We recently spent 7 nights at Honey Badger Lodge with a group of 22 people. While the experience was awesome I thought I would share of few things so people know what to expect when they book there:
1. Rooms- the rooms have mosquito nets in them with comfortable beds, running water, flush toilets and a great breeze (with screened windows).
2. The bar was awesome and you can purchase water, soda and drinks for a reasonable price. Large waters were 2500 Tsh. The bartender was awesome and is willing to share great stories. There is a TV to watch sports also.
3. Internet- Unfortunately when we were there the internet was not working there or in Dar es Salaam either but our phones were able to get reception. The last 2 days of our stay the internet was back up and running and I was able to access WiFi on my porch too (Rm 10).
4. Pool- great pool, warm with a deep and shallow end. Pool closes at 6 pm.
5. Electricity: We came during the rainy season and had a few bouts where the electricity was off and the solar had kicked in (made the outlets not work). The electricity is run by the government and they can turn it off and on as they please. Recommend bringing solar phone chargers (and for laptops) if needed. Highly recommend bringing a flashlight as it gets dark at night.
6. Food: Fabulous! Options for vegetarians as well. Breakfast usually consisted of scrambled eggs, beans, sausage, bread, fruit and fruit juices. They graciously packed our lunches (as we were out during the day doing humanitarian work with Hope Without Borders (www.hwb-intl.org). Dinner was always different and always a treat.
7. Transportation: We used their transportation for several days and they picked us up from the airport in 2 buses. They have vans and Land Cruisers and the drivers (Hans, George and Casta were awesome). They also arranged several outings for us that proved to be wonderful.
8. Rooms (again): The rooms were pleasant, roomy and discussed earlier. We had hot water everyday and wonderful showers. Someone had problems with ants one day and they quickly moved them to another room, otherwise the rooms had a few of the normal insects (that's why you have nets for sleeping) and an occasional small lizard in the shower (cute and harmless).
I personally never saw a lizard in the shower but one of our team members did.
9. Location: HB is about 45 minutes from the Kilimanjaro airport and not far from a wide variety of activities. You can't really walk anywhere to shop but like I said they do offer transportation for a reasonable fee.
A few pointers: You should tip the staff and drivers. The staff have a tip box near the bar (recommended to tip that way) and the drivers can be tipped daily individually. Bring a flashlight and solar chargers and I am sure you will have a wonderful experience like our team of 22 did. We left as 1 big family (the staff became like family and were very friendly). Not all the staff speak fluent English but if needed they can find someone who can. Jenny and Joey were awesome!!!! (so was Mama Lucy). I would recommend this place to anyone and highly recommend it to large groups.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our lodge is a family run, solar powered oasis situated just outside Moshi town (Tanzania) with breathtaking views of Mount Kilimanjaro. Our grounds are spacious and gardens are lush providing guests with a lovely natural relaxing environment. Our location enables guests to experience rural life in Tanzania and therefore feel they are more in touch with the country they are visiting. We are THE BEST VALUE ACCOMMODATION OPTION IN THE REGION. We offer tailored made mountain climbing and safari packages and a wide variety of local and cultural tours and activities. These include: coffee tours, trips to visit waterfalls, hot springs, caves and blacksmiths. forest and village walks, African banquets, drumming and dancing shows, cooking, drumming and dancing lessons and more. The best part is, when you choose to support us you are inadvertently supporting local community development initiatives. The directors of Honey Badger have over 12 years of experience in the field of community development and public health and are working hard to ensure Honey Badger is an integral part of the community and its development. We also have volunteer placements for those interested in staying longer and getting involved. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Honey Badger Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honey Badger Hotel Moshi