“Homey”
Review of Honey Badger Lodge

Honey Badger Lodge
Ranked #2 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed October 31, 2011

stayed at the honey badger for 3days, it was a pleasent stay, the staff was excellent, warm and friendly. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Got some really good advice about travelling around moshi from Joey and Moses. They arrange tours as well. Went on the Forest tour which was really nice, saw a hundred plus year old tree, creppy animals and rice paddles. Breakfast is basic, but if you need anything extra they cater to your needs at an extra cost. Pleasant place to stay if you are looking for some peace and quite away from the city. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank myraabdullah
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

We really enjoyed having you to stay and glad you had a good time at the lodge and on the tours. The forest is a special place for us, and we are always happy when our guests enjoy it as much as we do. We really hope you will come back one day and stay for longer. All the best Joey

PS we are making changes to our breakfasts in 2012, so you don't have to worry about them being basic!!!

Reviewed October 19, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here by recommendation from a friend. The lodge is beautiful, with clean rooms, a pool and located in a remote area which is great as it gets you away from the hustle and bustle of East Africa. The eating arrangements are very social and the food was very good and authentic. Everyone eats from a set menu together in the evenings which is a great way to meet other people and for everyone to share their experiences and also exchange details of other great places along the way.

We did a number of day trips through Honey Badger and they were all good. However, the safari was just amazing. We did the five day four night safari to Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti, camping. Camping is such a great experience, listening to the animals sniffing around your tent in the middle of the night, and then seeing the look of shear panic on your girlfriends face is just priceless. The safaris are private so we had our own driver and chef. The driver lost interest every now and again but I suppose anyone would working the number of hours a day they do. The chef was incredible, always food ready and waiting for us, always more food than you can eat and of good quality. Showers are not great at all in the campsites so if you are a princess then perhaps look at lodges.

Jenny also helped us book our forward transport which was most helpful, along with any of our other needs. She sat with us at the bar a couple of nights for a drink and it was very interesting to hear about the work and projects she was doing.

I would highly recommend Honey Badger to everyone. Foolishly we did not climb Mount Khilimanjaro but I suppose that gives us another reason to go back ;o)

Happy travels!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B0BJ0B

Thank you for choosing us for your Tanzanian adventure. We are glad you had a good time and that you enjoyed your safari. You didn't tell us enough stories about the 'look on your girlfriends face' during your camping trip!!! perhaps when you are back next time we can continue the tales!! We look forward to you coming back to scale the mighty mountain!
All the very best
Jenny and Joseph

Reviewed October 1, 2011

My 10 day stay at Honey Badger Lodge was a real gift of a holiday. Although on my own, I never felt alone and was always warmly included by Jenny and her mother, Jane and by the local staff. Breakfast by the pool...radiant sunshine...surrounded by lush verdant growth....views of Kilimanjaro...daily lessons in picking up useful Swahili phrases (thanks Mercedes!)...super clean room, comfy bed and hot solar powered showers...amazingly fresh and innovative menu...(thanks Mama Lucy) and the warm family atmosphere - this place is a real gem to discover. The place caters for camping groups, volunteer workers, individual or family groups. You can enjoy absolute peace and quiet and privacy or socialize at the bar - the choice is yours. What impressed me was the way Jenny and Moses aim to cater for any need be it adventurous, cultural or simply the need for restorative time, they offer it all. My safari trip was well organized and met every expectation. Moshi is only a challenging and cheap 10 minute ride by local bus (daladala).
What really wants to make me return is friendships I made with the family, staff and opportunity to donate time and energy to the numerous community projects this place supports. If you want to experience life with the locals and enjoy the comforts of home...this is what you want ... a hidden patch in paradise.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thank you for your very kind words about our place, we very much enjoyed having you here. You really did feel like one of the family. We would also like to specifically thank you for your support to the Second Chance Education Centre. The children continue to improve their English using the materials you kindly donated. The teachers have used them and the volunteers have continued to encourage the school in this area. We do hope you will be able to return one day, you are always welcome here (or to the UK!). Many many thanks.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at the Honey Badger Lodge for 3 weeks whilst doing volunteer work with the Second Chance Education Centre which is behind the lodge. From the minute that I arrived I was taken care of (my bags didn't show up with me and Jenny, the owner immediately gave me some of hers) and felt as though I was part of the family straight away. The staff became my friends and Jenny & Joey were the most amazing hosts. The whole atmosphere of Honey Badger was awesome - the grounds make you feel as though you could either spend the day being pampered and sitting by the pool (or conversely do one of the many activities in Moshi that the Lodge offers), the rooms are comfortable and the food was so good I wanted to take the Chef, Florence, home with me. As a solo traveller not once was I by myself. There was always travellers coming through with great stories and everyone sat together at dinner time like a big community, as if we hadn't just met the day before.
Working at Second Chance Education Centre was one of the best things I have ever done in my life - the kids were so beautiful and wanting to learn about everything they could get their hands on. There is no doubt that i'll be coming back to the school and Honey Badger. Thanks so much Jenny, Joey and Amos!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Melanie T

We miss you already! The students have asked after you already as well. Thank you for your hard work volunteering and for bringing a smile to so many people's faces. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and look forward to seeing yourself and your family back here in a few years.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband and I have recently returned from Tanzania and spent a few nights at Honeybadger. We don’t often bother to write reviews (pure laziness on our behalf) but felt compelled to do a quick write up after our fantastic stay at this lodge. We stayed in one of the private rooms which were great, very comfortable and clean. The pool area was like a welcome oasis in the desert, a great place to unwind and enjoy a bit of downtime before our Safari and Kili adventures which the owners of Honeybadger arranged for us (thanks Joey and Jenny)! What we really liked about the lodge was its community commitment, helping the local schools to benefit from tourism in the area. We had the opportunity to meet some of the students (hello Irene and Mercedes!!) who also helped to make items for sale in the gift shop, a great idea of how the local communities can work together with business owners to help better their own circumstances. I can’t say much more than what a breath of fresh air, would certainly recommend the lodge to any travellers passing through. Thanks again to all those who made our trip so enjoyable and stress free!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tamsyn m

Thank you for choosing to come and stay with us. We are so glad you and your husband had chance to unwind and relax. It was a pleasure to meet you and to organise your trips for you, we loved your enthusiasm for getting involved and our staff very much enjoyed getting to know you. We really hope you will be able to come back again in the not so distant future... next time to the summit!!! (although the day trip was a good alternative on this trip!!)

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed there for a week whilst doing a climb to the Kili Base Camp, safari in Ngorogorou and also the the secret hot springs. All were good recommendations from the lodge owners Jenny and Joey who couldn't be more helpful, they really know the area inside out which stopped me making the mistakes I normally make.
the lodge itself had a nice new swimming pool (unexpectedly) and a friendly bar/restaurant area which made it easy to meet other people who all had tales to tell about their climb or adventure. It's the sort of place you can go to by yourself and it doesn't matter, super friendly vibe. The locals who work there really enjoy being there and the school the lodge supports next door means you feel good about where your money goes for a change!
Fab place and will be back.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Mikevyver

Thank you for your review, we really valued your visits. Joseph and I, as well as all our staff LOVED having you here, especially when you got behind the bar to serve us!!! And not to mention when you showed the local school your skills on the frisbee pitch! We look forward to welcoming you back here again one day. Many many thanks

Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed here as a solo traveller just last week. I loved it from the get go. It was beautiful and relaxing and the owners Joey and Jenny made sure that they spoke to you to give it a very homely feel. I organised my Kili trek through the lodge and it was fantastic. They were very responsive and catered well to my needs. I also participated in a cooking class at the lodge which was great fun. I doubt that you could get better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank julesjg
HoneyBadgerLodge, Manager at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2011

Thank you very much for your review. We very much enjoyed having you here. You did so well on your trek and came down looking as fresh as you went up!!! Looking forward to seeing you again when you pass through on your overland truck travels. Enjoy the travelling.