“Excellent Climbing Experience”
Review of Marangu Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Marangu Hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
“Excellent Climbing Experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Through Marangu Hotel our large group had an incredible climbing experience. By following the guidance of the hotel and climbing staff, we were all able to summit! Throughout the experience guides, porters and anyone staffed by the hotel or climbing company were very pleasant and accommodating. They were also very responsible, taking special care of each of us throughout the journey. The hotel area was safe and beautiful, I highly recommend this hotel for climbing Kilimanjaro.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed for two nights at Marangu Hotel and climbed Kilimanjaro through the hotel. The overall quality of the experience the hotel provides is amazing. The rooms were comfortable and had working showers, the grounds were beautiful, the staff was effective, the food was good and plentiful (breakfast was provided), and the directors were incredibly informative regarding the climb. Would recommend to any friend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is amazingly beautiful with botanical gardens and bars. The even better part was the climb. The guides were extremely helpful and responsible. They paid careful attention to everyone's health conditions and were willing to answer all the questions. However the negative part about the hotel is the internet connection. They charge 1 dollar per 30 minutes for the wifi but the signals are really really bad. It's even hard to send an email.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed at Marangu Hotel with a group of 12. We all had such an amazing time at the hotel as well as on our climb up Kilimanjaro. The accommodations were great for the day before and after the climb. The food was delicious and plentiful. We spent a great night at the bar the night we got down from the climb. The drinks had low prices and we all enjoyed the night a lot!

In terms of Marangu Hotel outfitting our group for the climb, I felt as if I was in the best hands possible. Our guide, Charley, was phenomenal as well as the other guides, porters, and cooks. The food was delicious, we always felt like the guides had our best interests in mind, and EVERYONE MADE IT TO THE TOP! The guides had our best interests in mind and they really helped us all to get to the top. I was extremely happy with how the climb went.

maui, hi
Reviewed December 24, 2013

If you are like me, you are probably researching climbing companies and hotels in the Kilimanjaro area to see which is best. Stop looking and just use Marangu Hotel! They are by far the best outfitter, best hotel, and best restaurant, plus their staff is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient Our stay at the hotel as well as the Kili climb they arranged was perfect, and actually exceeded our expectations.

We stayed at Marangu Hotel at the end of November and beginning of December 2013 for 2 nights before our 5 day Marangu route climb, and 2 nights after. I arranged everything through Desmond, one of the owners and directors, who is one of the most honest and professional hoteliers you will ever meet anywhere in the world (and as you can see from my reviews, we have a lot to compare him to).

For months we debated whether or not to climb Kili (since we were climbing with our 12-year-old), when to go, where to stay, and most importantly, which climbing company to use. I emailed and researched many companies, but no one was as professional and honest as Desmond, who cheerfully and quickly answered all of my silly, annoying questions.

Marangu Hotel, I believe, is the first company to start outfitting Kilimanjaro climbs, and because of that, they do everything well. (I will give details of the climb in a separate review under Kilimanjaro as an attraction.) I also think they are one of the first established hotels in the area, and again, this experience has made everything about them superb.

The hotel itself is so charming (no, it's not a Hilton, but why in the world would you want that in Tanzania?), with an amazing view of Kilimanjaro, many acres of beautiful gardens, a huge swimming pool, and unusual, super-clean, darling bungalows ( we stayed in 2 different 2-bedroom suites with wonderful patios, comfortable beds, and bathrooms that included bathtubs and hot water).

The restaurant uses produce from their own garden to cook their meals (and also sends that produce up the mountain on your climb) which are beautifully prepared and presented. The breakfasts and dinners were amazing. You don't really get to choose what the dinner is, it is kind of a surprise, but we loved that. The 6 course meal was fabulous every night and even if you are picky, they serve you such a variety and so much that you are bound to like most of it, if not all, like we did. (If you are a vegetarian, they cater to you too.)
We also loved that this hotel was environmental. They have their own spring and filter their water so you don't have to use bottled water and have all of that horrible bottle waste, They also don't use plastic bags in the rooms, another plus.

If you are not there for a Kili climb, Marangu hotel is still a pleasant, relaxing, very quiet place to stay. The town around it is clean, friendly, and safe. We walked all around the town for 2 days, which was quite interesting and fun. If you are religious, I highly recommend going to a service. We went to a Catholic Mass that was beautiful and unforgettable.

Overall, everything about our stay was better than we expected--from Winston who picked us up at the airport, to Abu who dropped us off and all the many wonderful people in between--the waitresses, chefs, housekeepers, guards, reception ladies, climbing organizers, and our amazing Kilimanjaro crew: Chief Guide Gaudence, Assistant Guides Peter and John, Cook Max (Peter's son), waiter AND porter Joseph, and porters Ernest,, Salvatore, and Martin. (I will talk about our fantastic climbing experience in a different review, under trip advisor attractions "Kilimanjaro."

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank scubamaui
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed at the Marangu Hotel for two nights, before and after a 5 day climb up Mt Kilimanjaro. I was traveling with a team of 8 people as part of an Intrepid group. Intrepid entirely outsources the climb to the Marangu Hotel. So, not only is the Marangu Hotel a base for your stay, but they lead the entire trek. End-to-end, it was an incredible experience. Desmond kicked off our trip with an hour and a half briefing the night before we left. It was extremely thorough and helpful. The staff at the hotel is very methodical making sure you truly have all the equipment you need before you begin.

The climb up is hands down physically the hardest thing I've ever done. However, it was a fantastic experience, made possible by the crew. We had a legendary chief guide, Fataeli, as well as several great assistant guides. I cannot write enough good things about Fataeli -- especially on the final ascent, Fataeli and the assistant guides gave us just the right amount of help and encouragement to ensure that all 8 of us made it to the top. The food on the trip is plentiful and good.

Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro was one of the best things I have done in my life. The Marangu Hotel took care of everything and ensured it was a truly outstanding experience. I highly recommend staying with them and allowing them to organize all the pieces of your climb.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ben T
Moshi
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I cannot remember what I wrote about the Marangu Hotel previously, but since I have stayed there again within the last year, I can again comment. And, I have referred two sets of visitors to Moshi up there and they were completely charmed by the hotel.
Once again, the food was delicious and the wait not too long (much longer wait for lunch, but so beautiful that it isn't the worst situation in the world). The rooms are charming, our bed comfortable, mosquito nets even though not many mosquitoes up there, and adequate bedding for cool nights. The grounds are spectacular, the gift shop adorable and lots of interesting things for reasonable prices. Every time I drive on business to Mwika, I stop by the hotel for a coffee and to look through the gift shop. Desmond, Seamus and Jackie are the best hosts, and have stories galore. The history of the hotel is amazing, and the family has upheald the traditions beautifully. There is lots to do for a weekend away, hikes to the waterfalls, hikes up to the first camp, or just around Marangu. The hotel area feels very safe. Great way to start the climb, and great way to spend a romantic weekend. The last time we spent the night, it was pouring rain and incredibly cold. Umbrellas were provided and the blankets in the room toasty. Who cares about a little rain. When it was clear, it felt like you could touch the Mawenzi peak. Glad to review the hotel again and just reemphasize, I have personally stayed there at least 5 times over the last 8 years, and every time has been nice. The hotel doesn't just rest on its laurels though, as there are many new upgrades, especially with turning more and more to solar water. Super. And they still let you camp there if you want and use the pool.! My friends came back from their weekends raving about the fabulous time they had there.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the croquet court are the nicest.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family