking the Mountain Inn again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Shah_Tours_Kili, Manager at Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
We're very happy that your worries were squashed! Thanks for the review and we will be waiting for you for your Kili climb!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed in Mountain Inn when my friends and I climbed Kili last month. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews. I was glad to be proved wrong. The hotel was basic but clean. The staff was helpful (I especially liked Castro) . Almost everyone staying there was doing the kili trek. They were all very happy to share their experiences/give helpful tips. I had to rent some of my kili equipment. The hotel was honest about the poor quality of their gear. They recommended I get most of my gear at the gate.
The guides and porters really are the heroes of Kilimanjaro. I highly recommend Naftael as the head guide. He was patient, friendly and very knowledgeable. He also had good English. James, the assistant guide, really shined on the summit day. I was sick a lot that day and he stayed with me and urged me on. He doesn’t speak much English but I speak Swahili so it was OK. Joseph the waiter/porter also stuck out. He was very friendly. If we liked a particular food/drink (aka French toast and orange soda) he made sure we got it.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank prodgepowa
Thank you for your review, we're glad you had a enjoyable trip. I have personally climbed myself with Naftael and he is a brilliant guide! Hope to see you again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We booked an expedition for 6 adults up Mt. Kilimanjaro. Shah Tours displayed a criminal dishonesty and lack of professionalism in their dealings with us. We had specifically booked and paid for a minivan to transport our party from Nairobi to the Mountain Inn, and expected the same transport for our return. Shah tours had a minibus pick us up at the hotel, and then dump us at a travel agents' office in Moshi. We had to fight through a bunch of Western tourists for seats on a large public coach back to Nairobi. When we got to Nairobi late at night (due to multiple coach stops), we were again unceremoniously dumped on a main road, to find our own transport home. DO NOT USE SHAH TOURS - ONCE THEY'VE TAKEN YOUR MONEY, THEY WILL NOT DELIVER ANY SERVICES PROMISED AND MAY SERIOUSLY JEOPARDIZE YOUR SAFETY!

Stayed September 2009
13 Thank daiquirisatdawn
Tom Price, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We wanted a tour group that could take us up Mt Kili and on safari in the Serengeti. We stayed at the Mountain Inn which is quite basic but nothing horrible. Our climb was first, which went pretty well. The tents, walking poles and sleeping bags which we hired, were pretty bad and I would really recommend taking your own. Shah Tours itself wasn't that bad and i really think the guide is the key to the trip. Our guide Rocky was excellent, we had a briefing every morning and night, the food was excellent and always too much. The porters and our second guide were so amazing and we really enjoyed their company the whole time. We made it to the summit and back down and then we paid for lunch to celebrate the climb, we also tipped well as we were happy. These guys are all free-lance and so appreciate any extras. Overall we were happy with the climb.
On our safari, a 6 day trip, we did see the Big 5. But i have to say that this had nothing to do with our guide's skill or enthusiam. He followed other 4W drives around and he spotted only the obvious animals. The only time we found something first, it was my husband who spotted it! He had no interest in telling us any facts or information about the area or the animals and we often heard the info from overhearing other groups. The food was basic again but still tasty. After all this, we still did enjoy ourselves and just being in the Crater was a huge highlight of our six week trip. From these guided tours I would have to say that the quality of your guide can make a huge impact on the trip. The most Popular tour company seemed to be Leopard Tours. Also if you are going to Uganda I would highly recommend Abacus African Vacations and tour guide Kus.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OutbackWalkers
Thank you for your review, and congratulations on reaching the summit. Appologies from us for the safari guide, we take pride in ensuring we use the most knowladgable and freindly guides! It is good to hear you enjoyed the Crater. We hope you travel with us again in the future!
calgary
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I travelled to Africa to run a marathon, climb Kilimanjaro and go one a safari. I stayed at the Mountain Inn before the climb and after the safari. It was an very comfortable hotel. The food was excellent and service very good. I would stay there again if Im ever in Moshi

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank babalynn
Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your trip and are waiting for your return.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 17, 2008

If you are booking a safari or a climb up Kilimanjaro with Shah Tours, Mountain Inn is the place you will stay. The rooms are clean and very basic (no television, internet access A/C, or fans). Although they advertise hot showers, this is not always the case. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurant is quiet tasty. Mountain Inn is located about 12 kilometers from town so cab rides to and from will cost you about $12.
Except for the occasional rooster crowing or village children heard playing, it is very quiet. If you desire to get out and walk around, there is a small grocery store/market in which you could pick up a few bare necessities. There are also a few roadside places that you can get a cold beer. They advertise a sauna, but it is no longer available and used as storage closet. I would not recommend booking a room here unless it is included in the price of a safari or mountain climb. It is too far from town and rather expensive compared to others (costing about $45 for a single room).

• Liked — food & nicely kept grounds
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank rollinstones2
Lake District, England
Reviewed February 22, 2007

This is the hotel used by Explore (Shah Tours) for those climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. I stayed here before and after the trip. It is an excellent lodge and ideal for the mountain. The owners are very knowledgeable about the area and can arrange tours up the mountain and to the National Parks.
Safe and clean with nice pool. Excellent food.
Just what was required!