“Kilimanjaro trekking and Safaries”
Review of Mountain Inn

Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I would like to thank to all the Shah Tours done for us, great organization, professional guides, great accommodation, everything was great and to recommend.
Hotel is very clean, the staff friendly, the food good.

Renato Milovski and my 17 people!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mountain Inn

Reviewed October 6, 2013

very well organised. Communication before the trip was done so well, that we got there all prepared. At the mountain inn, we had a very warm welcome. The rooms are very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful.
The guides who took us up, were the best....very considerate and helpful. The food on the mountain was one of the highlights apart from the mountain itself.....I would always use shah tours and definitely recommend...

Room Tip: The mosquito nets are slightly small and some of the rooms close to the road slighty loud. Maybe get...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Management- Very friendly and helpful regardless of arrival and departures. Food was served per ones need and schedule, very flexible. Have to let them know ahead of time for personnel diets and needs. Communications and responses plays important role. Their response was quick with any questions. Us being vegetarian we ordered some snacks and Remee -Marketing Manager, went out of the way and had some snacks ready for us before we got to Moshi. Thanks to Shah Tours management team for all your effort and output to make this trip successful.
Both climbing Kilimanjaro and Serengeti national park safari was arranged by Shah Tours and Travel.

Mountain Inn Accommodation and Surrounding - The inn is about 20 minutes from the city. More of Guest House than hotel. Very much applicable for in and out of Kilimanjaro and Safari Game Parks.The surrounding is peaceful, and restful with nice beautiful garden, swimming pool, bar and eatery area with large screen television. WiFi is available only in restaurant area. Some times internet related services are slow due to location and is developing country. So had to face some technical niches. Problem we faced was login, if 1 or 2 people are logged in, one has to log in as 3rd or 4th number and so on. If login is a problem on WiFi talk to someone as there is always help available. The rooms are very basic and large. We got hot water all the time, but some of our team members had hot water on and off. Next day the problem was fixed. We paid the competitive price so no complains. Food was great and very friendly smiling staff willing to help all the time.

Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro- We took Lemosho route. Pre evening climb, we were briefed very clearly about the climb, safety and emergency. Luckily we all made it to top of Kilimanjaro. Our special thanks to climbing professionalism of Chief Guide McClaud Kowero and his team who made it successful. He was very encouraging and patience with us. Always made sure each of the member was alright. His team of sub guides, porters and cooks worked very hard and they did excellent job. The food was good but the altitude sickness made it impossible to eat enough.

Safari Game Parks- Serengeti National Park and surrounding parks (7 days journey) Our safari Guide Frank Maro very friendly and wise man. Immense knowledge about animals and habitat. Always helpful and tried hard and made sure we had chance to see each kind of animal in the park. His vision and lookout for animals was great and could easily spot animals at far distance and made an effort to take us as much closer as he can. Thanks to Frank Maro

Over all we have been 2 times to Masai Mara this was our first time to Serengeti
National Park.

Our Special thanks to Shah Tours, Mountain Inn management Mr Harshid Shah, Roheel, Ramee and Digvijay and Rakesh, Kilimanjaro climbing chief guide Mcclaud Kowere and his team, Safari Game Park guide Frank Maro and not the least but all Smiling and ever ready to help Mountain Inn Staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Mountain view staff are very friendly, very accomodating, they look after you and make you feel like you are the first person that has ever stayed there. The food is great, so much of it. The rooms are clean and basic, which is all you need. You can see Kili from the hotel so your adventure starts from here. Wi-fi is available but it does drop out from time to time. There is no international phone line, but I would expect this to be typical of the area, not just the hotel. All the staff have a continuous smile on their face.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My Husband and I planned our Kili hike through Shah Tours in Aug 2013. I had a seamless experience with them- everything was as I had been told or I had interpreted from their simple documents.

Advance payment of $500- we needed to do this to reserve our tour. Due to wire transfer issues (at my end), I didnt realize that $25 would get deducted as wire transfer fee. Shah tours had no issue that they received less than the amount agreed up on

Mountain Inn- I loved it. Of course it wasn't fancy or luxurious, but it was what we paid for. The rooms for comfortable. We had no trouble getting hot water, though some other works said they did. I liked the food a lot, and the service in the cafe made it feel like such an easy affair.

Pre climb brief- Luizer gave us a good brief the night before- no complaints. We also were able to rent a lot of the equipment from there

The hike itself- was fantastic! We took the Marangu route, and I must admit, I'm generally a low fuss, happy traveler, especially in the mountains. The hike isn't easy, but having the right guides (Nelson, Viktor and my favorite- Roman!) helped tremendously. They forced us to take it slow, and our group did pretty well compared to others. I didn't get altitude sickness (but that's physiology), but my relatively infrequent fears were wonderfully allay by my guides. They don't make decisions your behalf, but give you the right guidance. The food on the hike was definitely nothing great- I didn't mind as it tasted fine and was healthy. But yes, it wasn't fun after a couple of days.

Tips- I REALLY wanted to share this here. The porters and guides do so much! Agreed they are accustomed to it, but in the cold, they carry your stuff, they keep you motivated, they smile and cheer you up when you're feeling deflated- its a lot. I saw too many people saving pennies on tips, which isn't fair. I don't have guidance on how much to tip as I've seen varied suggestions. We went with Shah Tours' suggestion, which appeared fair and our porters and guides seemed satisfied. Believe me, your porters and guides will not tell you, but you can tell from their expressions when they're not pleased. Another group who we met along the way tipped their guides fine, but tipped their porters very poorly, and it became known to a lot of us (hopefully, if not a sense of unfairness, the negative publicity acts as a deterrent)

Mountain Inn after the climb- Fun again. Lots of beer, served us by happy Harriet in the cafe

Room Tip: Rooms are very basic, clean, comfortable but no frills. if you're a luxury traveler, don't s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here before my Kilimanjaro climb and was impressed by the level of service, the staff go to extra lengths to get you everything you need, including equipment for the climb. The food is excellent and the atmosphere at the restaurant and bar is extremely inviting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We spent one day preparing for our Kili climb at the Mountain Inn. The staff was very helpful and even accomodated our late dinner as we did not arrive at the hotel until after 10:00 p.m. My family (husband and 2 children ages 13 and 14) traveled to Tanzania this past August 2013 to climb Kilimanjaro and to safari. After several months of research we chose Shah Tours to arrange our 2-week vacation. We had a wonderful time on this trip and were successful in summiting Kilimanjaro. We owe our success to the guides that Shah Tours chose to lead our trek. We were very pleased with our team of guides and porters on the mountain. We ended our vacation with a three day safari to Tarangire, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Parks. Shah Tours suggested a tented safari camp for our family, which was perfect. We were right in the middle of all of the action with lions, hyenas, and zebras calling throughout the night. Our driver on safari also did a wonderful job giving us time to observe and photograph the animals. We could not have asked for a more perfect experience for our first time to Africa! Thank you Shah Tours!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family