After climbing Kilimanjaro for 7 days, we paid $50 (a lot in Moshi) for a shower, sleep and a tiny bit of relaxation....no such luck. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!
A quick balanced summary of the cons and pros ....
1. No hot water. After trying to turn on the switch for 2 hours, they finally agreed to let us move rooms. Four rooms later, we had hot water... for about 6 minutes.
2. Noise. Only sleep remedy here is a 2x4 to the noggin. Loud parties, a noisy parking lot in the center of the hotel, roosters, farting pigs, crows with fog-hornesque crowing, and bells, senseless bells, early....and more..
3. Broken toilet. No flushing. Might as well camp.
4. Broken fan. Would not switch on. Reception could care less.
5. Location. This place is out in the sticks. After negotiation, the cheapest taxi one way into town is still around $3, $6 return, despite what your guide book says. A bit annoying if you need to go into town more than once in a day.
6. Mosquito nets are too small to fit around the bed, leaving you in an exasperated sweaty mess as you try to untangle yourself around 4am after not sleeping. And somehow there are more mosquitos here than in the city (perhaps because you're in the countryside). The little pirahanas were lapping up my 60% deet spray like warm milk.
7. Price. I was quoted 50,000 Tanzanian shillings on the phone - approximately $42. When I arrived, the price had changed to $50.
8. Customer service. There is none. When the water was broken, and we were clearly 7 days unwashed, delirious from all the climbing, no one was willing to help until I started demanding my money back. For a Christian hotel, they do not treat you as they'd like to be treated.
1. Food. Tasty, reasonable portions and semi-reasonably priced. Based on the earlier review, I guess we got lucky.
The previous night we stayed at Zebra Hotel, which was only $35 ($15 cheaper), and had hot water, decent plumbing, and the staff was pleasant. It's very new and very, very decent. Please save your money and go to a place that delivers on the price.
In short, DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR AMENITIES THAT DON'T EXIST (ie fan, tv, mosquito net, plumbing, etc)
Hope you have better luck....
- Also Known As:
- Lutheran Uhuru Hotel Moshi
- Lutheran Uhuru Hostel Moshi