“Summit expeditions”

Summit Expeditions and Nomadic Experience - Day Tours
Ranked #19 of 156 Tours in Moshi
More attraction details
Owner description: Summit Expeditions & Nomadic Experience (SENE) is a high quality Tanzania adventure travel company offering day excursions hiking on Kilimanjaro and the surrounding remote villages, bicycling through the coffee farms and African savannah, and running the forested trails encircling the mountain. We provide exquisite accommodations and an unparalleled cultural experience in our Mbahe Village guest cottages high on the slopes of Kilimanjaro on SENE owner Simon Mtuy's ancestral farm. SENE was founded in 1998 by Simon, mountain guide and international ultra-runner, who continues to carry out his vision of a sustainable, ethical, locally-owned adventure travel service that promotes the beauty of Tanzania while contributing to the well-being of its people and environment.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Recently my husband and son went to kilimanjaro. They had a few extra days after the hike to do a safari. My husband contacted Summit Expeditions and spoke to Tim in the United States. My husband commented to me how resourceful and nice he was and was very excited about the safari after the climb. Unfortunately, my son and husband had a medical emergency and they had to leave Kilimanjaro with in 48 hours. Tim was incredibly understanding and although the refund policy states no refunds if the trip was canceled only a few days before the trip, Tim was kind enough to refund us some of the feel that we paid. That was extremely kind of him and shows good character which is certainly what you want when you are on any of these climbs or safaris. Thank you again and both my husband and son are doing well.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

SENE is absolutely the best company with which to summit Kilimanjaro. My wife and I just went in February. Our guides, Ayumwi and John, were exceptional. The food was fantastic -- fresh and local from Simon Mtuy's (SENE's founder) family farm at the base of the mountain, which is a real differentiator from other companies. We were blown away by how good it was.

The professionalism of the company is top notch -- they test your vital signs and oxygen levels every day, they are very cautious on the mountain, and go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable. We cannot recommend SENE highly enough!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was my second kili climb/safari combo with SENE and as before the organisation, help, experience and the trip itself were excellent.

1  Thank m_k_schaefer
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Made a Safari-Kili-Zanzibar tour with with SENE in July 2012 and couldn't have been happier.
Everything was all set up for us before we arrived so that everything (including all the transfers with internal Tanzania flights etc) went smoothly and we could enjoy our holiday without having to worry about anything.

They (Tim) was very helpful and prompt in replying to any questions we had when planning the tour and all staff and guides in Tanzania were easy going, smiling and experienced.

If you consider going to Tanzania and especially if you consider climbing Kili I recommend SENE. Was a bit skeptical at first about booking with a local company where I had not met any of the people and considered a Norwegian company for a while, but I am now very glad that I chose SENE and would without doubt do so again.

1  Thank Anfinsen
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We contacted several safari companies before choosing SENE to plan our trip, and we were glad we did. If you're an American, there's a very, very helpful American contact to work with by e-mail and phone. He listened closely to what we wanted, helped us make decisions based on his close knowledge of Tanzania, and responded patiently and promptly to my endless lists of questions....even helped me learn a few words of Swahili. The TZ guide, Gerald, was amazing, not only a friendly, knowledgeable guy, but he can spot animals that to us were only dots on the horizon. He too made the trip a fascinating experience. One of the hotels we stayed at, Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, was a bad choice, but there was no other alternative as other lodges were all booked (see my TripAdvisor review about that place for details.). So plan early! The other lodges were magnificent, and SENE had prepared them to meet our complicated dietary needs. Out there in the bush, that's truly an awesome feat. The only problem for me was the last stop at Mbahe Farm (where the owner of SENE lives). It's a steep uphill climb that, frankly, was scary, as I have some mobility problems. My husband, our son, and his wife all made it and were able to walk around the Farm. But if you have concerns about such climbing, talk to someone at SENE. In sum, I'd heartily recommend this company, especially if you share our interest in working with a Tanzanian-owned company. Oops..almost forgot, the SENE booklet and guidelines they send before the trip is highly informative and useful.