“An Oasis” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 49 Moshi B&B and Inns
Westport, New Zealand
“An Oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent two days here prior to our 5 day exciting and wonderful safari ( organised by Tembotamu)and two days after. Sandra is a wealth of local information and is very generous with herself and her hospitality. Her BnB is homelike and casual with a good opportunity to meet other friendly travellers. It is an oasis just out of busy Moshi. We walked into town a couple times and it was easy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New Castle NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I came to Moshi to work on a business project and needed a convenient place that met all my needs. Sandra offered their 2 BR cottage as I needed a meeting and work area. It was comfortable, spacious, ideal as our meeting place, convenient to Moshi town yet peaceful and quiet, and very reasonable in price. But what made everything perfect was the way that all my daily needs were met. Working in the cottage with my colleagues, we often enjoyed delicious lunches prepared in Sandra's kitchen. She was an invaluable asset to me in terms of local knowledge, no matter how obscure the subject I was trying to master. And it was enjoyable to be there with her family in the company of other interesting guests. They also offer all sorts of tours, day trips, safaris and climbing trips. No matter what you are doing in Moshi, Tembotamu is a great place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was my second visit to Tembotamu and it was also excellent. Sandra picked me up at the bus station - an excellent beginning to my visit. The accommodation is clean and comfortable. Food is fine and the organization to get to the airport functioned without problems. All good. I will return.

Room Tip: The outside rooms are more private
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Its a well worn cliche but staying with Sandra and little Tony felt really homely. I stayed with my gf one night before my Kili-climb and then I stayed here another 3 nights following my successful summiting. We both enjoyed the warmth personal feeling of Tembotamu a lot more than the resort-ish Honeybadgers out of town.

The rooms were supercosy and Sandra was generous with her wifi dongle setup. The food is homecooked and breakfast, while having few items are nicely varied from day to day and everything is done supremely well, including the yoghurt and amazing mango. Sandra also invited us to dine out in town with her friends and offered us a ride. Tembotamu really is a small home with many guests staying long term, make sure to book well in advance if you want your own home in Arusha!

Expect:
Learning about local life from Sandra and the lovely group of guests who are (usually) involved with the local community
Amazing breakfast and homecooked dinners
Cosiest bedrooms

Don't expect:
To stay impersonal
Unlimited wifi, its through a 3g USB dongle

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

It has taken waaaaay too long for me to write this review but it has been on my mind since leaving the gorgeous Tembotamu. Three of us stayed with Sandra, Frank and Toni in July 2013 and did both Kili and a two day safari with them.
They could not have been more accommodating and helpful. My bag got lost and was nowhere to be found and both Frank and Sandra did everything to help me get my bag just in time for the climb.
Breakfast is to die for, delicious fruit, pancakes, passion fruit jam and lots lots more, yum! Don't think twice just book it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Its hard to find a good place to stay in Moshi. You either have the overprices tacky Tanzanian hotels with plastic furniture or the really dirt cheap backpacker places with communal bathrooms and laundry handing in the lobby. TemboTamu is the perfect middle ground that has neither of those things. The price is great, location is convenient (about 5 mins cab from town), quiet, cozy and relaxing. The place is small, located next to the owners' home, and very anonymously located on a little side road. Sandra, the owner, will help you with just about anything you need and will have a delicious healthy breakfast ready for you in the morning (with real coffee - no Africafe!). Such a lovely surprise to come across this place.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tarangire room - lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Our stay at Tembotamu in September 2013 got off to a bad start: we got sick on the airplane in. It was so, so nice to finally arrive at Tembotamu after a long journey and have Sandra look after us. We immediately felt at home. Sandra took great care of us and arranged for our plans to be changed.
We had booked a trip to Kilimanjaro with her, as well as a six day safari. She arranged it in such a way that we had a couple of days at the B&B to recover, we went on safari after that and ended with the Kili-climb. Sandra really saved our holiday (actually our honeymoon) by rearranging everything! She will do everything she can to make your stay as enjoyable as she possibly can. Really, you won't find a more welcoming host anywhere. She will drive you into town, arrange trips for you, cook you dinner, etc.
We loved every minute of our stay at Tembotamu. The safari and Kili-climb were both great as well. Very well organised, the guides and cooks were fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple