“You can't beat this spot!”
Review of Stella Maris Lodge

Stella Maris Lodge
Ranked #2 of 65 Specialty Lodging in Moshi
Saint Louis, Missouri
“You can't beat this spot!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I highly recommend experiencing Stella Maris. The people are the friendliest you can find anywhere. The accommodations are super clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is welcoming and refreshing. Teddy, the manager, greets everyone with a smile and will make your stay perfect. Don't miss the chance to visit the primary school the hotel supports. The children's smiles and joyful classrooms were the highlights of my trip. Bring them some school supplies and see their faces light up in gratitude. This is a wonderful place that should not be missed!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel was a great place to stay for me. After just finishing a tour of Africa on a truck I was so happy that the staff at the hotel were so helpful for me. They organised my transfer from my campsite in Arusha to their hotel with their driver. That was a huge relief off my mind. Once I got the hotel I had 3 people help me with my bags AND I was greeted by a lady who had fresh passion fruit and mango juice for me! The rooms were spacious and had everything that I needed. The food from the restaurant was very tasty and there were many charging points for electronics. I also found out the proceeds from the hotel go to towards a non profit school next door, which made me happy as I am a school teacher and know expensive things can be for schools. Also I felt happy to helping the local community with my stay.
The hotel then organised my transfer to Kilimanjaro Airport in the morning of my stay and made my breakfast earlier than they normal serve it! This hotel put a big smile on my face. Thank you very much for your hospitality .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I stayed for a week at the Stella Maris (flying back to the US last Thursday). We were blown away by the hands-on hospitality, care, and concern exhibited by the staff. Rather staying in Arusa or Moshi, this is the place to be - tranquil, restful, great views of Kilimanjaro, and an amazing non-profit mission to boot. Wow!

Room Tip: Suites worked great for our big family requirements.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David W
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Stella Maria Executive Lodge is an incredible establishment. The best and most impressive part of the hotel is that the proceeds are used to run a school. The school is right in front of the hotel. So, travelers staying in the hotel can see the children attending the school during their stay. There is a beautiful view of Mount Kilimanjaro from the front of the hotel. The staff is extremely friendly. You are treated with great hospitality while staying at the Stella Maris. I was staying at the hotel with a large group, and the kitchen staff made all of our meals very pleasurable. I enjoyed the food very much. The free wifi in the lobby is also a great part about the hotel. If you are looking for a hotel to stay in before and after your Kilimanjaro trek or safari trip, the Stella Maris Lodge is the best choice in Moshi. I will always stay at the Stella Maris in my future travels to Moshi.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I spent two weeks at Stella Maris as part of a volunteer medical service team and by the end I did not want to come home. I was immediately taken in by the idea that all of the proceeds gained through the hotel go to the adjacent school to provide adequate education for children who would otherwise have no access to. The staff treat you with the utmost respect and you can really tell their main goal is to make you feel completely comfortable. All of the rooms offer high quality amenities you could ever want while traveling to Tanzania. The rooms are very clean equipped with air conditioning, mosquito bed netting, hot water, and great views! The attached restaurant on the ground floor always gave me very good food and I never had a complaint. It is hard to spend any amount of time in this wonderful place and not want to come back in the future!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you are American, you want all your hotels and rooms to look the same and have no desire to mix with locals then this is the place to stay. Your room neighbors will likely be American, you get to see American teens using their phones in the lobby and there is a school nearby that will make you feel proud. There will be blond med school students or nurses performing some charity work around.
Now, for the seasoned traveler, this place has as much character as a lonely brick. It is just another rectangular box outside of Moshi and there is nothing within walking distance. You can escape from it and take a local bus for 1$ to the town but you will be the only one in the whole hotel doing it. The rest will pay the hotel shuttle to take them from airport and will wait in their rooms until the 4x4 cars show up to take them to safari or Kili or to some charity destination. Then they can check one more thing in their to do list and watch CNN.
And no, I am not saying this because my bed broke at 4am or because the mosquito net fell on me at 6am. I accept this as part of the African experience.
I am saying it because it was the only time in 3 weeks in Tanzania it was boring. But hey, some people like boring - it makes them feel ... safe?

Room Tip: Behind the hotel so that there is no street traffic to hear in the morning.
2 Thank xergiu
Fresno, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I recently stayed there as part of a volunteer medical team and the staff, manager, service, food...EVERYTHING was above and beyond what I expected. They treat you like family and they are very friendly and warm. Everyone is there at your service, It is just like home. I always had a good night's rest. The whole building and its' surrounding is clean. The gates have guards 24 hours a day and the money you pay to stay there goes directly for the school for orphans next to the hotel. It will be hard to find another great place like Stella Maris. You wont want to leave, I guarantee it :)

Room Tip: If you get a room on the third floor you get a good view of Mount Kilimanjaro "faster". If...