“Good enough”
Review of Springlands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Springlands Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed December 18, 2008

Decent place to stay. Good food great people. Probably climbing Kilimanjaro if you even know this place exists. They will take good care of you and your gear. eat all your meals here. good and inexpensive.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 23, 2008

our stay at Springlands was amazing!!!
we stayed for 3 days coz we wanted to go for some tours first at Kili..

The hotel is really nice, a lot of gardens and a nice clean pool, the food is really good and the staff are sooo friendly. rooms are clrean and i just loved the terraces looking over the forests.

i dont know where i'd go other than this place.
the only thing is you have to sleep at 9 max.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Stayed at Springland and other hotels owned by the same tour company (Zara Tours) for almost a three week stay and could not have asked for a nicer experience! It was our home base for a Kilimanjaro climb, safari and working in a local orphanage.

The set-up for climbing and safari is great. We stayed there for a few days before the climb, were able to rent equipment that we did not bring along, and were able to leave the bags that didn't go to the mountain with us in storage.

Buffet breakfast was included every day and with the hike, some other meals were included as well. All meals were buffet style and had a good variety of chicken/seafood/beef/vegetarian.

There is a store there for bottled water/gifts/toiletries and there is also internet. When we were leaving, they were getting their wireless access set up.

Since the hotel belongs to the tour operator, any questions we had were immediately answered and the staff was very knowledgeable about the area.

I should spend some time on the staff - they are fantastic! Everyone, from Nelson at the front desk, to Benji in the restaurant to the cleaning staff - all are welcoming, friendly and helpful. The owner of the tour company - who we all ended up calling Mama Zara is very hands-on and always around. She and her husband go out of their way to chat with the guests and hear how their experiences are. When I got in a bind, both of them helped me find my way making arrangements to travel thru other parts of Africa. They were truly exceptional in their help!

The gardens, pool area and bar area were an unexpected bonus but proved to be great gathering spots for the afternoons and evenings we had free.

The showers deserve some explanation - next to the light switch is a hot water switch. If you want a hot shower, you have to turn this on! Most of the people who complained about cold showers never turned on the hot water! That being said, you did have to wait 10 minutes or so between showers to make sure there was enough hot water for the next person.

It is true that at the Springlands there was not shampoo in the room - but they did provide shampoo/conditioner at the hotels on safari. Didn't really bother me though since I don't expect those items at every hotel around the world.

The hotel offers a bus that can take you into Moshi (or you can walk the 1km or so) for $1US. We could usually arrange for the driver to pick us back up when we needed.

We were a group of 20 who almost all had extended stays and I am not sure I heard any complaints!

If I were going to Tanzania again (which I just might!), I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank likes2bike
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I did the safari part of my holiday and loved it. I would have love to do kili but will leave that for the next time i am back in Africa.
The first place i stayed at was in Springlands hotel that is basically the main office of zara. When i arived at springlands i was shocked the amazing garden astonished my eyes and especially with the sun out it was a great experience to have a leisure day and get a chance to relaxe by the pool. Gave me more of a beachy feeling with the palm trees and the cream wall painted around the area. The food was great and the staff were really freindly i think that u do not only get from sprinlands but from all tanzanian they are very freindly and nice people. I would just like to say that the whole safari experience was great for me especially the crater, sere, manyara was one of those place that i would consider anyone coming to africa to visit. Zara treated me and the group i enjoyed very well i must say i have never met someone who is a director of such a huge company so freindly and really nice to her clients normally you would expect to meet the staff members but meeting as who she is called mama zara was what amazed me. Thanks zara and looking forward to coming back and doing killi.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank jose2008Usa
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I went to climb Kilimanjaro and this hotel was part of the package. I had no choice but to stay there a day before and a day after the climb.

honestly, it was just bad. There's no other ways to describe it.

Before I jump into how bad it is, I agree with some of the previous comments - some of the staffs were wonderful. Nelson at the receptionist is great.

Room - Imagine the worst motel room. Dark, old/dusty curtains, and I have serious doubts about the cleanliness of the bed. The first night I was there, I was almost eaten alive by bed bugs.

Bathroom - lukewarm water just enough to wash.. maybe a cat. After 7 days in the mountain w/o showers, my husband and I didn't have enough hot water for both of us to take showers. We ended up taking a cold (very very weak pressure) shower. And get this! This is a hotel that supposely cater towards hikers, right? They do not provide any shampoo for you. If you want shampoo for your 7-day-unwashed hair, you can spend $5 dollars to buy a giant bottle from the gift shop. Oh - and the water flows out of the shower area so the entire bathroom is flooded....

Food - If you are hungry, food is decent....

cashier - Only after we arrive in the hotel, we were informed that they only take "cash or Visa". We thought to ourselves - thank god we have a visa as we do not normally carry so much cash with us and are regular american express users. Of course, on the day we were checking out, we were told in the morning that the visa machine is not working and we would have to go into town to get cash. Thank god we asked for the bills early. What would happen if we were checking out at 3am??? After going in town to get cash to make the payment, the cashier woman threw the biggest temper tantrum when she realized that we weren't paying in dollars but in Tanzanian shillings instead. When she finally accepted the fact that it was Tanzanian shillings or nothing else, she proceeded with a major attitude when our bills weren't small enough and she had to give us change. Honestly, we only had 10,000 shilling bills (and that's the equivalent of $10 USD) b/c that's the only thing the ATM expenses. She snapped back and said we would have gotten smaller bills had we made the effort to go to a bank teller (and she said it with a straight face ON A SUNDAY WHEN THE BANK IS CLOSED!!!) When I reminded her that it's a Sunday, she rolled her eyes. It was just bad.

oh - and we made 2 appointments to get a massage after we returned from the mountain. we waited for over an hour and no one ever showed up. When we asked the receptionist about it, the reply was "at least you won't get charged". But it was precious time wasted sitting around waiting for a confirmed appointment....

I would say that if this is part of a package and you don't have a choice, stay here. But if you do have a choice, stay somewhere else.....

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maodohsiao
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I have been in spring-lands during my Kilimanjaro trekking followed by safari. The hotel is named after the freshwater springs which are located just a short distance from the hotel, the only great forest in town, facilitating good climatic condition to the hotel. It has good clean facilities, warm, real staff that treated us like a person and not just another occupant in the big hotel. While we were in a foreign land with my colleagues we felt comfortable, safe and important. I can forget the cultural tourism program coordinated by the management and a charity work we did at a nearby primary school, we felt like a home away from home without hassles and chores.

The shuttle service was available throughout our stay, we knew that we won't be lost or helpless when an emergency crops up, Yassin and Nelson were polite and sincere staff who were ready to go more than the extra mile for us.

I didn’t mind going back to my room after a long tiring day, it assured that I can relax and chill out in the swimming pool, a restaurant or have a walking tour at a nearby forest with various bird and monkey species.

The hotel has a character that sets it apart from other hotels in Moshi, it is among the properties of the leading Mount Kilimanjaro tour operator in Tanzania and is used as a home base for Kilimanjaro trekking, we knew that it was ideal for us, I feels fortunate for my experiences and can’t wait to go back the next time I will be at Moshi

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank jtraveller27
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We had two overnight stops in the Springlands Hotel, one before our safari and one after.
The first night was not too bad, the hotel was quiet.
The second night was abismal, it was crowded, seemed more like a youth hostel than a hotel, with children running around until the early hours banging on peoples doors.
The restaurant was more like a 'cattle market' during dinner, the soup was cold, there was hardly any food left when we attempted to eat and there was clammering by the guests to grab what they could when anything was bought out, there was no coffee, no desserts left, it all just seemed as though they were just not coping with the number of guests.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Mike B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moshi
Mountain Inn
Parkview Inn
Parkview Inn
#4 of 17 in Moshi
Ameg Lodge Kilimanjaro

Been to Springlands Hotel? Share your experiences!