“Fantastic stay at Mountain Inn - excellent safari & climb with Shah Tours”
Review of Mountain Inn

Mountain Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our few days/nights at Mountain Inn were brilliant. Very helpful staff, rooms were spacious and ideal with the necessary facilities. Enjoyed spending most our time outdoors - the swimming & the open/outdoor restaurant - the food was great! Would definitely recommend Shah tours for a Kili climb and the stay at Mountain Inn. Very impressed with the organised safari tours by Shah including the 4x4 vehicle that was provided, and the knowledgeable driver/guide!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Trekker1983
Shah_Tours_Kili, Manager at Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your Tanzanian adventure with us!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I start by emphasizing that we did not stay at Mountain Inn. I wanted to bypass the rating of the property bit but this site would not let me so I have given it the max rating. The reason we did not stay at Mt Inn was because we have family in Moshi! We did have dinner and lunch at Mountain Inn which we thoroughly enjoyed. We used Shah Tours to organise the safari and Zanzibar trip. All our questions were promptly answered and all our demands were met. Their drivers were always punctual for airport pickup/dropoff and for safari. Our guide/driver (thanks Frank) during the safari spoke good English and was knowledgeable. The hotel chosen in Zanzibar was the best! Thank you for helping us organise this holiday. Thank you Hiten. We did not climb Kili but hopefully one day!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank kalsha
Shah_Tours_Kili, Manager at Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Thank you for your comment. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to having you climb Kilimanjaro with us!

Reviewed April 20, 2011

Booked through Kilimanjaro Tours. This was a great trip. All of the details were handled. We were there for 16 days. Our trip started with the Marathon/5 K, one day off, and then the 6day Marango route hike to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The toughest part of the hike was the 3rd day, and the 5th day when we started at midnight for the top. Sorry got off track but back to Shah Tours-Mountain Inn
The staff their was great, friendly, and always willing to help. The always had good advice whenever we asked. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay. The rooms were nice for Africa. They had mosquito nets, and a fan. The pool area and dinning area were nice.
Breakfast and Dinner were included in our fare and were the best meals we had the entire trip. Lunch on the other hand there was not very good, I recommend going over to the Keys Hotel for a burger. I also recommend bringing ear plugs if you want to sleep in. In the morning you here the rooster every day and traffic from the road. (I'm a lighter sleeper so just a suggestion). I also liked being able to leave our luggage at the hotel during our hike and safari. Everything was kept in a secure location, and delivered back to our room when we returned.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Matt J
Shah_Tours_Kili, Manager at Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the review! We will have to work on our lunch packages! Hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed February 15, 2011

We booked the kilimanjaro 6 days and a 4day safari with Shah Tours. We spent some time to do some research for a reliable organization and a good price. Shah Tours applied immediately everytime I sent them an email and they arranged everything perfectly on a very short term. Mountain Inn was a great hotel with excellent food. The Guides and the cooks on the mountain and on the safari were really fantastic. For the price we paid, the whole package was absolutely fantastic and we can raelly recommend it!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daisy188568

Thank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you were able to see the big 5 on your safari, and Uhuru peak on your Climb!

Reviewed December 29, 2010

One thing that bothers me about trip advisor is that the majority of people who take the time to write are upset about something. I feel like I owe it to Shah tours to write an objective review from the point of view of someone who has done a great deal of traveling in developing countries. Here goes:

We used Shah Tours to book the Kilimanjaro trek, a camping safari, and a Zanzibar holiday. They met and often exceeded our expectations throughout the trip. We primarily dealt with Hiten. Hiten did an adequate job of preparing us for what to expect on the trip and was patient with me as I tend to ask a ton of questions. I thought I'd mention this b/c some other people who wrote reviews didn't have nice things to say. My experiences were positive and everything he said was accurate.

We were picked up at the airport by a knowledgeable driver who talked to us about the history of Moshi. We arrived at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised that the restaurant stayed open, specifically to feed us dinner even though it was 9:00pm when we arrived. Overall, the food was good. The room was nice enough but please remember that you are in a developing country so set your expectations accordingly. You are not staying at the Hilton. It was nice for a hotel designed for trekkers. It was relatively clean and the sheets seemed to be clean and maintained. The room had mosquito nets but I don't think you really need them as the rooms are sealed pretty tight. Caroline, who is in charge of the office is nice and trustworthy. I was very nervous about handing all of our money over to her for the safe but she made us feel at ease by stapling shut the envelope and then having me sign it to make sure nobody opens it. My only complaint was that when I went to retrieve the money one time, I noticed the envelope had not been put in the safe but simply on top of it. The room is locked and was probably still very safe but I wasn't very happy about this. that said, everything was still there so it wasn't a big deal. The front desk man was nice and helpful. He got us a taxi and negotiated a good rate for us.

The Kilimanjaro trek was one of the most valuable experiences of my life. Our team was fantastic. Naftael was our guide and he was great. We had an assistant guide named Focus. I was very happy with both of these guys but would recommend Focus over Naftael. Focus also works as a lead guide so it is possible to get him as the lead guide. They were both great and encouraged us up the mountain. On the summit night, they were crucial to our success. They were equally as knowlegeable and determined to get you up the mountain. Focus was just a bit more personable. Great, great experience. We gave most of our equipment to the group. even though we are avid outdoors people, we decided that their equipment was so poor that we couldn't leave without helping them. They were very appreciative.

The safari was also fantastic. Raymond was our guide and was very good at spotting animals. The only weird thing about Raymond is that he was a little shady as he would always have an excuse in the evenings as to why he needed to leave the campground for a bit. He would say that something was wrong with the landcruiser. We joked that he must have a girlfriend in each little town. It wasn't a big deal, just struck us as a little weird. The campgrounds were nice but just FYI that contrary to other posts, you do not have armed personnel guarding the campsite in the Serengetti. It wasn't a big deal but we definitely heard animals coming through at night. The food was ridiculously good. Mgosi, our cook, was top-notch. He was even able to make us delicious pizza one night. I couldn't believe it! One thing that made me nervous is that even though our landcruiser seemed to be running fine, Raymond explained on the last day that he needed to get something fixed and we would be joining another guide and tourist. We took everything valuable but were nervous leaving our stuff with them. They told us they would meet us at the next campsite but I was very nervous. It turned out ok, however, as they met us like they asked. Raymond was informed that our flight the next day was going to be delayed.

Next, we went to Zanzibar through Shah tours. I was awfully glad to book through a local company b/c everyone that booked with an international company had trouble with their flight reservations. Warning: be careful how much luggage you take on Precision Air. They charge $5/Kg and their scales weigh about 10% too heavy (verified by a few of us that weighed ourself on the scale).

Shah had a driver pick us up in Zanzibar who was equally as knowledgeable. the hotel we stayed at wasn't a Shah hotel but was recommended. We were happy with this recommendation.

Overall, great experience with a great company. Set your expectations appropriately keeping in mind that you are in Africa. Shah was fantastic and I would use them for any future Tanzanian vacations. If you'd like any specifics, feel free to email me at longhorn10102003@yahoo.com.

Trey

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for your very detailed review and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and your journey in Africa and were successful in reaching the summit. Will definitely have to ask Raymond what his evening secrets are around the campsite. Congratulations and thank you again for the review, and Karibu again to Tanzania!

Reviewed October 20, 2010

3 of my friends and I used Shah Tours for our combined Kili hike and safari. We spent 5 nights on Kili and 5 nights on safari in Lake Manyara NP, Serengeti NP, and Ngorongoro Crater. I did a ton of research before booking the trip to find the cheapest tour operator that was also reliable and safe, and I am very glad I chose Shah.

Our Kili guides and porters were wonderful, and we always had more than enough good food to eat and clean (boiled and cooled) water to drink. We each slept in our own tents, which were always set up for us by the time we arrived in camp, and we ate our meals at camp in a spacious "dining tent". Our guide briefed us on each day's hike and did everything he could to ensure that we'd be prepared for the summit.

The safari was likewise excellent--our driver was very friendly and accommodating, our food was great, and the itinerary was perfectly planned so that we saw the maximum diversity of wildlife and landscapes.

We all felt that we were in very competent hands the entire time, and that we got a great deal. The three nights we spent at the Mountain Inn in Moshi were also wonderful--the pool was clean, the rooms were spacious and comfortable, and in general we felt that we were on a luxurious vacation! Highly recommended for those who want to experience Kili and the Serengeti safely and comfortably, without spending a lot of extra money on unnecessary frills.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wandering_Aengus_10

Thank you for your review, we're glad you felt accomodated and enjoyed your trip with us and saw all the wildlife and landscapes of Tanzania. Any lions up close? Hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was my second time to use Shah we had a group of 16. We did a Kili climb then a Safari. The Mountain Inn is a nice kick off place. It is just as advertised it has clean rooms and a friendly staff. The mountain staff of Shah is very good and truly care about your group members well being. Robert, Lawrence, Emanuel all knew their stuff and the mountain very well. The Safari drivers for Shah were Beta, Freddie, and Frank all very seasoned drivers.
Their driving made everyone feel safe and they acted professional at all times.
First both mountain guides and drivers all had a good sense of humor and were knowledgeable. Secondly I would to want to use them again. The lodges Shah uses on the Safari are very nice. The amount of food we ate both on the mountain and the lodges would be described as massive. The mountain you climb, camp sights, lodges, and the animals that you see on the safari are the same as those who pay alot more.
I would use them again for sure.

Tim

• Stayed: July 2010

Thank you for your review and we're glad you had fun with all of our staff, did you understand the Swahili jokes!? Hope to see you again soon. Regards