“A great experience”

Kilemakyaro Mt. Lodge
Ranked #20 of 69 Specialty Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Staff at this hotel were fantastic. They do not speak much English but I am lucky I am fluent in Kiswahili. They work hard and are very helpful. The rooms are very basic but comfortable. Wifi was available near reception but was very slow. We were frustrated at not being able to see the mountain as it was very cloudy the first 3days! On the 3rd day we were able to see the stunning view of the Uhuru and Kibo peaks! Its is breathtaking! The food was great. The downside is that the lodge is tucked a long way from town. All in all, a glad I had this experience.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception are lucky to get wifi.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Kilemakyaro Mt. Lodge

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here after travelling from Arusha and my Serengeti week long camping adventure. A perfect place for a few days to relax and prepare for next adventures. We took a Waterfalls and Coffee Plantation tour with Materuni Tours plus did some hiking thru the villages around the Kilemakyaro Lodge.

Rooms are in small thatched roof huts, beds have mosquito nets (tho I never saw any mosquitos), room and bath VERY clean; all appear to have a view of Kili from the porch - I spent many hours on the porch looking out over the villa and Kili while enjoying a beer and my reading.

Lodge maintenance was superb; staff was always cleaning or raking something; staff was exceptionally polite, very good English and willing to help with my needs. Restaurant was quite good with reasonable selection for a captive kitchen.

I complained to the manager about the racket outside my room; I said I had this roar in my ears that was always present; he was alarmed. Then I continued that the honey bees were making SO much noise. Point is the lodge and grounds are so quiet and relaxing that the noise of the honey bees was the loudest thing I could hear.

Highly recommended for a lodge about 15KM outside of Moshi, heading up towards Kili; in a large gated compound that is surrounded by local villages and local folks working small farms and plantations - so very interesting local walks.

Room Tip: All of the bungalo's seem to have a slider and veranda facing Kilimanjaro; so I think all rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dean r
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were in Moshi and heard about the great location of this place. And this is true: absolutely STUNNING views of Mount Kilimanjaro and the gardens are very nice.

EXCEPT: they won't let non-residents use their swimming pool. And there were hardly any residents there at the time! It is standard hotel policy to allow non-residents use the swimming pool - for a fee. Why would they let us eat there if they didn't want outsiders?

The whole feel of the place is: WE DO NOT WANT GUESTS. Feels like a retirement home. Typical of Tanzanian owned lodges where people believe that just because they have built a hotel, suddenly they are equipped with the skill set to manage it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nyerere
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff of the hotel are very accommodating and they will go an extra mile for your comfort. Their food was superb and i will certainly undertake this trip again. When you are lucky to have clear skies the view of the mountain is spectacular and mind boggling. I cannot seem to forget about my experience and i will want to climb that mountain on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kojo W
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Advantages: very well manicured grounds, nice pool, stunning views of the Kilimanjaro Mt., fairly big rooms, quiet and peaceful, surrounded by forest and plantations. Great for evening dinners and beers outside.

Disadvantages: bad to terrible service, average to bad food (didn't strike me as very clean), frequent power outages (can mean no hot water in the morning)

If you're staying here one or maximum two nights with plans to hike or trek, this place is going to be ok. Don't expect more than you are paying for. It is an average place for an average price. The rooms are fine, not great. The staff isn't unfriendly, they're just not very competent. The whole place is like that, nothing really bad but nothing very good either. Except...

After I had checked out but not yet left the hotel, they thought it would be a good idea to put my luggage on someone else's vehicle (going to another lodge in Arusha). Result: I had to go to Arusha to retrieve my luggage and barely managed to make my long haul flight out of Kili airport. No one leaves so far ahead of time to be able to anticipate having to go to another city to get their luggage! The staff didn't seem to care either that I would have to travel several hours to get to Arusha and back to the airport, nor that they made such a serious mistake. I was lucky that I was even able to find my luggage at all and that I had other people to help me with this ordeal.

Room Tip: Stay near reception if you want WiFi access in the room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SODA F
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Older facility with manucured grounds overlooking Mount Kilimanjaro. Very pleasant and accomodating staff--limited menu but with fresh vegtables from their gardens. Small bar with excellent prices and a TV on satellite. Very good wireless internet service in my room. The property is located on a hillside coffee plantation and you need to take a taxi to Moshi. We also ate at the Lutheran Uhuru Hotel which had inexpensive and excellent roast meats--but no alcohol served there--we went to a store and brought our own.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Mountain so you can watch the sunset and sunrise on it. It was cloud covered d...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tlayloff
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The location of the lodge is great - right below the mountain. When the clouds part (if they part), the view is spectacular. But the facilities are run down and the rooms desperately need updating (especially the bathrooms). The rates are way too high for what is offered. What makes up for it is the staff - the owner and his daughter were very kind and thoughtful. We appreciated the staff and their willingness to be of help.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple