“Exceptionally accommodating staff, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Springlands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Springlands Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
Halifax, Canada
“Exceptionally accommodating staff, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

When we first arrived from Rwanda, late in the evening, we were planning on starting the 5 day climb early the following morning. As it turned out, some tourist-climbers succumb to altitude sickness earlier that day, and Springlands staff gave them our room. We were shuttled to an adjacent, and very loud hotel for the night. We were less than impressed.

But, as fate would have it, I developed the symptoms of food poisoning later that evening, and was up all night. I was in no shape to make the ascent at that time. So, the Springlands staff gave us a room in their hotel, free of charge, and allowed us to add a day onto the climb. They also made snacks from the kitchen at irregular hours that I could stomach. Everyone was asking how I was doing. They were so very accommodating over that 24 hours that I think their generosity was instrumental in getting me to the top of Kilimanjaro.

Quiet place to sleep, organized staff, nice hotel grounds.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rdoylens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed at the Springlands for 3 nights before, and one night after a Kilimanjaro trek. It is about 3 kilimeters outside of Moshi down a very rough dirt road, surrounded by a very high concrete wall. Although the hotel is not close to town, there is a very cheap shuttle service into Moshi. The Hotel is Owned by Zara Tanzania Adventures, and the hotel is mostly for people who have booked a safari or Kili trek with Zara. The hotel is very nice and clean, and the folks who run the hotel are very friendly. The room I stayed in the first night was very small, and the hotel is not air conditioned. But all of the rooms seemed to have a fan, screens on the windows, and mosquito nets. You must turn on the hot water about 20 to 30 minutes before you shower with a big red rocker switch. The food is only fair, and they run out of stuff on the buffet lot. If you will be patient though, they will bring more food out eventually. After my trek, they put me in a much larger, nicer room, so the quality and size of the rooms does vary somewhat. They do have satelite internet for $1 per 15 minutes. I had a Cellestial phone card, and was able to get phone service from the hotel on an intermittent basis. The best place to get phone service is in the driveway just inside the gate. They have a store with cheap bottlled water and souvenirs, and you can arrange a safari or other activities at the front desk. If you are going on a Kili trek, don't hesitate to put your stuff in one of the lock boxes, as they are quite secure.

From what I understand, the Springlands is fairly good for an east African hotel. Just don't expect too much and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank docdiamond
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and walled off from the outside world. It is quiet and peaceful. The rooms are basic accommodation, but very clean.
The owner was present daily and obviously attending to details. The food was okay - some of it we really enjoyed and some was so-so. Personally made omelets at breakfast was a nice touch. The pool was much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
moshi, tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

As an American guide living and working in Moshi, I was fortunate to call the Springlands my refuge when I wasn't on Mt. Kilimanjaro.

First and foremost, let me remind any- and everyone traveling here that you are in a developing country. The Springlands goes above and beyond the norm by providing a sanctuary of relaxation. Whether before or after a climb or safari, the Springlands includes all the ingredients for healthy relaxation.

I was proud to bring my guests here both before and after climbs of Kilimanjaro. The staff is unrivaled. The food is unrivaled. The rooms are comfortable and tasteful. They're not over the top. If you come to Africa to sit in a hotel room, then your priorities need to be reassessed.

Perched on the outskirt of Moshi, you are but a 10 minute shuttle ride from the true Africa. Local markets. Crowded bus depots. Local cuisine. Haggling over prices. All the things a "true" vacation to Africa should include. And at the end of the day you can escape from it all to a warm staff, hot meal and cold drink.

I can't say enough good things about this place. If you're really lucky, you'll have the chance to stay in ZARA's other lodge, The Highview Hotel in Karatu, while on safari. Another gem.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Friendly and customer oriented. This place surprised me. It was very clean and the staff was always ready to help. The owner "Mama Zara" started this 30 years ago and she cares. She even took the time to know my name, how many were in my group where we came from and what activities we were going to do. This was 5 star service. She even asked me what i thought of the hotel, the food, the accommodations and the service. After a ten minute conversation, the following day, one of my suggestion was already in effect. One a the greatest skills you can have in business is "listening" and she has this.

The food was good (did not care for the steel porridge in the morning) and all depending who the head chef for the night is, some nights the food was simply incredible.

Wow a pool, this was so great. it was clean. it was cleaned every day in the morning and the water was checked ounce or twice a day.

The old lady cleaning our room was always smiling and ready to answer any requests.

If you plan on climbing Kili, make sure you book a massage when you return. She will work out any kinks and strains in your mussels.

They even offer a taxi service to town for a dollar and if you want, some one from the hotel can accompany you and give you a tour at the same time. If you plan on buying gifts, make sure you check the prices at the hotel first. Many times they were cheaper.
If you plan on buying in town, start at a 1/3 and finish at 1/2.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aquila73
La Jolla
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Springlands Hotel was not the best hotel for the price. It is more pretententious then it is real. It is a money-making machine that takes your money but does not really care about your experience once you are there. The little things like basic cleanliness, a real hello, and fresh food.

ROOMS:
The first time I checked in, a brown 11/2 inch cockroach was running across the room. I placed the trash can over it hoping ot would suffocate but the next morning I found it was not there. "Oh Great" , I thought. I made sure I did not leave my luggage on the floor. I was not in that room for long but I would think that the bugs go from room to room. The next room felt dusty. I had a layer of dust underneath both beds. It seems like a they just clean the rooms very quickly but do not pay attention to detail. The room did not have toilet paper and clean towels. It did have hot water once you flicked the "hot water" switch. They did provide the missing items as soon as I went to inquire if I could have them.
TYPES of payment CASH is preferred by the hotel. If you use a credit card it will cost you an extra percentage. I witnessed someone disputing the extra charge and after such exchange, they removed the extra charges.
Internet in business center: Must pay 1.00 for 30 minutes of use. It was 1:00 for 15 minutes but was changed later
FOOD: The outdoor patio restaurant served the food buffet style. It did not seem fresh. I believe I had the same food twice. It was lacking variety. I think the breakfast was the best time to eat there. One can order eggs and they bring them out to you on toast. I asked for fresh milk once and they had to go somewhere to look for it. The person came back to tell me that they ran out of milk and the only one available was the canned powder milk. Fresh milk, a simple common restaurant item but not there. The breakfast was included with the room.The lunch was 7 US dollars. The dinner was 9 US dollars. The buffet pans were sometimes left open and the birds would fly into it and or would hop onto the serving spoons left on the side of the main dish. The dinner and lunch had an "indian" tasting flare to it. That can get old after awhile. You can eat out but the hotel is in the outskirts of downtown Moshi. THe hotel is on a very dusty road and some train tracks nearby.
STAFF: I was perplexed by the staff. At times they were very helpful and other times they were standoffish. After, I mentioned it to a manager then some of them were a bit more welcoming. I thought maybe they are like that because they know that the hotel will attract tourists no matter how they behave.
TOURS offered by Hotel: Also, the tours they provide are accompanied by guides they tend to hire on the spot. The Springlands tour guides we were given had their own 10% commission interests when they took us to the town of Moshi. They only took us to places that put money in their pocket. I found that out because a local business owner came to me while I was walking and told me that his business was not visited because he did not pay the tour guides 10%. Be aware that if you see a store you want to go to that you may have to tell the tour guide you want to go there or else they may just not stop. The guides were not happy with the tip they received. They wanted more money.
I wish I would have done my homework but I did not. I did read some bad reviews before I accepted but I thought maybe the reviewers may have been too critical. Now, I know, they were true reviews. If I could it all over again, I would go to another hotel. It was prepaid so I felt locked into this compound of a hotel. To you, I say, be wise and have fun in Tanzania. It is a beautiful country.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lajollacosmos
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

This was the best trip we have ever taken. Thanks "Mama Zara" and staff. I felt like a queen the two weeks we spent with Zara Tours. I have to say, it was the BEST BANG FOR THE over!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moshi
Mountain Inn
#4 of 16 in Moshi
Sal Salinero Hotel
Sal Salinero Hotel
#11 of 16 in Moshi

Been to Springlands Hotel? Share your experiences!